First and last names of minor characters

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Laura Cynthia Chambers, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nope, don't have the game. I found her name on Dalby's MB page. I was expanding his MA page and thus found her and her attackers (no names for them) to add to MA unnamed pages, with a note on her video game name.

2. Extrocomp

Extrocomp Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's too bad. The Starship Creator biographies have a lot of names and I think some of them still haven't been added to Memory Beta. But I can't find anyone who owns the game and is willing to install it on their computer and check the biographies for me.

I've been thinking about expanding the list to mention multiple stories for a name that appeared in multiple stories, like people were doing on page 1. It would look something like this:

Alden (Where No Man Has Gone Before)
    Daniel Alden
    * My Brother's Keeper: Constitution
    * My Brother's Keeper: Enterprise
    Lloyd Alden
    * Star Trek II Biographies
    * Captain's Peril
    * Federation: The First 150 Years
    * The Autobiography Of James T. Kirk
    Phil Alden
    * A Less Perfect Union
    Richard Alden
    * Who's Who In Star Trek #2
    http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/File:Alden.jpg

Do you think it looks okay or is it too cluttered? Is this additional info worth including?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  3. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd say the additional info is worth the loss of the simplistic look.

I had the Starship Creator game as a kid if I'm remembering right, but it must have been lost in my parents house like all my other old computer games.

4. Laura Cynthia Chambers

I would add, though, if the books are part of a series, you could list the series and then the individual titles in brackets. What I mean is:

Daniel Alden
    * "My Brother's Keeper" trilogy (Constitution and Enterprise)

5. Extrocomp

While I was researching names to add to the list, I noticed that there are lots of mistakes on StarTrek.com. Many names are misspelled, many characters are missing pictures and many characters show the wrong picture. They even gave a male character the first name Lisa. I've tried using StarTrek.com's Submit a Question page to inform someone about these mistakes but I never got any replies.

Does anyone know how to contact the StarTrek.com staff?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Maybe the charcter is genderfluid?

T'Ressa Dax, Jinn and Idran like this.
  7. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or maybe CBS really doesn't put as much effort into startrek.com as they should.

Idran likes this.
  8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dayton has a semi-regular feature on StarTrek.com, so he might be able to say something to someone.

9. Extrocomp

I've been wondering about how much it bothers people to see the same character given different names in different stories. When one of the names is a canon name and the other is a non-canon name (e.g. Dimitri Valtane and Masoud Valtane) it doesn't bother me because I accept the canon name as the character's name in the main Star Trek universe and the non-canon name as existing in an alternate universe.

But it bothers me a lot when all of the names are non-canon because I don't know which name to accept as the main universe name. For example, if I'm watching Kirk fighting the Gorn captain in Arena, am I watching Kirk fighting Rheuzz'r or is it S'alath or one of the other two?

Does anyone else have this problem? How do you deal with it?

10. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

It doesn't bother me at all; you don't even need alternate universes or anything to cover it. I mean, these stories are never going to be entirely consistent with one another, and if you let that bug you too much, you end up just about needing to put literally every book in its own alternate universe from every other. Even some episodes, honestly, given the internal inconsistencies in the on-screen stuff.

If it's something as minor as a proper noun like that, I just paper it over, and say "this story said X, but let's say the story said Y instead". We're readers, we get to choose how we take in a creative work. It's your choice, not the creator's; engaging with media isn't a creator forcing a set of events on you, it's a dialogue.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just imagine every book or episode takes place between shots of Annorax's temporal weapon, or between Temporal Cold War meddling and everything's good.

Idran and Jinn like this.
  12. Christopher

Yes, exactly. These are stories. We only imagine they happen. The words on the page inspire us to create a version of the story's events in our heads. And that means we can choose how we interpret those words, and we can edit them if we see the need.

Different stories from different creators are bound to have some differences of interpretation or knowledge, resulting in inconsistencies. The conceit that the installments of an ongoing series actually fit together always requires some finessing and glossing over of minor inconsistencies. If we can gloss over the fact that Worf's entire forehead design changes between "The Neutral Zone" and "The Child," or that Tora Ziyal is played by three or four different actresses, or that the TOS Enterprise sometimes randomly changes from the series-era ship to the pilot-era ship depending on stock-footage use, or any of a few hundred other inconsistencies, then we don't need to generate entire alternate universes just because two writers didn't compare notes on some minor character's first name.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  13. Extrocomp

Even in canon, some characters have several different names. Connors became Leslie. Brent became Vinci. Galloway became Johnson. Grimes became Fitzpatrick and then became Doug Bronowski. Memory Alpha considers all of them to be separate characters, but in most episodes their names are not mentioned so it's impossible to say whether any given episode shows one or the other.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  14. Christopher

Well, we can be sure in Galloway's case, because he died in "The Omega Glory." That's why David L. Ross's character name in "Day of the Dove" was changed to Johnson -- because someone remembered that Galloway was dead and fortunately fixed the script error before filming. (He's credited as Galloway in "Turnabout Intruder" but never named in dialogue, so I assume he's Johnson there.)

As for the others, I take those more as examples of the same actor playing different bit characters. Fans today like to pretend they're the same character, but that probably wasn't the intent for extras like Frank da Vinci or Bill Blackburn; they were just members of the repertory company who took on whatever role was needed. After all, nobody expected that people would be rewatching these episodes decades later and tracking the faces of bit players.

15. Laura Cynthia Chambers

It's nice to be able to use the same name if you want to, though. You don't have to, but you can. That's what the list gives you the ability to do; choose, without having to chase down each name yourself. Plus it also lets people see what names have been assigned to who just for interest's sake. Kind of like seeing all the different words people have for the same thing in other languages.

16. Extrocomp

Just letting everyone know that all four lists have received a major update that includes lots of new names from scripts, novels and comics. The character list and ship list have been reformatted based on the example I gave above, while the species list and planet list are still in the old format.

17. Ensign_Rowan_McGrath

Ensign_Rowan_McGrath Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This might be considered fandom but...

I'm attached to Tracee Lee Cocco's fan page on Facebook and have once every so often referred to her character, Ensign/Lieutenant J.G. Jae, as Rebecca Jae. She (I think) even thanked me for the first name. My justification was that Rebecca suited her as a first name.

18. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  19. Laura Cynthia Chambers

20. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Anybody found any more?