Spoilers General Disco Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Lord Garth, Jul 6, 2018.

1. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Quantum21 and Gingerbread Demon like this.
  2. gweeps

gweeps Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Doug Jones is the best thing about Discovery.

Oh, and Zora.

3. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

I quite concur. I hate being told what I should like and why I am wrong for liking the thing that I like. I give people a chance but if they carry on I am a bit more abrasive with them before blocking them on a social platform. Never tried twitter but do read it.

I got told I'm weird for liking Nia Nal in Supergirl and her actress Nicole Maines, but I can't help it I really like her.

4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

She was one of the best additions to the show.

Commander Troi likes this.
  5. SJGardner

SJGardner Commodore Commodore

Hell, I got told I'm weird for saying that I found Tilly cute, because that's apparently an insult to Jeri Ryan's status as Star Trek's No. 1 babe. People gatekeep the most idiotic things.

6. Gingerbread Demon

Tilly is cute

7. BandoOfBorg

BandoOfBorg Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

There is a small but very vocal group of people in any fandom who seem to truly believe that if they don't like something, no one else should, and if they rate something higher/lower than you do and you disagree, you must be an idiot. Personal preference is just that - personal. Enjoy whatever you want, I'll be over here enjoying what I like.

And Tilly is cute.

8. gweeps

I was thinking today how Discovery doesn't transcend the sum of its parts. I like a bunch of the characters, mainly supporting ones, but can't forgive the lack of balance in the storytelling.

Richard S. Ta and Grendelsbayne like this.
  9. BandoOfBorg

A valid criticism. I enjoy Discovery despite it's flawed storytelling, and I do think it got better as it went on.

10. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

IMHO it comes back to the founding flaw of the series - that no one had a good concept for the series. Fuller had an idea, but it wasn't workable (and he was shitcanned) and everyone since then has been working there at the network's behest to try and steer the supertanker into port.

I think Michelle Paradise just about pulled it off, but it's still strangely...bloodless...as a series; particularly because we've now gotten a number of different Trek series where the writers had a very clear idea what they wanted to do with the characters.

gweeps likes this.
  11. gweeps

Yeah. Biggest mistake made has been focusing a lot of the plots on Burnham. I still don't buy her as Captain material. And everybody defers to her, which doesn't make a lot of sense.

Have no desire to rewatch any of it. All the interesting characters have been killed off or marginalized.

12. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Burnham and Saru are my biggest draw. The stories are OK, but not great. Season 1 is still my favorite, followed by Season 4, with some really strong character scenes in 2 and 3.

Commander Troi, BandoOfBorg and Campe like this.
  13. BandoOfBorg

The evolution - literally - of Saru is a highlight of the show IMHO.

Last edited: May 2, 2023
  14. Gingerbread Demon

So what was Fuller's original idea for Disco? What did he want to do?

15. fireproof78

Anthology show, more alien looking creatures, based upon a line from a TOS episode.

I don't think we had much more beyond that.

16. Gingerbread Demon

That sounds interesting, do you know which particular line?

17. fireproof78

I do not believe that was ever shared. That was just the hint given. Unfortunately, Fuller demonstrated difficulty managing the budget and the project, but much of the money had been spent so several assets were kept and worked on and used because of the money.

18. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A lot of hand wringing uncertainty had to be a part of reviving Trek again, especially on a new platform. That they docked the ship as well as they did is the big deal imo.

I'd rather celebrate the successes than bemoan the scratches in the paint. It could have been a lot worse. Star Trek Lives!

19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

In addition to what's already been mentioned, Fuller's original plan for Lorca was rather than being from the Mirror Universe, he was from another alternate reality, one where the Battle at the Binary Stars turned out differently and Michael Burnham was instead celebrated as a hero who prevented war as opposed condemned as a criminal who started one. It's because of this, that Lorca takes such an interest to Prime Michael and helping her redeem herself.

20. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

I wonder how the writer's strike will affect the show if it goes on for more than a week or two?

The last one lasted over 3 months and fucked with a lot of television shows.