Feelings Halfway Through The Series

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Nov 9, 2018.

1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I'm fine with that. It shouldn't be a big deal every episode, only when it has a direct effect on the plot. In both cases, it was.

2. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

At the end of year five, it’s revealed we have been watching the second missy all along. It explains the morality lapses. The snap regen was actually a jump cut. This also explains why the Tardis was so far away...it’s actually the masters Tardis. The Missy Doctor actually doesn’t know she’s really missy.
    Where’s the actual Doctor?
    That’s the next five year arc.

This is of course an entirely non serious comment, and should be treated as such.

I do not think there is an arc at the moment. Not even a ‘setting things up for next few years’ arc a la Babylon 5 or Matt Smith era (into Capaldi...it’s amazing how some of that stuff all neatly dovetails, given its blatantly obvious some of it was changed and made up on the fly. Also...the Doctors name cannot be Doctor Who, because that didn’t open the edifice..sorry I mean Tardis...on trenzalore.)

Pindar likes this.
  3. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Perhaps, but, maybe the first step in his five year plan was to establish these characters and the new tone of the show.
    Until Chibnall says anything, we don't know. We only operate under assumptions.

And to be frank, this thread was the first time I heard he had a five year plan. Or at least pitched one.

Starkers likes this.
  4. The Nth Doctor

I do remember early on after his announcement that there was some talk about the five-year plan but I think it was from only one interview and then we didn't hear about again.

5. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

My son has the ataxic form of cerebral palsy which results in him having very similar problems to Ryan. In daily life it only gets mentioned once in a while ie when it stops him doing something he needs or wants to do. I think Ryan’s disability is getting the right enough of attention this series.

Kibbin, The Nth Doctor and Starkers like this.
  6. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was actually the BBC's plan for the next five years in terms of marketing and merchandising. There was never a Chibnall Masterplan.

Starkers likes this.
  7. jaime

Dolls. And a clothing range. Who said the bbc can’t think ahead.....(actually I may have imagined the clothing range.)
    Tbh it’s interesting they are rebranding older stuff, and it will curious if we get novels picking up again.

8. Professor Zoom

Sigh. With this information how will we all be upset and argue about this now non existent five year plan!? You and your facts.

9. jaime

Give me five minutes. I am sure we can find something.
    I’ll say something that can be surface read as controversial, and we’ll be off again.

How about...

I don’t like the New Years scarf, it’s not remotely a call back to Baker, and it just looks like Jane from Rod Jane and Freddy has been cast as the Doctor?
    That should do it.

10. Mr Soak

Mr Soak Commodore Commodore

"Oh, the Doctor's wearing a scarf. It's a nod to Tom Baker."

No, it's just to indicate that it's cold.

11. Professor Zoom

No. Try: Baker’s scarf was as rubbish as he was.

12. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

13. The Nth Doctor

I really hope that's just Mirror garbage and not the truth because I don't want that to be true. Bleah.

14. Professor Zoom

I don’t know. The Daleks seem pretty easy for the Doctor to defeat. Ever. Single. Time, the Doctor has defeated them.

But, we all knew they were coming back. Might as well be the special.

Kibbin likes this.
  15. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Yeah, New Year's Day versus the Daleks seems like a good way to buoy ratings. It also may be a capitulation for Chibnall. "I'll use them in 2019! But they aren't appearing in my 2018 season!"

While the "redesign" thing is a pretty generic guess. I would love to see something like a scale back to the classic grey, blue, gold Daleks.

I've had the feeling that, even if the special isn't about the Daleks, they'll be the stinger for series 12.

16. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I wasn't basing it on anything concrete, since I only knew Chibnall from his Who and Torchwood work, but I've been speculating that in the years to come, people would tend to look at RTD and Moffat's tenures as one big era for the show, and the differences between them wouldn't stand out as much once we had Chibnall's (and his eventualy successors') episodes to compare with on the other end. I think a lot of the people who had strong opinions about one versus the other (and I include myself in that group) were downplaying the continuity in style between the two of them as being an inevitability of 21st century Doctor Who that any showrunner would do, and not evidence of similar sensibilities.

17. jaime

That’s something I actually believe though....

18. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

"Losing the bronze look" could mean....[shudder]this lot[/shudder]

Teletubby Daleks 1a.jpg

Charlie Kelly and The Nth Doctor like this.
  19. The Nth Doctor

They're baaaaaccccck! :lol:

20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

*possibly!