Fate of the Terran Empire (spoiler)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Feb 16, 2011.

1. bok2384

bok2384 Commander Red Shirt

Dragging this thread back off topic again, sorry Turtletrekker, but I'm another refugee from Memory Beta. I recognize many of the user names here and it is such a shame that all of them have been driven off by Captainmike. Like many of you, I left because of his attitude of behavior, but I believed I was an isolated case. Just last week I received an email from another concerned contributor who had stopped due to Mike's attitude.

As one of the "founding members" and a bureaucrat, I would be more than willing to join a "coup" against Mike should it come to that. However, I would only do so if I was guaranteed the support of others.

Failing that, I've created my own "expanded universe" wiki at http://www.memory-omega.com, and all of you are welcome to participate, but it would be better if we could return "home" and continue the good work we started.

Thank you for listening. :)

Revanche2 likes this.
  2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I used to go to Memory Beta all the time. Didn't post or anything like that but did follow the entries and use some stuff for reference for various stories. Had no idea there was a tool there modifying edits for his own preference. That kind of defeats the purpose of the place doesn't it? I saw the statuses from the Mack...I'm very excited for that book too. One of the few books I am looking forward too.

Revanche2 likes this.
  3. TheAlmanac

TheAlmanac Writer Captain

I hadn't been paying attention to usernames, but I did notice that Memory Beta was increasingly shifting its entries to fit an approach to content which I didn't like...

Regardless of whether it's one user with too much time to spare or more, you can add me to the list of people who'd be supportive of setting up a new standard at the wiki which acknowledges the multiple continuities currently at work. Is there some other wiki that might provide a guide for how this would work?

Revanche2 likes this.
  4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just checked and he changed the Terran Empire entry back again. How do I revert it back to MLB's version? I'll also join up with any attempt to separate continuities in the entries. I've read through some of the entries where things aren't separated and it is really confusing.

5. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You can't, he has protected the entry until March 2nd.

6. Cybersnark

Cybersnark Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm a big fan of how the no-longer-wikia Transformers Wiki does it, with characters/events/locations separated by continuity family/timeline (as separate articles) and as different media (within the article).

As examples, note that Ratchet (G1) is a different character from his mirror-universe counterpart, Ratchet (SG), while G1 Ratchet's fiction section is separated into the Marvel Comics, G1 cartoon series, Dreamwave comics, IDW comics, and every other distinct medium G1 Ratchet has appeared in.

A similar setup for Trek would probably include, say Leonard McCoy (Prime), Leonard McCoy (Mirror), and Leonard McCoy (Abrams) as separate pages, with TOS, TAS, Pocket Books, Crucible, and Shatnerverse chapters all within McCoy Prime's page (since they're all alternate interpretations of the same person).

7. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

:censored:

edited to avoid ANOTEHR warning...

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
    captainmkb likes this.
  8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

:scream::mad::censored: Well, I have at least gone up against him in the talk section of the article.

Revanche2 likes this.
  9. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

The douche known as Captain Mike wrote this in the page's talk section:
    Y'know, I wasn't planning on having the ending of Rise Like Lions set that far forward in the continuity, but now I'm thinking about how I might work that in just to put a figurative boot up this guy's ass.

10. JB2005

JB2005 Commodore Commodore

This comment has made my day!

Revanche2 likes this.
  11. D Man

D Man Commodore Commodore

:lol: Mine too. I sure am looking forward to this book! :bolian:

12. bfollowell

bfollowell Captain Captain

:rommie: Ditto!

I'm anxious for all the new TrekLit coming this year but this title along with the two new Vanguard titles are the three that have me the most psyched. I almost can't wait for this title, though I guess I'll have to find some way to make through until the end of the year.

Oh well, back to the DS9 relaunch.

- Byron

13. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Doesn't seem much worse than all that bovine scat a few years back about a supposed suppressed episode called "Requiem for a Martian." I mean, that hoax wasn't even funny. At least the ones about Star Trek having prior existences as a 19th-century dime novel series, and an early-20th-century theatrical serial, were good for a laugh.

(During that period, I had an Uncyclopedia article up for a short time, asserting that the existence/nonexistence of that episode was the point-of-divergence that spawned off the Terran Empire universe, and that for a time, Dulmer & Lucsly had their hands full keeping rogue copies of it out of this universe.)

As to STO, I'd say that The Needs of the Many is about the only taste I care for, from that bottle.

14. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm going to be moving this discussion to Private Message, so this is last call for those who want to add their names to the list of people to whom I'll be PMing my first draft of a letter to the Memory Beta community about its policies on continuity labeling and on the behavior of Captainmike. Please PM me your name if you want in on our "coup."

captainmkb and Revanche2 like this.
  15. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ /hero

16. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

I also gave up on Memory Beta because of Captainmike's behavior.

Btw, several years ago, I tried to get Wikia approval for a wiki covering only Star Trek novels and comics (at the time, Memory Beta had more video game and RPG content than Trek Lit material), but their administrators didn't think there would be sufficient interest to justify one.

captainmkb likes this.
  17. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

A word to the wise, my friends-- there is a poster here who goes by the name Captain Mike (although he seldom, if ever, posts in Lit), if that is the same Captain Mike, then board rules could see this as flaming.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
    captainmkb likes this.
  18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

You should do it.:biggrin:

captainmkb likes this.
  19. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

For those of us still interested in following continuing developments at Memory Beta, the Terran Empire talk page features the following developments:

Bold added.

captainmkb likes this.
  20. Columbia

Columbia Ensign Newbie

I don't seem to have PM privileges. Is there some way that I can participate? - Columbia