Fringe: "The Same Old Story" 9/16 - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Aragorn, Sep 16, 2008.

?

Grading

1. Excellent

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. Above average

15 vote(s)
    28.8%
  3. Average

29 vote(s)
    55.8%
  4. Below average

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  5. Poor

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

[spoiler="The Same Old Story]Olivia, along with Peter and Walter Bishop, investigates the strange death of a woman who had an even stranger child. The woman was pregnant for only hours, yet the baby she birthed was fully developed - and also aged eighty years in the span of a few minutes. Olivia asks Nina Sharp of Massive Dynamic for help.[/spoiler]

2. Aragorn

So how many people here stopped watching after the pilot? And is Fringe really a good one-two combo with House?

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I meant to watch the pilot, but it didn't grab Temis, and I've got nine seasons of the X-Files on DVD. I don't know what category that puts me in, but there it is. I do wonder if the show will improve from what I've heard, though.

4. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Oh right tonight after HOUSE

the beginning was very x files all we need to see is the baby with huge black eyes and two slits for a nose.

5. timmay2411

timmay2411 Captain Captain

Man that was so X-Files.

YES!

6. Samurai8472

I bet there was 4,815,162,342 pebbles on that hospital ramp on the ground, and there is a Jack working at that hospital

Broyles working with that Massive corporation woman hmm.

7. timmay2411

Darin Morgan is a producer!

Hopefully he will write too.

8. timmay2411

So how much time has passed b/t this ep and the pilot?

Was there a timestamp in the beginning?

9. timmay2411

Couldnt tell what that last shot was...

Guess I'm the only one watching...

10. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought it was good. It takes me a while to get into the scientific stuff but once again it's the interaction between the characters that is the most interesting.

11. Samurai8472

i think it was clones or John Scott

12. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

I also didn't quite see what that last shot was either.

I give this episode an average. The story was interesting and the characters were good, but nothing really great about it.

13. Starfleet Engineer

Starfleet Engineer Vice Admiral Admiral

This was much better than the first episode. I'll definitely be watching the next one. Dr. Bishop is gonna have to get better at the attempts at humor, though. He did improve some in the last third of the ep. I also like the interweaving of the FBI woman's backstory and more of Dr. Bishop's backstory. It seems like it may be similar to Heroes in that, initially, we don't know that anyone has a connection to this big backstory and, one by one, we find out everyone is somehow connected to the experiments he did for the Defense Department. That's just a guess.

My other guess is that the last shot was Dr. Bishop's son, Dr. Bishop's partner's son that died in this ep, and maybe John Scott.

I gave it "Above Average."

14. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mediocre last week, mediocre this week. I'm bailing on it.

Boy was all that "reintroduction" dialogue at the beginning of the episode clunky and awkward as hell, made moreso by the fact that I didn't get around to watching the pilot until this afternoon. :lol:

15. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

Average I guess.

Not doing much for me.

16. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess I'm the lone Excellent voter.
    I thought this weeks was much better than last.
    I'm in for the long haul.

17. Aragorn

Row row row your boat? Holy crap! They're setting up the appearance of... William Shatner! As Kirk! Kirk is trapped in the past and no one believes he's from the future so they locked him up in the loony bin!

And they're also setting up for a John Doggett supersoldier crossover!

18. Top41

Top41 Vice Admiral Moderator

I'm enjoying it! I found this episode sufficiently creepy and intriguing, and the characters are growing on me. Maybe it helps that I wasn't a huge X-Files fan; I watched enough of the show to know there are plenty of similarities, but that doesn't prevent me from enjoying Fringe. That being said, the central idea did remind me a bit of Leonard Betts (I think that was the dude who needed cancer to survive), but I still found the episode gripping.

19. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Eh, I'm just not feeling it. The teasers have certainly been cool so far, but after that I start to lose interest with every passing minute. lol

And is it just me, or does most of this magical scifi technology they're using seem to belong more to an episode of TNG or VOY than a show set in the present day?? I'm having a really hard time suspending my disbelief for some of the ridiculous stuff they're doing.

Yeah X-Files had a lot of weird shit going on too, but it all seemed to belong to some other, supernatural realm where different rules apply and you don't ask too many questions. The writers were also careful to keep everything fairly mysterious and unexplained.

The biggest problem I see here is they're taking out that supernatural element, and trying to make it all "science-based".

20. Aragorn

With the way they've set up "the pattern," I think the pattern might lose itself if there's 22 completely unrelated but somehow related events a year. And if that much crap is going on, someone is bound to notice and our main characters would not be able to simply do something else for an episode.

Sort of like on X-Files, how one minute they're dealing with a vast alien conspiracy with shadow government agents trying to kill them, and the next minute they're investigating a bump in the dark on the other side of the country.