G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Aragorn, Aug 5, 2009.

?

Grading

1. Excellent

13.2%
  2. Above average

41.8%
  3. Average

20.9%
  4. Below average

12.1%
  5. Poor

12.1%
  1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I just want to say again:

ICE DOESN'T SINK!!!!

It's bad enough when your movie makers apparently missed every science class they ever took in grade school but also have never looked at a glass of ice water!!!

2. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    Are you referring to the ending with the base going boom? I was wondering if that was just ice or did they detonate bits of the above ground portion of the base that sunk with the ice. I think I'll look more carefully when I see it again.

3. SpeedRacer

SpeedRacer Commander Red Shirt

I thought that the movie was awesome and entertaining as all hell. Definitely one of those "please leave your brain at the door" movies.

4. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

While I agree that they should have better treatment, I would have loved them to actually acknowledge them. Kind of like X-Men.

5. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    Sure. Hopefully in the next film we get more of a line up, maybe even flashes on big screens of a roster with photos or something. :)

6. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

The reason why we didn't see Snow Job, Sub Zero, Frostbite, Iceberg, Wind Chill and the other arctic operators is simple: the group we saw are 'Alpha Team', clearly the best of the best. if you want, you can imagine Wet Suit, Torpedo, Deep Six, Shipwreck, Cutter and Wet Down are in the other SHARCs. As for Ripcord, he was there for 2 reasons, one he's a pilot-trained HALO jumper and the only pilot-trained ground-pounder the Joes have and two, he was Johnny-on-the-spot. None of the rest of Alpha Team are pilot-qualified, who knows where Ace, Slipstream, Maverick, Dogfight and the rest were? back at the Pit probably or on the Flagg, flying the Howler tilt-jets. How much time would they waste waiting for one of them to arrive?

7. Thespeckledkiwi

Ummm, couldn't they have sent one to Washington while Ripcord took care of the one in Moscow? I mean seriously. Time does not make any sense in this movie.

But some recognition to other team mates. I mean only 4 on the team and one of them is Breaker?

8. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

9. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

True that. You can tell Sommers is a huge Star Wars nut judging by The Darth Maulesque fights and the dog fight at the end.

10. Thespeckledkiwi

11. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

12. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

13. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The weekend actuals for the box office are out -- G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra made a little less than estimated at $54,713,046, but that's still pretty impressive, especially for an August release (in fact, it's the fourth-largest opening weekend gross of all time for an August movie).

In the foreign markets, it made $43,035,972, for a worldwide total of $97,749,018. Again, quite solid, but it was fairly front-loaded, so I'll be curious to see what kind of legs this film will have at the box office.

14. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

15. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

16. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I guess nobody told Irwin Allen that when he made Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea. :techman:

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Irwin Allen was obviously wrong too. Ice is less dense than water. It doesn't sink, it's a scientific fact. (Unless we're talking about ice made from "heavy water" in which case I beleive it would sink.)

18. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I saw it today.

It was rubbish. But generally well-made rubbish. The cinematic equivalent of a bowl of Doritos.

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

How come in the middle of the movie they only give the super duper accelerator suits to the only two people on their team who don't know how to use them and no-one else? And why don't they wear the suits any other time?

20. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is it officially nit picking time now;)? Okay, how come Duke was a Major when he got engaged but then a Captain?