Favourite Tagline

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Too Much Fun, Mar 16, 2011.

?

Favourite Star Trek Movie Tagline?

1. The Human Adventure Is Just Beginning.

41.4%
  2. At the End of the Universe Lies the Beginning of Vengeance.

17.2%
  3. Join the Search / A Dying Planet. A Fight For Life.*

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. How On Earth Can They Save the Future? **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Why Are They Putting Seatbelts In Theaters This Summer? ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. The Battle For Peace Has Begun.

6.9%
  7. Two Captains. One Destiny. / Boldly Go.

3.4%
  8. Resistance Is Futile. *****

31.0%
  9. The Battle for Paradise Has Begun.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. A Generation's Final Journey Begins.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

I thought this might be a fun idea for a Star Trek movies poll because it could provoke many of us (including myself) to vote for another movie besides our favourite. I believe the Star Trek movies have been pretty consistent with the quality of their taglines and I was wondering what others think of them. I remember how excited I was in 1994 seeing Picard and Kirk's faces rendered in space on the "Star Trek: Generations" poster with the Enterprise and the tagline "Two Captains. One Destiny." between them.

At the time, I barely knew anything about the original series (was a TNG fan, but had never seen any other Star Trek series or movie), yet I couldn't help but get anxious at the prospect of a crossover. I just thought it was cool how the people making the movies were going to do something really nice for the die hard Star Trek fans by bringing the captains from the two series together. This is why I still think "Star Trek: Generations" had the best tagline. Even as someone who wasn't a fan of the 60s show, this one aroused so much curiosity and awe in me. I imagine it generated even more anticipation from people who loved both shows. How about the rest of you? Which taglines got you the most excited and/or appealed to you most because they were ominous, intriguing, and/or clever?

I did a lot of google searching (for poster images) and IMDB browsing to make this poll as thorough as possible. According to IMDB, each movie had several taglines. Instead of including all of them in the list above, I tried to limit the choices to the one or two most prominent ones. Here are some of the more cumbersome alternate ones that were too long to be included in the poll's listing...please specify if you're voting for one of them:

* "Star Trek III: The Search for Spock" - "The needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many."

** "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home" - "They travelled back where 23rd Century Man Had Never Gone Before. To a Mad, Crazy, Outrageous Time. San Francisco 1986."

***"Star Trek V: The Final Frontier" - "Adventure and Imagination Will Meet the Final Frontier."

**** "Star Trek: Generations" - "Beyond Time. Beyond the Known Universe. Beyond Imagination. An Adventure for a New Generation."

***** "Star Trek: First Contact" - "Planet Earth. Population 9 billion. None Human."

- I excluded the tagline for "Star Trek" ("The Future Begins") because this is the "Movies I-X" forum, but if you like that one better than any of the first ten, feel free to say so.

P.S. While doing my IMDB research, I discovered that apparently one of the taglines for "Star Trek: Insurrection" was "Get Warped". :rofl:

edit: Sorry, forgot to include "****" after selection 7 in the poll.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  2. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Honestly, half of those are pretty frickin' rad:

The Human Adventure Is Just Beginning.
    At the End of the Universe Lies the Beginning of Vengeance. The Battle For Peace Has Begun.
    Two Captains. One Destiny. / Boldly Go.
    Resistance Is Futile. *****
    The Battle for Paradise Has Begun.

... Are all good. I really can't choose just one, so I'll go with Resistance is Futile, what the heck. :p

3. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just wanted to add a few more that were used for TMP.

There's "The Human Adventure is Just Beginning" of course. Also used on the same poster "The 23rd Century Now" and "There Is No Comparison".

Oh yeah, also seen on TSFS poster (slight variation)
    "A Dying Planet. A Fight for Life. The Search for Spock".

It's too much for a tagline, but I always liked TWOK radio ad: "The scientists created it. A madman stole it. An admiral pursued it. Now, none can escape it."

4. RichMerk

RichMerk Captain Captain

The TMP tagline is the heart and soul of Star Trek.

5. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

I never noticed before now that INS cribbed TUC’s tagline.

Its tagline should have been, “Um, we’re totally out of ideas.”. Actually, FC, INS, and NEM could all have used that tagline, and GEN could have used “We have a few ideas left, but they suck.”

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The Human Adventure Is Just Beginning.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm mainly struck by the number of variations of "begins" in there. ;)

I gotta go with First Contact - "Resistance Is Futile" - or the Star Trek 5 slogan. Those seat belts sure didn't keep people from escaping, though. :lol:

8. Alienesse

Alienesse Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm going with the TMP tagline - "The Human Adventure Is Just Beginning". It think it captures the essence of what Star Trek is about: the idea that the exploration of space is actually a means of exploring human nature itself. It also contains the implication that there is a better future for humanity, which is one of Trek's main concepts. That tagline gives me goosebumps really.:D

9. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

I always felt that TUC won, not with the tagline, but with the teaser trailer.

"For one quarter of a century, they have thrilled us with their adventures, amazed us with their discoveries, and inspired us with their courage. Their ship has journeyed beyond imagination; her name has become legend; her crew, the finest ever assembled. We have traveled beside them from one corner of the galaxy to the other. They have been our guides, our protectors, and our friends..."

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The TMP one would have been AWESOME if it was bookended with a Trekpocalyptic movie with the tagline "The human adventure is about to end" :cool:

I'll go with Nemesis - "A Generation's final journey begins". It went brilliantly with the TV ads showing the Enterprise crashing, cut with the Scimitar exploding.

STXI's "The Future Begins" was cool, but IMO "The Future Begins Again" would have been cooler and more fitting.

11. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

As mentioned, TMP tag line is the heart and soul of Star Trek. "The Human Adventure Is Just Beginning": the human race will not just survive, we will travel to the frontier of space, explore worlds beyond our world, and reach what was thought unreachable. And that's just the beginning.

On the opposite note, I cannot help but feel a shiver when I see the alternate First Contact's tag line: "Planet Earth. Population 9 billion. None human." Brr.

12. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

"Why Are They Putting Seatbelts In Theaters This Summer?"

After we saw STV, the answer my friends and myself had for this question was:

"So the audience can't leave!"

13. EnterpriseGeek

EnterpriseGeek Ensign Red Shirt

I have always liked "The Human Adventure Is Just Beginning."

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Half of the slogans manage to work in some variation of "begins."

15. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Ditto. That's the only one that lingers in my mind.