Gameswipe With Charlie Brooker

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Bob The Skutter, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I didn't know whether to put this here or in Gaming, so feel free to move it is in the wrong place.

Looking through the listings on my Media Centre I noticed Gameswipe (Charlie Brooker's latest Wipe show) is scheduled to air on Tuesday 29th at 10pm on BBC Four. Looks like it's a one off hour special at this point, I think he said something about this being a pilot for a series. So heads up fellow Brooker fans.

2. Chimpy Chompy

Chimpy Chompy Commander Red Shirt

Oh, if Brooker's getting back into gaming I'll have to give that a watch. His reviews in PCZone back in the day were usually great reading.

3. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

This is going to be good, i hope he has a segment called Helmut Werstler's Cruelty Zoo.:techman:

4. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Ace. Thanks for the info

5. payndz201

payndz201 Commodore Commodore

I was working for a rival PC mag at the time (even though we all knew PC Zone was the best by a mile), and that whole Cruelty Zoo farrago was amazing, a perfect storm of Zone going "fuck it, we'll encourage Charlie to take things to the limit" and hysterical "think of the children!" over-reaction from Smiths when someone complained.

6. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^^Yeah it was amazing at the time to see so much made of a small black and white cartoon near the back of the magazine.........I still have that copy.

7. Chimpy Chompy

Chimpy Chompy Commander Red Shirt

I vaguely recall - didn't that get into a mess over having to remove Tomb Raider references? So instead of satire on a game where you shoot up animals, it just looked like the theme was random cruelty for lulz.

Anyway I was a huge Zone fan back in the mid-late 90s. It doesn't seem to have anywhere near as much character nowadays.

8. payndz201

It hasn't been the same since Steve Hill left. (Though admittedly, I'm saying that because I know him.)

9. Bob The Skutter

So, the day is finally here. Gameswipe is on tonight. I'm hoping they continue on with it, I think it'd be great to have a regular gaming show aimed at adults.

10. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

Did anyone here see him on would i lie to you last night?:lol:
    He lied to a girlfriend for 6 years about being deaf in one ear after he was caught out not listing to what she was saying:eek:

11. Bob The Skutter

I'm sure he said that in his column too. :lol:

12. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed it was hoping to a reference about Knightmare when he shown that broadsword tv show using CGI. BBC give me more now :devil:

13. Bob The Skutter

It was great, but now the bbc need to commission a series where it can be more about the gaming fans less about introducing games to people.

14. payndz201

I can guarantee that if Gameswipe because a series and was just Charlie reviewing games in his own style, somebody would immediately start bleating about it being "a ripoff of Zero Punctuation". :D

I enjoyed the show, though since I used to work in the games industry (and am a Charlie Brooker fan) that doubtless predisposed me to it. Great nostalgia, though. God, Micro Live - I once phoned in to that. And Dave 'the Games Animal' Perry used to work at the same company as me.

15. Bob The Skutter

^ According to Charlie on his twitter feed it way outperformed both News and Screen wipe.

16. Serial thread killer

Thats not bad for that channel at that time.
    Did the BBC run any ads for it on the other 3 channels?
    Wish they would move him to BBC 2.

17. Bob The Skutter

I don't recall seeing any ads at all for it at all.
    I think Screenwipe has been repeated on BBC Two, I don't know how it did though.

18. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't actually be surprised to see Brooker get a show on BBC1 or BBC2. His profile has definitely been raised somewhat on the terrestrial channels recently, what with his own You Have Been Watching on C4, and his appearances on 8 Out Of 10 Cats and Would I Lie To You? recently. He's definitely becoming more of a household name than he was a year or two ago.

19. Bob The Skutter

I would be surprised to see him get a show on One, Two not so much.

20. Serial thread killer

I can't see him on BBC 1 either but i would be surprise if he did not end up on BBC 2 its where all the cool people hang out:cool: