Game of Thrones 4.6 - "The Laws of Gods and Men" - Rate and discuss

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, May 11, 2014.

?

Grading

1. Excellent

58.3%
  2. Above average

33.3%
  3. Average

8.3%
  4. Below average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Game of Thrones 4.6 - "The Laws of Gods and Men" - Rate and discus

No excuse whatsoever for what she did to him. Absolute bitch.

2. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Real life example being Queen Elizabeth from the House of Windsor. She would have never even considered changing her last name to what ever Phillips' is.

3. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Sadly, Stannis is still criminally underused...

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I also learned how the British pronounce "dynasty", which is actually probably more sensible but caught me off-guard.

5. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

I don't think it's about who can fight well at this point. It's about forcing Tywin's hand and political manipulation.

6. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

I couldn't decide if Shae was being manipulated into saying those things at the trial or if she was really, really pissed about the way things ended between her and Tyrion.

In any event, what a fantastic performance by Dinklage.

Varys continues to arguably be the most interesting person on the show. Love that little eunuch.

7. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

After a couple of 'above averages' in a row, I was pleased to rate this one as excellent. The trial and Dinklage were obviously the high points but I love the Viper's contribution. Stannis and Davos work well together and while I prefer Mark Gatiss as a writer than as an actor, I didn't find him too distracting as the banker.

The weak point for me was the attempted rescue of Theon, though it did provide some strong action and Alfie Allen is superb as poor traumatised Reek. But while I don't expect them to use the sort of CGI that was used to shrink Chris Evans in Captain America, does anyone else think he looks a bit too buff and muscular? After all, Theon has been starved and deprived of water and left in the kennels with the dogs. Shouldn't he be scrawnier? Nor sure I entirely followed the logic of letting Ramsay open the kennels and seeing the Ironborn flee, even if they were disgusted with Theon's apparent cravenness.

8. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Yara is the only one I enjoy in the Dreadfort story line. She's pretty bad ass. I'm also liking Davos more and more. I want to root for him but everyone I root for dies (except Tyrion but that was while he was the Hand and now he's not in the best of shape). I was speechless on Shae's actions. I can't believe she kicked Tyrion right in his hearticles.

9. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

I think Jamie will be picked, but no way can he fight with one hand. My theory is that Viper steps up to fill the role and we have the Viper-Mountain death match.

10. selina

selina Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree. Tyrion wanted his brother as his champion before. It is likely that he chooses him again. Furthermore, Tyrion spoke of justice. Maybe I'm reading too much into this but if he is smart enough, Tyrion figured it out that Jaime made a deal with their father. Therefore, Tyrion *might* have more than one reason for picking Jaime: 1. He is probably the only person who is on Tyrion's side. 2. If Jaime gets killed their father will lose his "stallion".

However, demanding a combat was risky. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

I was disapointed by that, too. First of all, I thought Yara had more men and more boats. It seemed a bit pathetic that she went into the castle with just 5 (?) men. Secondly, after her retreat, she should have gathered her men and started a new attack. For an "ironborn" this was a veeery disappointing rescue mission.

11. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Once she saw what shape Theon was in, and realizing just how far gone he was, she realized it was pointless. In her mind, he really is dead, just like she stated on screen.

12. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Ratings were down a bit this week, to 6.4 million. The American Mother's Day holiday may have been a factor: there was a similar dip this time last year.

13. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I don't think Tyrion will risk Jaime to make his father sad, nor risk his life on a one handed swordsman who confessed to him that he's terrible with his left hand. It would be neat if he called for Prince Oberyn and Tywin calls for the Mountain. That way if the Prince wins, two justices will be served.

14. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that was part of it for me too. Also, I would have thought that a confrontation between crazy berserkers like Ironborn (and remember how she described the crew that she was bringing with her to rescue her brother) and a mad bastard like Ramsay would be unlikely to result in one side fleeing and the others remaining where they are, largely intact. I would have expected this to have been a bitter slaughter to the death in the Dreadfort. Ramsay would not want to leave the violation of his father's home unanswered and the Ironborn would want their pound of flesh for the other flayed countrymen, even if they didn't want to rescue Theon/Reek.

15. Ryan8bit

I don't think so much it's that he actually intends to risk him, but that he wants to force Tywin to end the trial. I'm not sure what having a champion win for him would actually do since his father and sister pretty much hate him, and now he's spit all over a lot of the townspeople. His life in King's Landing almost seems forfeit. He would have his life, but he would most certainly have to leave the place where he's made his life.

Also, Oberyn seems like a strange speculation. I hope that's not book spoilers masquerading as speculation.

16. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Actually, if Tyrion does choose Jaime, I could see Oberyn offer himself as the king's champion before Tywin even gets the chance to say anything. After all, that would give him not only the opportunity to kill two Lannisters at once, it would also strike at Tywin and Cersei, too.

Even better (for Oberyn), if Oberyn does win, then Tywin will almost assuredly call upon the Mountain to seek revenge for his son's death, which is what Oberyn is really after; a fight with that psychopath.

It would also guarantee that Jaime would actually have a fight on his hands, as if Tyrion did choose him, Tywin would almost definitely choose an inferior champion rather than risk losing his only viable heir. Plus Jaime has been practicing with Bronn, so he's not completely helpless, either.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  17. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

The episode after next is called ""The Mountain and the Viper".

Pretty obvious who's going to be fighting. The show has gone out of its way this season to let us know that Oberyn is really pissed at The Mountain.

18. Ryan8bit

D'oh. I didn't think the episode titles would be so spoilery. Oh well, I guess that ruins the fun of speculation.

19. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ That one leapt out at me when I read the list, becasue they haven't usually done things like that.

20. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

Well there was a brief flash of the two fighting in the trailer for this season, so we knew it was coming.