Fellas…are there "girlie" things that you like/enjoy?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Gotham Central, Feb 5, 2014.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nice av Dream! I loved Frozen :)

2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting to me that a lot of the topics discussed here aren't girlie as such but childish which is a different category. So if I met an adult who liked MLP, I wouldn't think it was feminine, I'd just think it was slightly childish - which in itself is perhaps not a bad thing.

3. Amaris

Amaris Guest

It depends. I have an MLP shirt with Pinkie Pie on it; so the shirt is pink. I have been called gay for wearing that shirt. So it just depends on who is doing the "accusing."

4. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

That is an interesting observation but not at all odd as far as sexism goes. The famous philosopher Schopenhauer once wrote a really nasty piece about women basically saying that women are like children.

Quote:

It's not surprising (if a bit sad) that some men (apparently even in this thread) share that view (subconsciously?).

5. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

It always saddens me that we've gotten this far into the 21st century and these gender stereotypes still exist. I went to the theater the other night for the short-play festival (about eight ten-minute plays) and the audience favorite was about a tearful tirade by the wife about how the football-watching husband forgot their anniversary-- only to be reminded that their anniversary was tomorrow. It was like a 50s sitcom.

Anyway, I don't think of things as guy or girly, but I've always liked things that our backward society at large does. When I was a kid, I always liked a variety of music, including the sentimental stuff that only girls were supposed to like (you were cool if you liked "Bohemian Rhapsody," but not so cool if you liked "I'm Not Lisa"). I've always preferred tea over coffee, and I've always read and written poetry. I watch movies and TV for the ideas and character interactions and become quickly bored with action scenes. Sports have never interested me. I have photography books of country scenes with barns and wildflowers and stuff. And so on. Actually, I suppose a lot of people still consider going to the theater girly.

6. JoeZhang

He was a cat lover so I can't take him seriously.

7. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

I love cats. The reason I don't trust him is because he was such a misogynist fuckhead.

ETA: My two cats think JoeZhang is a terrible human being.

8. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Wow, Schopenhauer was an ass!

9. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm wracking my brain trying to think of something, but coming up with nought.

That said, I don't really consider my interests to be male orientated either. Metal, sci-fi, motorbikes, guitars, snowboarding, these are all things plenty of women get involved in or enjoy without people thinking it's unusual, aren't they?

10. JoeZhang

I'm into watches - you don't often come across many female collectors - why I don't know.

11. Bagliun Edar

Bagliun Edar Lieutenant Red Shirt

Feminine stuff I like? The only thing I can think of is collective ceramic dolls, and I'd want to have an actual collection. Now that I think about this, I have a Barbie doll stored somewhere. That's all I can think of.

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I love Ally McBeal, and I own all of Avril Lavigne's albums.

14. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're confusing girlie things with having bad taste.

15. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

Weeeeell, I get way into serials. I've seen pretty much all of ER, and kept up with Grey's Anatomy since it started airing (HUGE fucking guilty pleasure, don't judge me). And I maintain that for some series I am not mere fan boy, but a fan girl in a man's body. I squeed way too much during the Doctor Who 50th anniversary special to suggest anything else.

And if we're calling Disney a girls thing, fine. Love a lot of Disney movies and one of my favorite things to do when driving in my car by myself is starting the soundtracks of various and singing along. Gotten pretty good at some of the songs from "Tangled".

Also during Winter Olympics time, figure skating. Thought not this time around.

Always loved The Golden Girls. Even at like age eight when I was all about being a "boy who does boy things".

16. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Biting sarcasm knows no gender. :D

17. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I don't know if that's fair. As you point out, there's a line of thought that childish = feminine and since the point of the thread is to say what "feminine" things you like, people will bring that up as it's the way much of society views feminine interests. Doesn't mean the poster necessarily agrees it should be viewed that way.

18. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cartoons are just plain seen as childish whether it's superheroes or ponies.

19. Amaris

Amaris Guest

They can be seen that way, and it's interesting considering the history of cartoons. They started out very much as adult fare.

20. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whilst it is exceedingly rare that I get this opportunity, I like to shop with my woman for a dress, or an outfit she wants to wear. I hate having to lie about the stupid shit most women try looking trendy in. Invariably it fails to make them look like whatever hot chick they saw wearing it (perhaps, even enhancing flaws, like a flat chest, or fat ass) forcing me to say shit like ... "Looks great on you, Baby" to preserve my "next time" of passion with them. If only they'd dress themselves in what they actually, you know ... look GOOD in, instead of what happens to be fashionable that month. No ... let ME pick it out for you ... trust me. I know what looks good on you.