False Profits

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by JeffinOakland, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Nichelle Nichols objected to the book scene, thinking that Uhura should have known how to speak Klingon after all those years at Communications.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which may be why nu Uhura in 2009 could speak several dialects of Klingon.

The scene with the book was funny, but it did make them look like idiots, which is also why it was funny.

"Sigh"

Although considering TNG was on air when this movie came out, trying to change the Universal Translator rules was a bit of a dick move on their part.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Remind me again why they need huge real books rather than the computer?

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ The kind of civilian pilots the Enterprise crew were impersonating, would not have a translator. So if the Klingons knew they had one, the game is up.

In the novelization, though, Valeris erases all records of Klingonese from the computer so the translator wouldn't work...

5. Guy Gardener

Stop making her even sexier.

6. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

It makes sense that you would be able to tell in someone was speaking to you through a universal translator.

But that doesn't explain the books.

The UT could display the English to Klingon translation on a screen phonetically, Uhura could then repeat that to the Klingon. There would be no problem with using the audio UT for the response.

Admittedly it was a dorky embarrassing funny scene.

:)

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why would they even have those books. On board.

8. Guy Gardener

Someone's personal collection?

Although obviously not Uhuras.

From the looks of them, they were recovered from paleoanthropology or xenoarcheology or even socialsciences .

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Maybe the kind of Klingonese that the UT would render, is of a grammatical type that's easily recognizable. The crew were, IIRC, impersonating a tough, working-class type of pilot. So the UT would have rendered a type of Klingonese that these kinds of pilots wouldn't speak. Wrong dialect or social class or whatever. Therefore it wouldn't work even if they'd read the words from a screen.

The Klingons they were speaking to, didn't seem surprised to hear them talking the way they do (in broken, halting phrases) anyway...

10. Guy Gardener

I'm pretty sure that we briefly heard a Stephen Hawking voice coming out of the hand unit Kirk was holding to his ear during the court case before the reality softened to allow us to listen in English.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

No, we heard the voice of the Klingon who was serving as the court's translator. That's the same voice Kirk and McCoy heard through their devices.