Poll Favorite seasonal foods appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Kor, Oct 19, 2017.

?

Top five favorite seasonal foods/drinks?

Poll closed Jan 19, 2018.
  1. Pumpkin pie

37.9%
  2. Pumpkin spice latte

3.4%
  3. Eggnog

24.1%
  4. Roast turkey

48.3%
  5. Roast goose

6.9%
  6. Baked ham

27.6%
  7. Fruitcake

17.2%
  8. Hot buttered rum

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Mulled wine

3.4%
  10. Hot apple cider

17.2%
  11. Danish butter cookies

10.3%
  12. Deep fried whole turkey

13.8%
  13. Gingerbread

31.0%
  14. Other (specify in your comments)

44.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like good, smooth eggnog that isn't too thick, and has a strong hint of vanilla. Organic Valley is a nice-tasting brand. Then I mix in equal parts dark rum, brandy, and bourbon.
    :drool:

I would not be averse to making my own eggnog, as I regularly down raw eggs after my workout sessions anyway, and I've never gotten sick from it. I only took this up after doing lots of my own research on this topic, and I make sure the eggs are from a trusted source.

Of course, please don't consider this as advising you to do the same! As the typical restaurant disclaimer/advisory says: "Consuming raw or undercooked meats, poultry, seafood, shellfish, or eggs may increase your risk of foodborne illness."

Kor

2. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

I love pumpkin pie, turkey, apple pie, corn on the cob, ham and squash.

3. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

Margin of error. Over ruled!

4. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    You just tell yourself, "It's a holiday and this is a present I'm giving myself." Guilt-free. That was my policy for when I'd spend weekends in Calgary two or three times a year. There's a fantastic book and gaming store there, with all kinds of Good Stuff we just don't get in Red Deer. So I'd save my money for a few months and then decide on a budget and if I went over by a bit, it was guilt-free.

BTW, if you want to try something different with turkey, here's something I learned during my years with the Society for Creative Anachronism. Our shire was a New World branch, which meant anything Native American that could be documented as occurring during the time when Europeans were in North or South America until the year 1600 AD was fair game.

So we had a New World theme one year for our annual Harvest Feast and one of the dishes served was turkey with chocolate sauce - which is something the Aztecs did. It's an interesting combination of flavors, and quite good.

Avro Arrow likes this.
  5. Kor

Ah, yes. This would probably be like the mole sauces common in Mexican cuisine, especially mole poblano.

Kor

6. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow that sounds invitingly amazing. Like something you would leave to the professionals though.

7. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pumpkin pie, eggnog (candy cane flavoured is really good along with original), and candy corn.

8. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

I read somewhere that there is now pumpkin pie flavored Kit Kats but I think that they are sold by Kroger and other store owned by Kroger. I don't have any of those near me.

9. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

We sometimes make fresh apple pies in the fall, from local orchards.

Kor likes this.
  10. cosmic mouse

cosmic mouse Commodore Commodore

Yep, the entire thing is deep fried... a friend of mine did this one year in his backyard. The fryer was massive and took a huge amount of cooking oil. The entire bird was carefully into that vat of oil:there's a reason he did it outside. The meat was delicious; one of the best turkeys I've ever had!

Kor and Refuge like this.
  11. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Haggis.

12. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

Painch, tripe, or thairm:
    Weel are ye worthy o' a grace

Yummo ;)

13. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

I voted for hot cider and gingerbread.

My others would be
    — fresh apples. My favorite kind seems to change every few years; currently, it’s Honeycrisp.
    — Pumpkin Pie ice cream by a local company called Taharka Brothers. Not crazy about actual pumpkin pie. Sweet potato pie is similar but better, but I still wouldn’t call it a favorite.

My nostalgic favorite would be stuffing/dressing, but I haven’t had any in years since I don’t eat meat.

14. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

I really like Honeycrisp too... it's the kind I currently have at home right now! :)

I think my all-time favourite is probably Cripps Pink/Pink Lady, though.

Kor likes this.
  15. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Sausage apple stuffing.
    Oven-baked stuffing (not in the bird) with sausage and apples and lots of onion and garlic.
    Basically the delicious savory taste of the holidays as far as I'm concerned.

16. Kor

That would be an interesting topic for discussion: preference for sweet potato pie or pumpkin pie.
    Oftentimes I will choose sweet potato pie, but I find that pumpkin pie has a richer, deeper and more complex flavor. So it depends on what I'm in the mood for.

Kor

17. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

So I've mentioned here (and probably elsewhere :shifty:) how much I like pumpkin spice. But I also mentioned in this thread that I didn't really like egg nog. So what am I supposed to do when I find this?

[​IMG]

Well, I ended up getting it to try. And it turns out I actually liked it... my love of pumpkin spice outweighs my dislike of egg nog. Who knew?

18. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

roast duck (Christmas) - the wife and I's traditional Christmas Eve meal

Brefugee likes this.
  19. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't like this poll, because it only let me pick gingerbread cookies once, instead of the five times I wanted to pick it.

Tora Ziyal and Avro Arrow like this.
  20. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

When it's just the two of us, Mrs-Dimesdan and I have Duck on Christmas Day.