Garak - Andrew Robinson’s portrayal

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Elephant999, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Elephant999

Elephant999 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Garak, after Quark was my favourite character and any episode he was in, was in my eyes, better because of it. The way he unsettled Bashir in his first episode made me laugh out loud.

He had the right balance of humour, sliminess, and mystery , portrayed brilliantly by Andrew Robinson. His interactions with Dukat were often hilarious. I’m glad he was able to return, finally, to Cardassia.

I wish he had been elevated to a regular character instead of Jake and had more screen time. Some of Garak’s mannerisms were sublime.

2. Sojwal

Sojwal Cadet Newbie

Garek is my favorite character as well. I especially like his interaction with Odo and Bashir. One of my favorite scene is where Bashir tells him the story of a boy and wolf.

dupersuper and Worf's Beard like this.
  3. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Do you know the Garak novel A Stitch in Time?..... It's a great reading about Garak's life.

What I really find annoying is that many people claim to like Garak as a character and the show. Nonetheless they don't get the spelling right. It's Garak and not Garek......:rolleyes: :cardie:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  4. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

It's not surprising though, as watching the show we hear the name, not see it in writing. Even in the credits, they don't write the character's name. You'd have to look at Memory Alpha or IMDB or something.

5. Kilana2

You're right. And as a Litverse fan I forget that not everyone has read the novels. Maybe that's why some still write Kahn instead of Khan. (Both do exist by the way).

6. Elephant999

Elephant999 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I definitely have A Stitch in a Time on my reading list! My favourite laugh out loud moment was when he was speaking to the Duras sisters. My favourite unfunny momen5 was when he was sillouetted in the mirror talking to Odo, great acting.

7. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

My favorite Garak moment is telling Bashir after the Klingons beat him up
    That the Klingons will be damaged for life because of his scathing remarks.:lol:

8. IMC Headquarters

IMC Headquarters Fleet Captain Premium Member

Watching Andy Robinson as Garak healed my trauma from his horrific turn as the killer Scorpio in Dirty Harry.

9. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

What acting besides DS9 did Robinson do that would be worth watching?

10. Relayer1

Relayer1 Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know but Garak was enough for me. My favourite Trek character.

A pleasant and gracious man when I met him too.

FanST and Kilana2 like this.
  11. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Commodore

Charley Varrick

12. Kilana2

I don't think that there is a role played by Andrew Robinson that has the same complexity and brilliance Garak has.

13. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

You know you've a good character when he has special chemistry with most of the cast. I liked his relationship with Quark and Worf as much as I liked his chemistry with Bashir.

Sometimes his character talked too much and was written too jokingly, but when the writers wrote him well he was often the highlight of the show. I was glad that he finally got to return home.

One of my favorite Garak moments, an example where he was used perfectly, was when Quark hired him as an assasin in Body Parts. You didn't know whether Garak was playing around or would really follow through.

14. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

He takes his work seriously. On the other hand, Odo and Sisko would probably pester him with Murder 1 charges. And he has no place to go besides DS9.

15. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

GNDN18 likes this.
  16. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Premium Member

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    I think I must've read that book at least five times. It's one of my favourite Trek books - along with anything by Una McCormack.

Sci likes this.
  17. mlbach

mlbach Captain Captain

He did a wonderful portrayal of Liberace in the 1988 made for TV movie of the same name. Way better than Michael Douglas’ portrayal IMHO.
    After his portrayal of the Scorpio killer in Dirty Harry, he was pretty much typecast as psychos and baddies. He wrote about all of this in his autobiography, “Stepping Into the Light .” Excellent book. You can see elements of ASIT in his life story.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  18. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes! I remember laughing out loud upon hearing it for the first time. :lol:

19. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I'm glad he wasn't in every episode. Garak would have been reduced if they had to fit him into every episode.

20. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Commodore Commodore

Andrew Robinsons portrayal was so good, that i sometimes forgot that they had not in fact hired an actual cardassian to play the role

Qonundrum, oberth, Spocko and 6 others like this.