Farscape - The comic series just finished

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by M'rk son of Mogh, Oct 22, 2011.

1. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Did anybody follow this?
    I had no idea it was ending until I read the last book! That sucks, I liked the following the continuing adventures of our crew.

Not only that, but it was VERY well written, the character voices were spot on and acted perfectly. I liked the big new threat, but I didn't really care for all of the religious stuff going on that eventually helped save them (I generally do like exploring the idea of religion, but maybe in the comic form it just seemed a bit rushed and not fully fleshed out? Something seemed off a bit to me). But other than that minor, minor complaint, it was a worthy successor to the series and have nothing but praise for the full creative teams!

If you haven't checked them out and you're a Farscape fan, I can't recommend it highly enough (the first scene in the books is the very last scene of Peacekeeper Wars). I'm sure there are trades of most of it out by now.

Too bad there were still unanswered questions, but, hey, whatcha gonna do?

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I only read the first three hardcovers, and then the fourth hardcover got put on hold and then was eventually canceled (and then was going to be released as a paperback at some undisclosed date). I really wanted to keep reading them, but I was only interested in purchasing the trades.

3. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I didn't know it was ending either. I got the very first two issues when it was first introduced, but didn't get any further than that (I had too many books on my pull list; something had to give). Still, I saw new issues appear fairly regularly on the shelves of my local comics shop, so I thought it'd run indefinitely at Boom!.

Interesting...

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

So now that it's canceled, have they announced a new Stargate Atlantis comic?

5. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

I got them at first, but gave up after a year or so ... they were simply too short, and not a good value for the money, when compared to other comics I was buying at the time. As thin as they were, they could have doubled the pages and it would have just about been worth the 4 bucks each issue cost.

That said, the writing was very good, the characterizations spot-on, and for the most part, the art was decent as well. It was just too little for the money.

And speaking of ... I saw all four seasons of FarScape on DVD at Wal-Mart tonight at just 13 bucks per season.

Boy I wish I would have known they would go for that cheap a few years ago when I was trying to hunt down the then-out of print releases.

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I have some of them. Soon I will have all of them, I guess. The characterization was spot on, and the art was pretty good. A shame this is it. Low sales, I guess?

7. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^
    I remember reading when the series first came out how happy Boom was with the sales. But, like everything (especially comics), after the first few issues readership/purchases slowly decline over time.

I sure hope that wasn't the case here, though. Maybe they were just done with the story? Heck, being optimistic, maybe the next chapter is going to be those web episodes they've been talking about for years! (Probably too late for those, I imagine...)

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Yeah, last I heard the funding for the webisodes fell through when the economic collapse happened. It's probably been too long to get the project started again, unfortunately. I don't know why they didn't just make another miniseries (approx.) ten years ago.

9. Plain Simple

Plain Simple Commodore Commodore

I haven't read any of these, but I loved the tv series, so I might start reading these at some point. From this thread, I get they were a good continuation of the tv show?

How many of them are there? Are they all collected in TPBs?

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The ones that I read were fantastic. The characterization was perfect.

Does anybody know if the last collection ever made it into TPB form?

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

According to Amazon Vol. 9 is coming out on Sept. 4. I'm assuming this will probably be the last one since Vol. 7 starts the War for the Uncharted Territories, which was the last story arc. For some reason they don't have an entry for Vol. 8.
    I haven't read them yet, but I plan on starting them on Comixology eventually.