Fifth Season is Final Season

Back when Voyager was on, I always assumed that the ship would only reach home in the finale (assuming of course it wasn't cancelled and left hanging in the Delta Quadrant). I'd imagine I wasn't the only one. Lost in the Delta was the whole premise for the show, and whilst I do understand bringing them home part way through was considered by the producers, personally I think it would have just ruined Voyager's distinctiveness.

Back when Voyager was on, I always assumed that the ship would only reach home in the finale (assuming of course it wasn't cancelled and left hanging in the Delta Quadrant). I'd imagine I wasn't the only one. Lost in the Delta was the whole premise for the show, and whilst I do understand bringing them home part way through was considered by the producers, personally I think it would have just ruined Voyager's distinctiveness.
Right, I always considered getting to Earth/Fedspace was the endgame, no pun intended.

One of the frustrations expressed about Endgame back when it aired is that the final scene is them reaching Earth orbit, with no explanation as to what happens to the characters now they are home. One of the common retorts to that over the years is that properly addressing what happens to everyone could likely take up another whole episode at least, which is where the "maybe they should have gotten home earlier in the season" argument comes from.

One of the frustrations expressed about Endgame back when it aired is that the final scene is them reaching Earth orbit, with no explanation as to what happens to the characters now they are home. One of the common retorts to that over the years is that properly addressing what happens to everyone could likely take up another whole episode at least, which is where the "maybe they should have gotten home earlier in the season" argument comes from.
I guess you could have had the 2-part finale be them getting home in Part 1 and then the aftermath in Part 2, but let's be honest. Character arks were never really a thing on Voyager. You would have had the characters act the same way on Earth as they did in the Delta Quadrant. So would it have been worth it? Probably not.

The post-Season 7 novels covering their return weren't terrible.

I've read some of them and somewhat enjoyed them, though they did fall into the trap of a lot of post series novels of introducing a lot of new characters at the expense of developing some of the existing familiar crew.

Agreed - VOY's finale lacked an adequate coda, something that was pretty much expected after TNG's & DS9's respective finales. It was probably most important to have for this particular series, considering how far away they've been and how long it took for them to get home.

Agreed as well, but unfortunately that ship sailed a long time ago. The closest we’ll ever get to that is Prodigy (which, as it stands, isn’t too bad as far as a VOY continuation goes.)

I guess you could have had the 2-part finale be them getting home in Part 1 and then the aftermath in Part 2, but let's be honest. Character arks were never really a thing on Voyager. You would have had the characters act the same way on Earth as they did in the Delta Quadrant. So would it have been worth it? Probably not.
Even a 2-parter with the last 20 minutes of the second episode being the epilogue would have been decent.

Picard S3E10 did a good job with this concept, Discovery S5E10 had those scenes blatantly tacked on, but it was OK.

Even a 2-parter with the last 20 minutes of the second episode being the epilogue would have been decent.

Picard S3E10 did a good job with this concept, Discovery S5E10 had those scenes blatantly tacked on, but it was OK.
Perhaps, the TNG and DS9 finales did have some of that. I guess Voyager could have worked in a few minutes for a coda.

I think that's why they included a time-travel story, so you could get something of a "how they adjusted to life back home" without ever having to do so in a substantive way. Much like Voyager as a series having a far from home story but only sort of committing to the storytelling opportunity.

I think that's why they included a time-travel story, so you could get something of a "how they adjusted to life back home" without ever having to do so in a substantive way. Much like Voyager as a series having a far from home story but only sort of committing to the storytelling opportunity.
That‘s a good point. I always thought it was an odd choice to show the crew looking pretty well off, which made Old Janeway look reckless in her attempt to alter it by bringing them sooner, when she could have easily made it worse.

Skydance founder and CEO David Ellison is a massive Trekkie. It wouldn’t shock me if he uncancels Lower Decks.

It’s not so much whether McMahon wants to continue (because no doubt he did.) it’s whether P+ wanted to continue, which they didn’t. And I don’t think LDS was popular enough with non-Trekkie audiences for Skydance to want to continue producing it. That’s my opinion, anyway.

I'm happy with what we got, even if it comes to an end sooner than what we would have hoped. Honestly I thought Trek would be gone for another couple decades after Enterprise, and was thrilled we got movies with the JJ-Verse (which was a unique but enjoyable take). Discovery was a shock to me when it was announced and when I watched it....no it wasn't what I hoped for but it was still NEW Trek I got to watch, and it had moments I enjoyed. Picard had fewer of those moments til season 3 but still the moments were there. Lower Decks though had TONS of those moments and catapulted itself to one of my favorite Trek shows of all time. Sad to see there's only one season left but what an awesome ride!

If they can't make it work out to bring back Lower Decks with McMahan's schedule... Prodigy is right there. But in an ideal world:

full

Back