Fringe 5x10 - "Anomaly XB-6783" (Discussion, Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Procutus, Dec 20, 2012.

?

Grade 'Anomaly XB-6783'

1. Excellent - Fringe at its best

13 vote(s)
    59.1%
  2. Very Good

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  3. Good

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. Average

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. Bad

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  6. Really Bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Horrible Beyond Words

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Violet.Phoenix

Violet.Phoenix Commander Red Shirt

What a fantastic episode, I loved it.

Nina's sacrifice was tragic and heartbreaking to watch, but at the same time it is clear why she chose the course of action that she did. I applaud her character for the strength that she exhibited there and throughout the series.

The Science Team's reaction was also heartbreaking, Walter's definitely being the most grief-stricken (where's that Emmy...) and Olivia's following from the close relationship that she shared with Nina.

I absolutely loved Nina's speech to Windmark, about time somebody put that jerk in his place. The comparison of Observers to lizards was really well thought-out and made a great addition to the episode.

I also really enjoyed the plot with the Observer child, and the scene where he cries for Nina after making an empathic connection with her was really powerful.

The ending has given us some answers as well as raised some more questions. We know now who Donald is, but I feel like there is much more to that flashback sequence than what Walter said, and judging by the promo for 5x11, there are some interesting twists ahead.

Excellent stuff, and if this is how the last few episodes are going to play out, I can't wait for the rest!

2. TimmyWl

TimmyWl Commodore Commodore

It was a real shock at the end. I liked how the camera focused on the reaction to Peter as Walter slipped away. Then there was the focus on the reflection on the floor. I can't say anything else about the reaction by Peter/Olivia/Walter - it's just that it was astounding beyond measure. It is a real pity that the show is ending.

Now the whole rewinding of time seemed a bit obvious.

3. Aeon

Aeon Commander Red Shirt

Lurking mode OFF!

So am I mistaken if I say that Nina and Walter got their original memories back from the original timeline when Michael did his magic touch?

4. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

The effect of Nina's noble sacrifice was blunted by my stupid, practical brain, which immediately thought "How did she not blow that horrible wig off?" :vulcan:

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

You throw enough stuff at the wall and something will stick. ;)

6. Ultramann

Ultramann Lieutenant Red Shirt

Glad and not glad to see I was right about the restting of time, hopefully it will be done in a proper series ending manner.

7. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I definitely got that impression. I got a strong Lost "The End" vibe from Walt's experience.

8. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Great speech and courageous decision by Nina. Windmark's change of expression was truly something to behold.

The Trekian 'what it means to be human' vibe continues as well in what may be the best half-season of the series.

Gonna be a long 3 weeks.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, great episode, although I am sad to Nina go, I really like her. I did not expect Donald to be September. I wonder if this means he can't be the kid too? My rating: Excellent.

10. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

These last two seasons of Fringe have been just great. I'v loved just about every episode this season.

We found out that Donald is September, but I don't think anything was said in the episode about who the kid actually is and why he is so important. So I think he could still turn out to be September in an earlier time -- and then again, maybe not.

Looking forward to the next 3 -- not looking forward to the end of this great series.

11. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Excellent episode, probably my favourite of the season so far. Love when Olivia shows her maternal instincts with various kids throughout the series, in this case with Michael; I also liked that moment when she saw the poster of Etta. This episode often felt like classic Fringe too, which added a few points in its favour. I also thought the score throughout the episode was noticeably superb.

Finally, I wonder if it's a coincidence that the Observer kid is named Michael, the same as the actor who plays September. Hmm...

12. NCC1701MF

NCC1701MF Captain Captain

Wasn't August an anomaly? He fell in love and if I remember he cried.

13. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

That episode is on right now. The other Observers say August created an anomaly by preventing the girl from making her flight. The hit man the observers use is named... Donald.