Gas Prices

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Tom Hendricks, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Under the Sea Premium Member

What is your price of gas/petro per gallon/liter. The price of gas has seriously fallen.

I filled up the Odyssey yesterday, the pump price was $3.11. Because I shop at the supermarket this gas station is affiliated with, I got $.40 off a gallon. So I paid $2.71 a gallon, which is wicked cheap.

ETA: I should have said it was Unleaded Regular.

2. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Even in rip-off Britain, I've noticed the price drop. Getting just under £1.20 p/litre (unleaded petrol)

3. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I tend to notice the diesel prices more, but for me, that's dropped to around the £1.24 per litre mark where I go.

4. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I'm nowhere near a gas station, and haven't driven since '95 anyway, but Business Week says prices in Phoenix are $2.96/gal. I remember seeing a news story a week or so ago saying they should be down for a while.

5. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

$2.82 at the nearest Amoco ($2.88 for credit or debit card).

BTW, this 6 to 10 cent charge for using plastic really annoys me. :scream::scream: I understand that there are fees for the merchant when customers use plastic. But what about cash? They have to count it, stick it in a bag, grab their gun for protection when going to the bank, and actually go to the bank using up gas. Not to mention money is filthy.

Sounds like they should be charging fees for cash, considering all the handling issues. Maybe I should delete this post before some gas station owner reads it and gets a bright idea. :eek:

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Premium Member

I know there are credit card fees, but I've never actually heard of anyone charging more to use one.

7. Melakon

I see. So now you want to penalize the poor even further for paying cash because they can't qualify for a credit card. :shifty:

If I sound cranky, it's because after my money hit the bank early today (instead of Monday as I was expecting), I walked a half mile to a convenience store to buy some food after subsisting on saltine crackers for two weeks. Got the items I wanted, put them on the counter, was about to swipe my debit card or credit card, but their machine was out of order so it was cash only. Walked another half mile home, then another 3 blocks to the other convenience store which was open by then, and then another 3 blocks home again. So I walked a fucking mile for nothing.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  8. Green Shirt

Wow. :confused: You must have really misunderstood what I was saying, perhaps I should have worded it more clearly.

First, I do not have a credit card, only a debit one. With my financial problems, I couldn't buy an ice cream cone on credit. So, according to your definition, I am one of the poor you accuse me of not giving a shit about. Second, in my own apparently clumsy way I was not supporting fees for cash, just railing against the seemingly unfair fees for using plastic.

So, whatever. Its all good.

9. Melakon

It's banks. Banks are crooks. Fortunately, I'm with a credit union and did qualify for a credit card but it has a $1000 limit. It's the first credit card I've had in 40 years. Even when I was making $40k during the 80s I couldn't qualify due to problems in the 70s.

10. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was around $2.85 where I'm at. It's been steadily falling (for the most part) as of late.

11. Green Shirt

Most, but not all gas stations I know charge more for credit/debit cards.

I've actually had a cashier in an auto parts store tell me I had to spend at least $10 to use my card.

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Premium Member

Well, I know that bars sometimes have policies like that when people want to start tabs. You have to spend a minimum amount in order to run a credit card, otherwise it's not worth it for the business to pay that fee (because it is pretty substantial).

13. Melakon

Depending on what type of payment processor a merchant goes through, I think it can cost them a flat amount on each transaction. The odd one to me is a local chicken joint doesn't charge extra for a credit card or cash, but adds 70 cents for using a debit card, which goes through the same card reader.

14. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

True it's come down a bit in the UK but even at that to compare it that would be around US$2/litre. The US is still relativley cheap for petrol prices.

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

(U.S.)$2.88 U.S. GAL here a few days ago, now up to $2.98.

Got it for $2.48 the other day using my shopper/discount card.

16. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored That's not... ahhhh... logical, man Moderator

Cheapest near me is $2.99 per gallon at Costco, followed by $3.05 at Arco, and $3.09 at Mobil.

17. mimic

mimic Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

$2.69 as of Friday. I looked at a gas price heat map and where I live appears to have some of the lowest prices in the nation.

18. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

$1.12.9 a liter today, its come down, but my gut says it'll be back up by Wednesday to the $1.20+ mark, lol

19. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I filled up my Sentra at Speedway last night at $2.59 a gallon. From dead empty, it only cost me $30 to fill it up :techman:

20. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

$2.75 here.

As for charging for credit, I have only very rarely seen that, usually when I'm driving through Florida. And even then it's usually just for diesel.