First Impressions

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Damian, Dec 30, 2020.

1. nic3636

nic3636 Commander Red Shirt

Yeah but we don't know really know the state of the Romulans in Picard. We know they can assemble a force of 200 ships but that's not a large number by fleet standards. It could have been their entire fleet (by contrast Starfleet likely has tens of thousands of ships) meaning they may not be a significant threat.

2. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Rear Admiral Premium Member

wolf 359 was 40 ships

3. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

So just finished the series and on the whole it's good.

I can't help but think though that a TV movie or miniseries set around the Mars incident released before hand would've been a boost for the show, adding context to what's been going on since Nemesis and hinting at what is going on behind the scenes.

One thing that does have me scratching my head is where the Seven/Raffi thing comes from, before the final scenes they had pretty much no substantial interaction and as Picard was on the mend there was no time given to them having any sort of meaningful meeting.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  4. nic3636

true but that was more an emergency fleet they had to assemble really fast. In DS9 Starfleet is shown having many more ships. I forget exactly how many, but I think it was 10+ fleets each with several hundred ships.

5. nic3636

Though I will add that from a story telling standpoint it was odd to have the Romulan fleet so large. You could have told the same story if the fleet was 20 ships and it would have saved the VFX team a lot of time copying and pasting :)

ThreeEdgedSword likes this.
  6. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

The Seventh Fleet had 112 ships in it and the Tenth is the highest number of a fleet we've heard of so it they're all of similar scale then Starfleet has just over 1100 combat capable ships.

7. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Rear Admiral Premium Member

The Klingon fleet at the station in Way of the Warrior was well over 100 ships in the first wave of attacking Cardassia

The Federation reinforcements that turned the tide when the Klingons attacked the station were just Six starships.

Sisko's fleet to retake DS9 in Favour The Bold was about 600 - with 1254 Dominion/Cardassian ships. That was made from elements of the 2nd and 5th fleets, so by the time the dominon war was in full swing, assuming equal sized fleets, there were at least 9 Federation fleets with over 300 ships per fleet.

(Dominion fleet in the wormhole was on the order of 2,000 ships, but it's safe to assume that was a large number of gamma quadrant ships)

Fleet size changed in DS9, starships in TOS and TNG were rare things - to get just 40 near to Earth when the Borg broke through, and only having one near Earth when Nimbus three was attacked, or the Nexus hit the El-Aurians, or VGer turned up, backs that up.

Clearly there are many other ships that aren't classed as starships

By the time the dominon war came around, fleets were measured in the hundereds.

8. nic3636

I guess my only point is that given the lack of worldbuilding in the show so far, it's hard to infer the relative strength of the Romulans to the Federation from that one scene. The scene is obviously meant to show a standoff of equal forces but we don't really know how powerful each Romulan ship is nor do we know what each of those fleets represents in terms of a percentage of their total forces. The Romulan's could still be a shell of their former selves if that Romulan fleet was 90% of the total Romulan force and the Starfleet fleet was only 5% of the total Starfleet force.

9. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Annoyed by inappropriate use of the word "Need"
    The Romulans are a shell of their former selves. That push on the android planet was to be either a last stand or the annihilation of the Zhat Vash's sworn enemies. If they felt the could go toe to toe with Starfleet then they would have. Except, the Romulan Free state didn't want an enemy in the Federation so the attack would have been pointless.

10. nic3636

That was my impression as well. Also, if the android planet was near Romulan space, and Romulan space is smaller, they could have more easily marshalled their forces whereas Federation space might be really big with their forces spread thin.

11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

"Don't do streaming"?

What does that even mean?

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Probably means does not subscribe to a streaming service.

Damian likes this.