News FOX selling out to Disney?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Nov 6, 2017.

1. SolarisOne

SolarisOne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:adore:

Awesome Possum and Turtletrekker like this.
  2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Finest princess in the 'Verse!

I can't agree enough on this point. I still have high hopes for Dark Phoenix but between the sour taste left behind by Apocalypse and the bizarre need to decade jump each film has lowered my expectations considerably.

While I have no personal investment with those characters or the film in general (beyond a few cast members), I was intrigued by the creative notions the film seemed to be going with so I'll be disappointed for its sake if it doesn't get a theatrical release.

Awesome Possum likes this.
  3. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I wonder how much of the stock I bought went up...

4. Teelie

Teelie Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not a big fan of Disney owning so much of the pop culture and studios but it's done now and nothing is going to change that for the near future. Also not a fan of yet another streaming service that is going to further split the content into another corner of the internet.

I can deal with it though. The upside is how much of the Marvel property is now back under Marvel's control. So long as Disney doesn't alter the franchises at Fox too much I won't complain.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Are you sure? I think Warner Bros./DC gained ownership of that, given that they've been able to do comics and animated movies based on it in recent years.

Besides, my understanding is that the deal calls for splitting apart Fox's movie properties to be owned by Disney and its TV properties to be sold off to someone else. Is that just the current TV networks, as opposed to older TV shows?

Similar question. I don't think Fox owns these. The Lost in Space feature film was from New Line (a division of Warner Bros.) and the current Neflix series is from Legendary.

6. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I mean, except for the fact that Logan kind of completely ignores that DOFP exists.

7. Teelie

No, only the news aspect of Fox is being spun off. All the TV properties are theirs. Maybe the sports aspect too because Disney owns ESPN and a slew of other sports networks. Not too sure on that. I don't watch sports and never paid attention to what was going to happen to that.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, they're spinning off a lot of their TV assets. According to Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acquisition_of_21st_Century_Fox_by_Disney
    So I guess that does mean Disney gets the shows produced by Fox's TV studio, just not the networks. Still, I wonder about the ownership of properties like Batman '66 and Lost in Space.

9. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh boy... this statement can easily trigger a certain poster...

10. Teelie

That is what I meant. Disney is taking all the Fox property in television and movies excepting the news and the sports. Plus a few international properties.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sorry, that was supposed to be a joke. I forgot to put a :p, which is usually my way of indicating I'm joking.
    In case anyone was wondering, Disney does own The Simpsons now. There was a bit of confusion, because was talking about keeping The Simpsons, but it turns out that it will just continue to air on the Fox Network, while Disney actually owns it.
    The linked article also features a picture of a new banner that has popped up on one of Disney's corporate sites, which shows a bunch of characters and people from stuff Disney owns, including Rey, the main characters from The Shape of Water, Woody from Toy Story, Bart Simpson, Captain Marvel, Deadpool, and a bunch of other stuff.

12. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I imagine that Deadpool is going to be the only current property to survive the buyout without change based on Iger saying they keep his movies rated R. Plus Ryan Reynolds doesn’t seem worried at all. I’d be curious if he had already had some discussions with Disney and Marvel.

13. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

That makes sense considering how popular the films are and how it's easy not to worry about continuity consider the very nature of Deadpool.

Random_Spock and Awesome Possum like this.
  14. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

This commercial came out after the merger.

15. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

No Dark Angel?

Turtletrekker and OCD Geek like this.
  16. OCD Geek

OCD Geek Captain Captain

My brain's still trying to process the fact that the Murdoch-owned FOX network will now be airing the Disney-owned Fox shows. That's even more surreal to me than Ripley and Buffy being Disney Princesses.

17. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

They showed Walter Bishop from Fringe. That was lovely, I still miss him.

OCD Geek likes this.
  18. OCD Geek

OCD Geek Captain Captain

Murdoch is only keeping the FOX broadcast network, along with Fox News and Fox Sports. Murdoch originally wanted to get completely out of the film and scripted TV business and focus 100% on news and sports, but it looks like somewhere during the deal-making process he gave up on his "the FOX broadcast network will only air local and national news and sports now" thing. Someone probably made him realize that Disney was primarily buying him out for his moneymaking IPs (and complete creative control of Hulu) and that Disney's own networks didn't have room for their shows and FOX's shows.

Disney does own FX and The National Geographic Channel now. Disney now also owns 20th Century Fox Studios, 20th Century Fox Animation, Fox Searchlight, Blue Sky Studios, 20th Century Fox Television, 20th Television, Fox Television Animation, Fox 21 Television Studios, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment and Fox Music.

Looking more into the Batman '66 thing, it looks like you were mostly right. Apparently that's one of those shows that, thanks to various corporate shenanigans over the years, is owned by several different companies. 20th Century Fox Television did license it to Warner Bros. for the recent complete series set, but they reportedly had to get the approval of both William Dozier's Greenway Productions and ABC as well. I have no idea who owns Irwin Allen's productions, although 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment did handle the DVD releases.

That too.

19. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really,really want to see "Office Space:Borat." What crazy things will Borat do when faced with TPS reports.

Jason

Set Harth, Anwar and OCD Geek like this.
  20. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's one of the most inspiring, signs of the end times I have seen, yet. Sure it's going be yet another monopoly that screws us over in the end but the add does feel very happy and upbeat.

Jason