Garak - Andrew Robinson’s portrayal

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Elephant999, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Defiler-Of-Redshirts

Defiler-Of-Redshirts Commander Red Shirt

I thought Andrew Robinson was a delicious acting treat in every Garak scene he ever played. Especially his tour-de-force in (the most interestingly, morally ambivalent masterpiece) "In The Pale Moonlight." What an episode that was!

Seven of Five and FanST like this.
  2. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whatever was dangerous about the Obsidian Order lies with Garak; after he left it or was exiled that group had done nothing but a series of countless blunders which nearly crippled Cardassia.

3. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

Or at least at the same time as Garak left. But, yes, the joint venture with the Romulans to destroy the Founders led in a straight line to Cardassia's ruin.

STEPhon IT likes this.
  4. FanST

FanST Lieutenant Red Shirt

Garak is arguably the greatest character in Star Trek history. Andrew Robinson did such an amazing job playing Garak. The acting, the facial expressions, the dialogue delivery, the epic quotes, the humor, the mystery around him, the emotional baggage he was carrying, and the ability to turn into a cold blooded killer at any moment.

5. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

That might be an overstatement.
    A lot of them have baggage.
    I think Odo was great, and Quark.
    I liked Kira but I'd rather be friends with Odo and Quark.
    On Next Generation Reg was good. He was way more interesting than most of the others that's for sure. On next generation it seemed everyone's baggage was either pretty silly or involved that they were just so perfect and it was work for them to be so perfect. (Boring)

Physics of Trekkies likes this.
  6. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

When I start an episode and I see Andrew Robinson in the credits, I know it's going to be good.
    He was so great in DS9 that I'm surprised he wasn't in demand for complex roles in movies, instead of relatively straightforward parts on TV.

7. mlbach

mlbach Captain Captain

Because Scorpio Killer.

8. publiusr

publiusr Vice Admiral Admiral

And Hellraiser...
    In Dirty Harry he made me believe he had been stabbed..,

9. mlbach

mlbach Captain Captain

He was so believable as the SK that he got death threats. He was locked into bad guy roles until he played Liberace, and people (i.e. casting directors) saw that there was more there than just pure evil. Bwahahaha.

kkt likes this.
  10. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Are you suggesting Liberace isn't pure evil? :p

Ar-Pharazon and Lynx like this.
  11. TopperHenly

TopperHenly Lieutenant Red Shirt

Patrick Stewart was in the Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy BBC Miniseies. IIRC, he was starting to thin on top at that time. If you want to see him with a full head of hair watch I, Claudius. Obviously he is a lot younger then but he is totally unrecognisable and I only realised it was him by his distinct voice.

12. TopperHenly

For me, Garek was part of the Old Guard whereas the likes of Dumar were put in positions of authority for the obedience and not being competent in a way to pose a threat to their superiors like Dukat.

STEPhon IT likes this.
  13. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

To me, it's the Garak was a spy, while Damar and Dukat were military officers. Spies operating independently pretty much have to be able to think for themselves and interpret orders and what's best for Cardassia. The military values loyalty and obedience more and independent thought less.

May 20 and mlbach like this.
  14. mlbach

mlbach Captain Captain

I think Stewart was probably wearing a wig when he played Sejanus(sp?) in I Claudius.

15. TopperHenly

That's funny because if memory serves me correctly, it was a fine mane he had in that show and it was fake!!

mlbach likes this.
  16. Jetboogieman

Jetboogieman Commander Red Shirt

Garak was just such a wonderful character, particularly in the episode where he goes crazy because of his implant failing on him, the web of lies he spins and his subsequent line about:

They’re all true.

Even the lies?

Especially the lies.

I don’t think honestly, he ever had a bad moment on screen, his character was definitely one of the most interesting, hands down.

17. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

To be fair, the Dominion fooled two very paranoid, very powerful secret agencies. It was a great long game and they knew just which buttons to push.

18. Jetboogieman

Jetboogieman Commander Red Shirt

And it’s crazy to believe that the Founders would go through all the trouble of creating an entire space empire of such immense power, as to leave their home world completely open to attack without any protection.

A first year Starfleet Academy Cadet probably could have figured out that one which is why it’s so interesting that the Romulan infiltrator must have massaged the entire venture so finely that even someone like Tain was completely blinded to the obvious trap they were talking into.

kkt and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  19. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I was watching these clips earlier today. Great Garak moments.

FanST and Jetboogieman like this.
  20. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

That's what was great about him. He's a character made for us to distrust or dislike.
    I could see where he would annoy someone. He was so smug.
    Him
    And Kai Winn. I wanted to reach into the TV and kill her evil ass most of the time.:lol:
    And Dukat. I wanted to kill him a lot too.
    Garak, mainly I think I would have just wanted to smack him upside the head.