Foreign numbers VERY Dissapointing.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Blue_Trek, Jul 14, 2009.

1. kNkg

kNkg Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You need to check your numbers.

KK

2. Falcor5

Falcor5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow did Generations really do that good overseas? I did not remember that.

3. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

Nobody could call me a naysayer (I've seen the movie 20 times); but I want foreign box office numbers to improve -- and I want them to improve a lot. I want the whole world to love Star Trek.

4. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm no box office enthusiast but what ?

Boxofficemojo gives the foreign take for Generations as $42,400,000 (around 60 mil adjusted I think)
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=startrek7.htm

How is that worse than the $125,580,479 Star Trek has made so far ? :confused:

5. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The answer is simple: very poor promotion and advertising. Many people I know weren't even aware Star Trek was in theatres before I told them, or even that there was a new ST movie, even those who are old Trek fans. The only people who knew it were those who are regularly following what's new in Trek world and were waiting for the movie to come out, or those who generally follow all the new movies.

6. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

I'll admit that there wasn't much in the way of advertising of the new film over here in London, UK besides the posters a few weeks before it was coming out, and trailers in a few films in a few months before hand (saw the final trailer before Watchmen if that helps date it at all).

I don't however see where this idea that Star Trek is 'too American' though, it's never occured to me :confused:

7. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

It isn't. That's just an idea that people have picked up on to explain the large difference between American box office and International, and now they've got that idea they won't let go of it. Despite all arguments to the contrary.

It's like the whole "Enterprise bridge looks like an Apple store" complaint.

8. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek is one of the least "typically American" films around, but studio execs, movie distributors and publicity people have no clue what could or could not be profitable in a certain market. For the most part, they seem to selling the same films and using the same publicity for every market. For instance, here in Serbia or more specifically Belgrade, Guy Richie's films have always been very popular, but his latest film wasn't even bought for cinema distribution. OTOH, they keep trying to sell big budget comedies or sport dramas about baseball and such. :confused: How lazy do you have to be? Do they really think anyone here understands baseball or cares about it?

9. Blue_Trek

Blue_Trek Captain Captain

But I am not a naysayer, I was so excited about this movie, that I signed up here just before it was released, and I loved the movie it was great, recommended it to everybody I know, friends and co-workers. I have also been posting here because this movie has rekindled my fandom for Star Trek, that had really dwindled because of a lack of new material.

As other posters have mentioned, I spent some time analyzing the international take of movies over at boxofficemojo and came to the logical conclusion that in 2009 when compared to other movies, even other Paramount movies, the foreign take although it did exceed expectation for the foreign market, is still a disappointment to me personally.

That is my opinion based on the numbers.

That does not in anyway take away from this movie's overall success, which is still excellent.

My hope for XII is that Paramount realizes the domestic market for a well rated Trek film is good for 250-300 million, but the foreign market needs some work to get the numbers up to where they are a closer split with the domestic.

Get more theaters booked, get it into more languages, advertise more, and do focus advertising that specifically targets what different cultures like in films. Make different trailers for different markets. I am sure we won't mind more trailers even if they aren't in English or have sub-titles.

In retrospect the foreign numbers are disappointing because more could have been done to prop them up. That's really the point of this thread, it was an opportunity lost, and that is always disappointing.

It is not a poor reflection on the film itself.

10. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Exactly! Fingers crossed for XII - world domination is ours :)

11. Blue_Trek

Blue_Trek Captain Captain

^^^
    My hope for XII if it's at least as good as XI or even better, would be

300 million Domestic
    250 million Foreign

550 Million

And this would guarantee us another movie too, - XIII

12. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

It did well in the UK for something that wasn't promoted to hard, but it was still promoted quite a bit.

13. Similitude

Similitude Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Generations did 40 Mil, far from 120 mil. Even adjusted its still under 100.

14. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

You may find it dissapointing but compared to other ST films in the franchises and a lot of general movies released throughout a calender year the movie did well. Paramount was hoping to break $100 million and it did it stands at over $125 and will probably settle between 126-127.

I would think Paramount would prefer to make more domestic gross anyway cause I would assume they make more $$$ from a domestic ticket than an oversea's one. Also foregin markets tend to look for big name actors and this movie had none really but it did well in English speaking pats of the wordl such as the UK/Ireland and down nder in Aussie land;)

only trek fans cold complain about $125 oversea's and over $377 worldwide.

Most likely Paramount will set soft targets of $275 domestic and $150 oversea's for the sequel.

15. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, had you just taken all of your friends to the previous Trek movies...

16. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

Jeez, TOS is only 40 years old. I don't think a lot of the early fans have passed away.

17. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

I have.

:angel:

18. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

ZombieChrisisall ??

:p

19. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

$120 million was the total worldwide number for Generations, it includes the domestic results. Internationally it made around $44 million.

20. AntonyF

AntonyF Official Tahmoh Taster Rear Admiral

I stand corrected. :) Thanks.

But I still stand by box office analysis <> bashing.