Contest: VOTE February Art Challenge - Vote for Your Theme!

VOTE for FIVE!!! VOTE for FIVE!!! VOTE for FIVE!!!

• Specific Show -- Strange New Worlds

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The More Things Change

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • The New Next Generation

• Beginnings

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Tall Tales

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Timekeeping

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Not Good Enough

• Today Is A Good Day to Die-o-rama

• Wrong Episode Posters

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • BackTreking

• Cold Comfort

• Insert Spock Here

• Rules To Live By

• Bones of Contention

• Black and White...and Grey

• Signs and Symbols

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Leap of Faith (Of The Heart)

• I'm Ready For My Close-Up, Mr DeMille

• Retro Rockets

• Where My Heart Is, Beyond Antares

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Hearts and Flowers

• Be Mine, Space-Time Valentine

• Thrillin' Villain!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Starscape

Commodore
Premium Member
While we wait for final entries in January's Art Challenge, Transporter Malfunctions, to emerge from the pattern buffer (there's only two weeks left to fine-tune those Heisenberg Compensators) we have an opportunity to choose the Theme for February's Challenge.

And just for February we have a special VALENTINE'S DAY section of Themes. To control the number of Themes in the on-going list these Valentine's themes will only be available to vote for this month and then they will be beamed away into the Themes archive for possible use another year.

We also have THE NEUTRAL ZONE and the Themes within it, which scored the lowest average in the polls, are in danger of being eliminated from future votes.

Please feel free to vote whether you intend to create an entry or not, we want to generate as much interest and participation as possible. And let us know how you've voted below and why: what piques your interest about each theme, what you think we might see. You never know, your thoughts could just be the spark that lights someone's imagination and leads to a new piece of Star Trek Art.

We have Twenty-Three Themes suggested by BBS members for you to choose from and you have until the poll closes on the 1st February to vote for your FIVE favourites.

Details for each Theme are as follows:

Specific Show -- Strange New Worlds
Dedicated to art inspired by one specific Star Trek show or era. Each month you have the opportunity to vote for a different era cycling through: TOS/TAS --> TNG --> DS9 --> VOY --> ENT --> MOVIES --> DSC --> PIC --> LDS --> PRO --> SNW --> TOS/TAS --> ...

The More Things Change
Time may move at warp speed, but not everything does. Show us how something Trek has changed over the years - landscapes, buildings, ships, people, beliefs.

The New Next Generation
What's next for Star Trek? Show us what could follow your favorite incarnation of Star Trek or the future of fandom itself: the Next Generation of Star Trek fans.

Beginnings
A New Year is here so taking inspiration from that show us some Trek Art related to new Beginnings. It could be inspired by something from the start of your favourite series or show us the beginning of a new mission, the introduction of a new character, ship or family member.

Tall Tales
Or, a funny thing happened on the way to Delta Vega. Dedicated to those adventures that are the most bizarre and unbelievable, the ones where if you described them to someone they'd reckon you'd done a little too much LDS - Abraham Lincoln floating in space, holograms taking over the Enterprise, being shrunk to the size of a toy, evolving into a lizard?! Or perhaps you can think of something even weirder than those we've seen on the show.

Timekeeping
We know our Starfleet crews get themselves into all sorts of temporal scrapes, but how do they (and other galactic citizens) tell the time wherever they are? Apart from stardates, the odd PADD/viewscreen display, Sisko's Saltah'na clock, and a couple of "antique" 20th century watches, what do contemporary timepieces look like in the Star Trek time periods? Especially those from worlds other than Earth? After all, not everywhere has a 24 hour day...

Not Good Enough
Art inspired by unpopular episodes.

Today Is A Good Day to Die-o-rama
Release your inner child with a diorama demonstrating anything Trek - landscapes, ships, historical moments. Make it or draw it, if you prefer. Mixed media - use any material you want.

Wrong Episode Posters
Have you ever read a synopsis for an episode or movie that only vaguely resembles what you eventually watched? Well, your challenge is to badly interpret the plot of a Star Trek episode or movie and create a promotional poster to advertise it. Maybe you could shift the emphasis of the episode/movie to that of a side-plot or have the main protaganist to be the villain or a minor character. Perhaps, you could swap the genre of the episode entirely: Duet as a musical? The Trouble with Tribbles as a horror?

BackTreking
A temporal agent is tasked with confiscating artwork, photographs, and objects inspired by accidental (Trek) alien contact with Earth. Design an artifact that might raise a few eyebrows if it was allowed to remain behind. (Think something man of that era might have designed, not the object that inspired it - e.g. a painting of a phaser, not the phaser itself.)

Cold Comfort
How is everybody staying warm this winter? Show us your favorite characters cozying up to a fire, enjoying warm beverages, huddling together, etc. Alternately, show us something that can also be described as cold, whether it's Spock's (lack of?) emotions, Deanna's favorite ice cream treat, or a frozen locale.

Insert Spock Here
What would Spock be doing at any given moment in Star Trek shows and movies, were he present for an incident? Put our favorite Vulcan in the picture where he was originally not, whether he would have been lurking in the shadows or actively involved in the action. Alternately, if he was elsewhere at the same moment, show us where and what he was doing.

Rules To Live By
Rules of Acquisition, Lefler's Laws, and more! Illustrate a principle espoused by a character or species and how it might play out in real life, in the Trek universe. (Bonus points if you use an actual episode/film scenario to prove the rule.)

Bones of Contention
What are your favorite Trek characters fighting about? Show us a good-natured squabble, or a knock-down, drag-out brawl...but most importantly, tell us WHY!

Black and White...and Grey
Illustrate something Trek without color. Prove to everyone that Trek looks good, no matter what.

Signs and Symbols
Every good organization has a logo, a banner, or insignia. Design a variation on an already-seen icon, such as the Starfleet Delta or the IDIC (perhaps an earlier version, or a different race's take on it). Or create a flag, symbol, or emblem for a race that currently doesn't have one. Your fanon design might just become canon someday!

Leap of Faith (Of The Heart)
Celebrate the leap year by taking a leap of faith! Prove why "risk is our business" by depicting tricky maneuvers, scary encounters, and characters beating the odds.

I'm Ready For My Close-Up, Mr DeMille
Technology, people, places - we've seen no end, but have we seen through the deck 14 forward view ports of the Enterprise-D? Or zoomed in on the eastern shoreline of that inland circular sea on Betazed? Or been up close and personal enough with Big Merp to see if his skin is made up of finely interlocking scales?
Show a close-up of something/one from Star Trek which includes details (of your own design) that have yet to be seen on screen.

Retro Rockets
Everything new is old again! Take inspiration from older art forms, styles and designs to depict Trek tech and scenes. What would a cave painting of first contact with the Vulcans look like? How about a transporter room in an ancient Roman mosaic? Regency-era Borg? Klingons discovering America? Medieval away teams?

[VALENTINE'S DAY]
Where My Heart Is, Beyond Antares
How do characters/species show their love for each other? Friends, parents and kids, true loves...anything you want.

Hearts and Flowers
Happy Valentine's Day! Incorporate imagery of hearts and flowers into any Trek-themed project you choose. (Doesn't necessarily have to be directly related to Valentine's Day)

Be Mine, Space-Time Valentine
What kind of Valentine cards and candy would Trek species dole out? Design a card or gift, alien/Starfleet style.
[VALENTINE'S DAY]

[THE NEUTRAL ZONE]
Thrillin' Villain!
SNW needs another villain species! Pick an irredeemable cultural feature (just as for the Cardassians it was fascism, or for the Ferengi it was capitalist greed) and design a new enemy race that embodies it!
[THE NEUTRAL ZONE]

Remember you can choose FIVE!!

Thanks for voting, have fun! :bolian:

Christmastime Themes:

That Rings A (Jingle) Bell

"Hmmm...I remember this, but I can't quite put my finger on where I've seen it before." Place something that looks uncannily Trek in a place you'd never expect to find it. Bonus replicator credits if it's hiding in a holiday-themed setting.

Every Problem Has A (Re)Solution
What New Year's resolutions are your favorite characters making for themselves and each other? Depict your favorite Trek characters facing their fears, learning a new skill, or quitting an old habit.

As Prophecy Foretold
Portray a scene from a species's religious texts or show a character taking part in a spiritual activity, visiting a religious site, etc.

Season's Greetings
Show us what you imagine our favourite Star Trek characters might send or receive in the way of gifts or greetings cards at the this time of year - a family picture of the Rikers, a Quark's Bar gift voucher, a personalised coffee mug?

Christmas Crossover
Taking inspiration from your favourite festive stories, movies, music videos (?) show us how they might manifest if they played out in the Star Trek Universe. Which character would be your choice for Scrooge or what would happen if Wesley was left Home Alone?

I voted for "Timekeeping" and "I'm ready for my close-up..." as I already have vague ideas for them being as they were my suggestions (although those ideas will almost certainly change if they ever get their 'starring moment'), and I'd love to see what other people do with these themes.
I also went for "Wrong Episode Posters" as I think the resultant posters could be very amusing (and much cleverer than anything I could come up with); "Retro Rockets" because I'd love to see some different art styles (I'm thinking of the time Calvin - as in "and Hobbes" - had his perspective changed and ended up Cubist); and "Where My Heart Is, Beyond Antares" because I've got a soft spot for this theme and think it could easily encompass the other Valentine's themes, too.

Edit: I really like the "Insert Spock Here" theme too, but could never draw Ethan Peck Spock (:luvlove:) well enough to capture his attractiveness...

Last edited:
We have two themes leading the way so far, but there's still time to impact the results if you haven't voted yet.

Three days until the poll closes.

In the end it was a close run contest, but we have a definitive winning Theme for February:

Wrong Episode Posters
Have you ever read a synopsis for an episode or movie that only vaguely resembles what you eventually watched? Well, your challenge is to badly interpret the plot of a Star Trek episode or movie and create a promotional poster to advertise it. Maybe you could shift the emphasis of the episode/movie to that of a side-plot or have the main protaganist to be the villain or a minor character. Perhaps, you could swap the genre of the episode entirely: Duet as a musical? The Trouble with Tribbles as a horror?

I've not a lot to add to the description this time, but perhaps those with love on their mind for February could use that as inspiration to spin an episode in a romantic fashion?

Looking forward to seeing your entries. Have Fun! :bolian:

Ah, February should be fun! I've got the Carry On films stuck in my head - Carry On Up the Final Frontier, could be a contender...
fCCSQnY.gif

Back