F1 2014 Championship Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Lonemagpie, Dec 20, 2013.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well that was a close qualy session.

2. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

I thought that maybe we seen someone else on pole,with the Mercedes struggling on the weekend,will it be a other mecedes 1-2 again?.

3. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Not a good start for Rosberg. Stalling on the parade lap...

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well that result certainly makes the Championship more interesting, with Lewis now only three points pehind Roberg, though it's still two DNF's for Rosberg comapred against Lewis' three DNF's

5. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Three points ahead of Rosberg. :)

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Trophies aren't handed out until the end of the season however, but engine mileage has been saved for Rosberg which might come into play towards the end of the season. With power unit compenats being stretch to their end, and maybe someone will need to take a penatly for using a sixth component. Still five races to go.

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

A few stats for the title contenders

Poles

LH: 6
    NR: 7

Wins

LH: 7
    NR: 4

Podiums

LH: 11
    NR: 11

Races where points were awarded

LH: 11
    NR: 12

Retirements

LH: 3
    NR: 2

Head to head when both cars finished

LH 6 vs NR 3

Avg. Points per race finished

LH: 21.90
    NR: 19.83

NB: LH suffered brake failure during Q2 at GER, engine fire during Q1 at HUN

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Some less kind people might say that Ricciardo has chased Vettel out of RBR with today's story of Vettel jumping ship likely to Ferrari, so were does that leave Alonso the only real option for a drive has to McLaren Honda, in that case who goes at McLaren, I think it would have to be Button so you have a mix of experienced and youth.

9. Geckothan

Geckothan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hasn't Vettel said in the past that he would like to drive for Ferrari? Maybe he thinks that the Red Bull domination is over without Newey and he might as well go off and fulfil another dream.

Alonso to McLaren sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, but maybe he has patched things up with Ron (I can see Alonso taking a massive pay cut if it does happen - you don't try to bring down your employer and then get invited back a few years later without any consequences)?

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well the latest rumour is Alonso is only after a 1 year deal, If I were McLaren I might be tempted to resign Button for a year rather than take a driver who is already looking to 2016 and a possible Mercedes seat. Because it seems as if Ferrari are interested in Hamilton as are no doubt McLaren and perhaps even RBR for his services in 2016. Only time will tell if that seat is even available but it doesn't exactly show commitment to a team to sign a 1 year only deal.

But onto the race quite a good race aside from the accident which caused the race to be stopped. Which didn't come as a suprise once the ambulance had been deployed. Just have to wait for more news on Bianchi but it does serve to remind that despite all the safety improvments F1 like all Motorsports is still dangerous

I still think they should have brought the race forward by a couple of hours

11. Geckothan

Changing the race time wouldn't have made a difference imo - it didn't look THAT wet, and the light levels looked just fine on TV (the cameras can make it look better than it really is though). They should have brought the safety car out as soon as Sutil crashed. Yellows just aren't good enough in the wet when you've got marshals and diggers in a position like that.

Sad end to an otherwise decent race.

12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Should the SC have been deployed after Sutil going off perhpas, hindsight is a wonderful thing but that area of the track was under double waved yellow which looking back over the years is normally sufficent to recover a car esp. when it's right by a marshall station. We still don't know the full details of Bianchi's accident yet, and this is the first year with the new power units, and how they deliver power.

But some drivers are saying the conditions were driveable whilst others such as Massa were saying they weren't but at that time most of them where on inters and not full wets, but then again different cars have different levels of grip and tyres are at different stages in their life

I'm sure lessons will be learned as they have from previous accidents.

13. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Video of the Jules Bianchi Crash surfaced Here (you might want to turn down the volume,with the annoying music)
    Wow its nasty, you wouldn't think that such a light car could lift a heavy crane the way it did.
    Praying that he recovers completely

Yes the race should have been called.
    or a safety car on the track, but if there was yellow flags further back, and the way/speed at which the car came in, I wonder if its plausible there was a mechanical failure of sorts either Brakes or a stuck throttle?

14. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Horrifying accident, absolutely horrifying.

15. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

My first thought after the initial crash was that they need to SC or Red Flag immediately in case somebody else went off at the same spot. I couldn't believe it when I heard.

Could have been a lot worse still, a few minutes earlier and there would have been marshals in the way.

16. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The inital crash wasn't that bad, and looked as if it would easily be recoverable under double-waved yellow. Had the accident been further away from a stewards post then it was i.e right at one, then perhaps a SC would be warrented. We've seen plenty of similar accidents like Sutil's recovered safely under double-waved yellow. Which after all means slow down and be prepared to stop, but before any knee-jerk reactions of what should be done there has to be an investigation of what exactly happened, was the accident down to the conditions, driver error, mechanical failure or a combination of things.

But perhaps when the SC is deployed does need to be reviewed as this isn't the first incident this year when some have said the SC should have been deployed i.e GER was it when we had marshalls crossing the track to retrieve a car.

There are perhaps other solutions rather than deploying the SC i.e. use of a speed limiter within double-waved yellow zones. Which reduces the risk at the incident site whilst not preventing racing in green zones.

17. Geckothan

The reason the SC was needed imo is purely due to the risk of someone aquaplaning off and smashing into marshals or tractors (which is what happened). If Sutil's accident happened in the dry or in a less risky position, there would be no need for it.

Pretty much every driver ignores double waved yellows (well as much as possible without getting in trouble), and even if they did observe them, they'd still be going fast enough to cause a serious accident.

18. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

I toohave seen the footage and it bloody amazing he didnt did on impact,hope he makes a full recovery and back behind the car of f1 car soon.

19. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

All that i'd agree with, but all bets are off in the sort of conditions they were driving in.

Anyway, being realistic, Bianchi is very unlikely to be behind the wheel of an F1 car again. Given that they have said the injury is severe, and then taking into account the nature of the injury (diffuse axonal injury), it will probably be a long road to recovery.

20. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Looks like they might be going with the speed limits in double waved yellow zones, with a test planned for Austin. But I'd agree I think it's unlikely we'll see Bianchi behind the wheel of an F1 car again.

But it's another Merc front row lock out today, but Bottas came close to getting on the front row.