Gender Swapped Doctors!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Captaindemotion, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Relax! Matt Smith hasn't been replaced by Kate Winslet/ Judi Dench/ Jessica Hynes/ female of your dreams or nightmares for the next season. But this is an interesting little article about a particular branch of DW fandom, namely women who like to dress up - not as the companions, but as female versions of the Doctor.

Some very nice costumes too. The female Colin Baker is definitely way easier on the eye than the real thing!

http://io9.com/5887847/gender+swapp...favorite-form-of-doctor-who?tag=thisisawesome

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Of course, the original Femme Cosplayer is Lala Ward ;)

A lot of interesting costumes there. Probably the most creative, imo, is the one that looks like it's essentially made up entirely of Tom Baker's scarf. Good diversity of Doctors, going back all the way to William Hartnell (no Jon Pertwee love from what I can see).

In the midst of all the pretty pictures, the interviewee does make some good points, though. I do think this reflects, to some degree, the lack of satisfaction with the female characters. There's probably only so much you can do, however. The show has had some great companions over the years, but they'll always just be companions to the main star of the show (leaving aside the early Hartnell years where the title character might not have been the star).

3. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I remember watching a video, on YouTube of a girl was going to cos-play as a female Watson.

Dressing up generally can involve some form of crossdress and "sexy" outfits, work for almost anything be it normally male or female people, or animals people dress up as.

Look for example at the female K9*, the costume is really "a woman dressed as K9" rather than an attempt to look exactly like K9 (which is harder) same for all the girls dressed as the Doctor. *see also Dalek Girls

I certainly dont see any reason why cos-players cant dress as there favourite characters, if it involves either cross dressing, or gender changing the character, im pretty sure cos-playing is meant to be about fun, after all.

Cant argue with female Captain Jack either.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  4. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

I like that in general those ladies weren't going for trashy sexy but just looking like the doctor. It was all wonderfully creative. I also like that they looked like lady versions of the Doctor instead of just the Doctor.

5. DrCorby

DrCorby Captain Captain

And one of the young ladies in the top picture looked quite a bit like Lala Ward!

There were a few pictures that included an older lady dressed like William Hartnell. And in most of those, there was another young lady nearby that appeared to be Susan, the 1st Doctor's granddaughter. Or were my eyes playing tricks on me?

All in all, an intriguing set of pictures and an interesting interview.

6. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm liking the TARDIS :lol:. Why not? As a guy, I wouldn't dress as one of the male companions, why should the women be limited?

7. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

personal opinon time here, but im not keen on the Girl TARDIS in the image, nothing wrong with it, I just think its a bit plain. Kinda 60s however.

As for the male companions, this leads me to wonder what male versions of female companions would be like.

8. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

You mean male non-drag versions?

9. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

lol yes I mean non drag versions. "Gender Changed Companions" if we use the thread title as a reference point.

What would gender change Leela, Jo Grant or Martha look like, Rule 63 if you will.

10. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Speaking as a nearly-50 year old, those costumes are just adorable. Nice to see Who fandom has barely changed over the years.
    I remember back in the 80's one of the female members of our group was a huge Troughton fan and had a lovely second doctor costume for cons.

11. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

Fabulous! I love the costumes, and it's nice to see so many young women into Who. I wish I were still active in fandom. I miss it. :wah:

12. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    [​IMG]
    To the person who lamented no 3rd Doctor, I think the woman 2nd from the left in the green plaid is supposed to be a 3rd Doctor.

Personally, I'm just tickled that the 11th Doctor in this photo has River Song hair.

And I really like all of the lady versions of the 5th Doctor. Photos like that make me think it could work for real on the series.

Meanwhile, the female versions of Captain Jack just make me feel confused & insecure. :o ;)

"Did you wish really hard?":p

I would note that, beyond any gender studies analysis or critique of the lack of engaging female characters on the show, I suspect one of the reasons why you see this so much with the Doctors & not the companions is because the Doctors have a tendency to dress the same all the time and wear something outrageous. The companions normally just look like normal people.

Although I suppose a male version of Leela would probably get confused for Conan the Barbarian or something.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  13. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

The article's well wrong about female Doctors starting in 2005 - I know a girl who was dressing as the Sixth Doctor in 2001 (and have some pictures of her posing with my wife as Londo Mollari), and I bet it's been going on longer than that.

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^The continuity of real life has been rebooted. Therefore, female Doctors didn't start unti 2005 under the new continuity. ;)

15. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

How is that possible when it was a female Doctor who rebooted the reality?

16. Captaindemotion

^ CANON VIOLATION!!!!!!

17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff.

18. Captaindemotion

^ And wibbly-wobbly bits.

19. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I must be the one Dr Who fan who remembers boobies... As opposed to the girl who remembers stars.

20. Captaindemotion

^ Most male DW fans haven't actually seen real boobies and are thus incapable of remembering them!

*Ducks and runs away!