Garrett Wang

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Athena28, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

That implies Krenim space was within Borg space, and I seriously doubt the Borg would not have assimilated them.

10,000 light years... that's far bigger than even Federation space, and none of the empires of the Delta Quadrant were anywhere near that large. With the obvious exception of the Borg.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Annorax got rid of the Borg.

Which allowed for unstoppable expansion.

gweeps likes this.
  3. Farscape One

Annorax stopped the Borg? That's a big stretch.

4. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Oh, I have little doubt that if Tuvix had appeared before a Starfleet tribunal and argued that he had a right to live, it would have been affirmed, and protected by law afterward. But with no precedent in place, Janeway's actions were not a crime.

I think Annorax could have stopped the Borg, if he could get his temporal doohickey to whatever world spawned them. But that's not necessary.

Instead, maybe the Krenim Imperium was indeed 10,000 LY across (the Federation was 8000). Voyager was never targeted by Annorax because it was too far away. After a hellish year of fighting Krenim warships, Annorax's crew finally rebelled against him (because they had a 98% restoration and he ruined it). In the process of the fight, the temporal core was destabilized, the timeship erased itself from existence, and history reverted to normal: the Krenim were once again a small polity, no threat to anyone. This ended the Year of Hell.

The cruel irony is that Voyager doesn't take its temporal shields offline at the time of the final incursion, so even though the Krenim have been effectively erased from history, the damage they did is not.

Last edited: May 15, 2023
    Farscape One likes this.
  5. Farscape One

But if the year of hell ended like you mentioned, that means Voyager would not have gone through it to begin with. Which is the same result as the actual two-parter.

That means Janeway, Torres, Carey, and anyone else didn't die in that Year of Hell, and "BEFORE AND AFTER" wouldn't have occured.

FanST and Oddish like this.
  6. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Yeah, sorry, I posted in a hurry. I edited the post to explain why it ended that way.

Farscape One likes this.
  7. Farscape One

Interesting theory, not taking off the temporal shielding. That works.

8. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

That's why before Janeway went Whammo on the timeship, she ordered the fleet to take their shields offline.

Farscape One likes this.
  9. Farscape One

Very true.

And since Chakotay was likely never taken by Annorax in the "BEFORE AND AFTER" timeline, he wouldn't have the temporal education he received from Annorax and wouldn't really know to just take the temporal shields offline. (He wasn't really shown to be as adept at temporal mechanics as Janeway, Tuvok, Kim, or Torres.)

So that Year of Hell would stay.

10. Guy Gardener

Seven of Nine was not on Voyager in the Before and After Timeline/episode.

Borg space was either shaped different, since Before and After was both a month away from Borg Space and Borg Space was inbetween Before and After and year of Hell, or not there at all.

No Borg, no 8472. Or at least, they stay in Fluidic Space.

If Kes meets 8472, she turns into a god and leaves, so there was no 8472 in the Before and After Timeline/Episode, so the Borg did not exist at that local in timespace, or at all.

However!

The Borg are not temporally Inert.

If you found their point of origin, then the Queen, centuries earlier, in First Contact targets another planet with her interplexing beacon, or those two drones from Enterprise chose a new home world to go home to.

Annorax can change the shape of Borg Space, by changing which planets/cultures it assimilates, but out right destruction might be impossible since there are thousands of Cubes on time travel missions, and Queens are omni temporal... They can register multiple timelines simultaneously, both of which plays havoc with Annorax's weapon.

Maybe because Janeway wasn't there, Chakotay betrayed the Borg early on and he murdered Seven of Nine like he almost did in the prime timeline. Although "The Borg assimilate civilizations, not individuals", so Captain Chakotay's Voyager should have been totally safe bisecting Borg Space for years, as long as he didn't do anything stupid.

PS

Krenim Qomar (the Planet from the episode Virtuoso, with a Krenim Flag planted in it's bosom.) is 25 - 35 thousand lightyears from Season 3 of Voyager.

Last edited: May 15, 2023
  11. Farscape One

I echo Miles O'Brien's sentiments on time travel.

"I hate temporal mechanics."
    Both Miles O'Briens, "VISIONARY"

FanST, gweeps, Oddish and 1 other person like this.
  12. Ragitsu

Ragitsu Commodore Commodore

A YouTube comment regarding that scene between Picard and Janeway in Nemesis ->

13. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

This scene would have been 10,000x better if she said, "I'll have Lieutenant Kim transmit the data."

FTFY. :nyah:

No effusive thanks are necessary.

gweeps likes this.
  14. Ragitsu

Ragitsu Commodore Commodore

15. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a matter of what we both prefer, I think.
    Both theories are actually possible.
    Not to mention that the Lynxverse sometimes differ a little from "canon". :techman:
    But personally I find it hard to think that the original crew was killed.

gweeps likes this.
  16. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Voyager re-established contact with Starfleet after four years or so. Assuming that it's a fairly standard policy to promote ensigns after a few years (unless they've really fouled up), one wonders whether Starfleet ever suggested to Janeway that Kim's promotion (and of several others) was/were due.

gweeps likes this.
  17. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Probably not. Once contact was restored, Starfleet had the authority to hand out promotions on Voyager, and Janeway would have had to carry it out. And further, in S7, the showrunners doubled down hard on their intention to keep Harry at ensign, even coming up with explanations for it (that were riddled with inconsistencies). They weren't going to have plot developments that opposed it.

18. Guy Gardener

Dating.

Ensign Kim gets into less trouble trying to get the attention of beautiful women, if they are the same rank or his superior. He can't be charged with abusing an imbalance of power, like Lieutenant Paris does, and become labeled a criminal sex pest.

If you can only safely, maybe even legally, seduce people the same rank as you, why would any sexual being charge forward towards smaller and smaller dating pools until he is Captain and allowed NO ONE.

19. Guy Gardener

Is that a shadow by his feet, or did Kim wet himself?

20. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Harry had lots of romances, and I think only one involved an active crew member who had a rank.
    His girlfriend/fiancee ("Non Sequitur")
    A hologram who wasn't actually a hologram ("Alter Ego")
    Several Taresians ("Favorite Son")
    Tom's 3-year-old daughter ("Before and after")
    An ex-Borg who didn't have a clue ("Revulsion")
    The Delaney sister who wasn't interested in him ("Thirty Days")
    Alien luminescent STD lady ("The Disease")
    A reanimated dead shipmate ("Ashes to Ashes")
    A hologram who was actually a hologram ("Spirit Folk". Mooooooo.)
    An alien space terrorist ("Drive")

Logic suggests that it's a shadow.
    1. Piss would be yellow.
    2. If Harry had gone potty pants, he would look embarassed.