Galaxy Quest

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by tomswift2002, Jan 3, 2015.

?

How Do You Find Galaxy Quest After 16 years?

1. Awsome

67 vote(s)
    77.9%
  2. It Has Aged Well

14 vote(s)
    16.3%
  3. So-So

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. Hasn't Aged Well

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Don't even watch it

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  1. Taelon

Taelon Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I thought they changed it to "screw"?

2. Amaris

Amaris Guest

In my copy, it's "screw". I have the 2000 DVD release.

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I suspect all that would have happened in the UK if they had left that line is it would have moved from PG to 12A. After all the film "The King's Speech" uses the F word several times and eventually got a 12A rating down from it's inital 15 classifcation.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I said preadolescent, specifically in the hope of pre-empting Wesley Crusher comparisons. Everyone points that one out, but the cliche of precocious child heroes was around long before him.

I'm talking about things that GQ might've referenced, not things that referenced it. What episode, and which series, of Doctor Who are you referring to?

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I've never seen the film in its entirety, just glimpses on broadcast networks, where it seems obviously edited, so I've not been able to embrace it yet. I've looked for it at the used video store in walking distance, but haven't seen it there. Hmmm. Maybe I should order a dvd version with that Christmas gift card someone who shall go nameless sent me. ;)

Also, how can Christopher refer to UFO so many times without mentioning Lt. Gay Ellis up on Moonbase?

Hmmm, again. I should order Galaxy Quest and UFO.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  6. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

He's also got a lot of Alec Guinness in him, e.g. being a British actor with a long and distinguished career that ended up completely overshadowed in the public eye by the one (to his mind) crummy space adventure he was in. Dane's contempt for his catchphrase and for the fans seemed very "Star Wars."

7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

8. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I think you will positively love Galaxy Quest, and I highly recommend it. It's just about every science fiction cliche rolled up into a truly smart and funny film. I love all of them, but Tony Shalhoub's "Fred Kwan/Tech Sgt. Chen" is just brilliant. :lol:

9. Christopher

I thought about mentioning her, but while she was definitely there mostly as eye candy (especially in "Close Up"), she never actually did the "recite what the computer said" thing, so it didn't quite fit. Besides, she did get one episode ("Computer Affair") that gave her something more substantial to do, rather daringly (for the time) putting her in an interracial romance with a Moonbase pilot.

Also, Gwen DeMarco never wore a purple wig!

Really, all the women in UFO were pretty much there as eye candy. The pilot episode was rather mind-boggling in that regard. If you wanted to explain the concepts of male gaze and fanservice to someone, the first half of the pilot would tell them all they needed to know. They mercifully toned it down a bit after that, but it was present throughout. The show was very male-driven, with female characters tending to be in secondary roles, with Ellis and Lake coming the closest to being on a par with the male characters, but only occasionally.

What's interesting is that there's no similar gender double standard in Space: 1999 from the same producers just a few years later. It had at least one female lead from the get-go, and the uniforms were more unisex with no attempt to put the women on display as sex objects.

10. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Then there was my disappointment that on the Skydiver craft, where the men are bare-chested under their fishnet shirts, but the women wore bras under them.

11. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

I have seen it back then at the movies and we have laughed our asses off.

The evening was still young so we decided to watch another movie that was playing at the same time.. Dogma (one of the funniest movie nights i ever had! :lol::lol:)

It lampoons all of SF be it movies or TV and for some it may hit a little bit too close (the same as with Big Bang Theory who some seem to despise because it makes fun of nerds) but i love the movie to death and it has never failed to make me laugh (just remembered the scene where they leave the spacedock :guffaw::guffaw:).

This one, at least for me, has become a classic.

12. Christopher

More like bustiers, I think. But I do give the show some credit for trying to balance things out a little by offering something for female gaze. Still, fishnet shirts don't strike me as very comfortable to wear.

13. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Captain Captain

I still love this movie. It always cracks me up!

14. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

I still piss my pants laughing when Jason asks the "Termites" to help him look for his shoe, and a couple of them look up at the ceiling! So funny!!!!

15. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

The "chompers" seen is strictly more relevant to videogame cliches than movie cliches; but it's a great, compact visual shorthand for Awful Cheese, which in earlier eras took a longer time to play out. I think it was at that level that it really connected for me, even to some contemporary movies and those that came out later (Scotty in the water pipes in ST09 almost feels like it was inspired by that scene, in a way).

But yes, Galaxy Quest remains Awesome, which was my vote.

16. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Galaxy Quest is brilliant and will never get old. It isn't just a hilarious parody of TV SF, and a stinging satire of the pretentious actors who think they are better than their material, but it actually validates the message of Trek by having the pretentious actors learn the lessons they've been teaching their audience all those years. It's a triumph of idealism.

It reminds me of a couple of episodes of Lost In Space-- namely the trip through the giant robot and the one where they go down into the impossibly extensive catacombs of the Jupiter II.

17. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I don't do that. Nope. Not ever. Not me, sir. Absolutely not.

What?

18. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think a sequel is way overdue.

19. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Won't happen. Not with the same cast anyway.

Maybe a Galaxy Quest: The Next Generation could be fun, though.

20. Christopher

What surprises me is that the film's director, Dean Parisot, hasn't done more films. He's continued to work in TV since GQ, but he's only done two features since, Fun with Dick and Jane and Red 2, neither of which I had any awareness of before looking up Parisot on IMDb just now. You'd think that after GQ, he would've had a livelier feature career.