News FOX selling out to Disney?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Nov 6, 2017.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Its being dealt with on a case by case basis, as well as the fact that they are looking at theaters who run films in their first run, and that Disney doesn't want to also run older showings too.

It's still odd, but not nearly as simply as it sounds at first blush.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

It makes sense from a branding perspective since Fox News and Fox Sports are still a thing.

Gepard, Greg Cox and Turtletrekker like this.
  5. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

20th Century Studios? Sounds pretty generic.

Kor

suarezguy likes this.
  6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Ironically, the studio was originally called Twentieth Century Pictures up until its merger with Fox Film in 1935, at which point it became the 20th Century-Fox Film Corporation. (It didn't drop the hyphen until Rupert Murdoch acquired it in 1981.) Now another merger has restored it to (nearly) its original name.

7. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The name changes work for me.

8. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm surprised they didn't go back to the original name, I think Pictures sounds better than Studios.

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

20th Century Mouse

Anwar and The Nth Doctor like this.
  10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I don't know. "20th Century Studios" is so twentieth-century . . . . :)

11. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Surprised they didn't go with "21st Century Studios" given the situation and timeframe of the acquisition.

Greg Cox likes this.
  12. Christopher

The larger corporation has been called 21st Century Fox for some time, but the film studio kept its classic name because it's a recognized brand.

13. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

From 34:40 on they discuss the "rebranding", and Dan Murrell gives a very interesting and educating history lesson on the man behind the Fox name. An important aspect of this whole situation, I feel.

14. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I get the reasoning since no sane person would want to be associated with Fox News. It’s just sad.

Teelie likes this.
  15. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I saw how one analyst gave that very reason, Murdoch is pretty toxic at this point.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't really see where it's sad. Disney isn't going to want another company's name on something they own now.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  17. Christopher

Marvel still has its name. So do Pixar and Lucasfilm. Part of the reason Disney acquires all these companies is to diversify, to attract a wider audience by acquiring things that already have their own distinct audiences and take advantage of their existing name recognition.

Indeed, sometimes they've found the Disney name to be an impediment and tried to downplay it. Decades ago they tried to diversify into more adult-skewing, PG movies like The Black Hole, TRON, Something Wicked This Way Comes, etc., but audiences were confused by the Disney name on films that weren't kid-friendly, so Disney created the Touchstone Pictures imprint to release those films under so they wouldn't be saddled with the "kids' movie" stigma.

Anyway, they're still keeping 2/3 of the 20th Century Fox name on 20th Century Studios, and keeping the Searchlight imprint around, just not as Fox Searchlight. They aren't calling them 20th Century Disney or Disney Searchlight. They're letting them continue to exist as separate brands, even without the Fox part.

Teelie likes this.
  18. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Bob Iger shifts his CEO role to a different division. He's going to direct the company's creative content.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/25/disney-names-bob-chapek-next-ceo.html

He's still the chairman of the company and thus the head of the board, meaning the new CEO will still answer to him. Still, this traditionally means the new CEO will be more hands-on and Iger will be more hands-off.

19. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought the choice of headlines for these articles were odd. "Bob Iger to step down as Disney CEO, effective immediately" clearly implies a sudden scandal and being forced out. That couldn't be further from the truth in this case. Clearly they were going for clickbait while being technically truthful.

20. Christopher

Yeah, the G rating used to be pretty much like what PG is now used to mean (give or take the odd cuss word), and the PG rating was like the modern PG-13 (but permitting more nudity, oddly). Over the decades, so many filmmakers added stray expletives to turn G-rated films into PG that it ended up shifting the meaning of "PG" more and more into G territory, which required introducing PG-13 to clarify things, and that pretty much took the place of PG -- and also stretched a lot of the way into R territory because of filmmakers doing small cuts to get PG-13 ratings for what would otherwise be R. People have gamed the system so much to get the "desired" rating that the ratings are no longer very informative, especially when trying to assess an older movie.