Favorite Starfleet Uniform Design

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Archaeologist, Jul 10, 2010.

?

Favorite Starfleet Uniform Design

1. Early "The Original Series"

4.3%
  2. Mid-Late "The Original Series"

4.8%
  3. Star Trek: The Motion Picture

3.3%
  4. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan "Monster Maroons"

23.0%
  5. Later Maroon Uniform (Earlier flashbacks in TNG)

0.5%
  6. Early "The Next Generation"

1.9%
  7. Mid-Late "The Next Generation"

9.1%
  8. Early "Deep Space Nine" & "Voyager"

6.7%
  9. Mid-Late "Deep Space Nine" and "First Contact"

31.1%
  10. "Enterprise"

6.7%
  11. Star Trek (2009)

6.2%
  12. Other (Specify)

2.4%
  1. Archaeologist

Archaeologist Lieutenant Red Shirt

What is your favorite Starfleet uniform design out of the entire series? The uniforms of Star Trek's Federation Starfleet has been an interesting topic for me since some time ago. I would have to say that my favorite uniforms are the so-called "Monster Maroons," a.k.a. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan uniforms, continuing up to just a few years or so prior to Star Trek: The Next Generation. I like the maroon red jacket/coat colors to begin with, and the black trousers complete the look. They actually look quite formal, elegant, and sharp, in my opinion, which may be why the design appeals to me so much. My least favorite design however, would have to be the uniforms featured in Star Trek: The Motion Picture, as to me, they far too much resembled pyjamas, rather than uniforms of any sort. They were very... outlandish. Too stereotypically "futuristic," as in something from a B movie, no offence intended for those that believe it's a good design. Just my opinion.

2. Capt_Pickirk

Capt_Pickirk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Those uniforms at the start of star trek (2009) were pretty cool. Although they did remind me of those future uniforms from Tng's "all good things..."

3. RegFan

RegFan Commodore Commodore

I voted for the FC uniforms, but I like the VOY uniforms as well. The ENT uniforms are among my least favorite, but they look the extremely practical.

4. Arix

Arix Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The FC/DS9 uniforms are my favourite - so much so that when I decided to make a uniform for a costume party, I made myself a FC/DS9 era Science officer uniform :)

I'm also quite fond of the VOY/DS9 uniforms, TWOK/movie era uniforms, and well - who isn't a fan of TOS uniforms? ;)

On the other hand, I've never liked the Motion Picture uniforms - bleh! And the Enterprise uniforms are average at best...

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Enterprise uniforms were the first ones that looked really believable. I loved how the Kelvin uniforms in STXI are a stylized halfway between ENT and TOS, and the STXI nuTOS are my favourite at the moment.

IMO the TMP, TNG, VOY and DS9 gear are PJ's, or variations of PJ's :lol:. TWoK gear looks too Mountie-like for my tastes. FC looks like smart funeral winter PJ's.

All-time worst looking gear? The alternate futures of "All Good Things" and "Endgame". Worst fugly PJ's ever. Bizarrely these are very similar to the far-superior Kelvin uniforms. I guess that's the difference a big budget makes.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

7. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Early TOS.

My favorite is from the original "The Cage" pilot with the muted colors, de-emphasis on individual ranks, and the wraparound grey field jackets.

8. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pyjama uniforms are a must. Think about it - unlimited access to replicators and no TV? The crew would be as big as houses without those form-fitting uniforms and Dr McCoy's regular lypo-suction sessions.

9. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'll go for the TWOK uniforms. They're really the only ones I could wear without feeling embarrassed. TOS uniforms are cool, but in a silly way (not that that's a bad thing).

10. Ensign Johnson

Ensign Johnson Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I liked the DS9/VOY uniforms, mostly black with a splash of colour. I quite liked the newer DS9 uniforms but they looked a bit warm with all those layers and the jacket looked thicker.

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

TOS uniforms (ST09 is just a variation IMO) are the best. ENT the most practical.

12. di_mar

di_mar Lieutenant Red Shirt

Aw. Poor Enterprise. Only I have voted for it so far ;(
    Yes, I did like their uniforms the best, strangely enough.
    Pyjama uniforms - oh, yes. This would certainly appeal to the younger generation of today. Why, in England, some women are even taking to going out to go shopping in their PJs'.

13. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I voted for First Contact, but TWOK uniforms were a close second. Both had a (IMO) serious attitude about them that I liked. The VOYAGER/DS9 jumpsuits were a little too informal for my tastes.

14. Subcommander R.

Subcommander R. Commodore Commodore

TWOK followed by First Contact.

15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

First Contact uniforms, followed closely by the TWOK uniforms.

Worse are the Trek XI. Cheap knock-offs of the far superior TOS uniforms. Plus, they went out of their way to change everything else from its TOS look, so keeping the uniforms so similar just looks out of place.

16. Stardate

Stardate Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well it is all good to have an opinion but i would think most scientist designers would disagree with you completely .The uniform in the Motion Picture seems to be standard view how futuristic uniform should look like. Very comfortable and light and a lot better then heavy nautical inspired uniforms in The Wrath of Kahn.

17. Orcus

Orcus Captain Captain

This has been done in many polls over the years. I still go for TOS - it's what I grew up with. I also have a fondness for both the Cage and TMP uniforms...

...least favourite are the TWOK for reasons listed above and elsewhere.

18. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

19. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

My order, from best to worst....

1.) Enterprise - They were the ones that most looked like real uniforms.
    2.) Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
    3.) Mid-Late "Deep Space Nine" and "First Contact"
    4.) Later Maroon Uniform
    5.) Early "Deep Space Nine" & "Voyager"
    6.) Mid-Late "The Next Generation"
    7.) Mid-Late "The Original Series"
    8.) Early "The Next Generation"
    9.) Early "The Original Series"
    10.) Star Trek (2009)
    11.) Star Trek: The Motion Picture

20. James Wright

James Wright Commodore Commodore

I picked the TWOK uniform wiith TOS uniforms (later versions)a close second.

James