Expanding on "Court Martial"

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Laura Cynthia Chambers, Apr 19, 2018.

1. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This may be the heart of the episode's dilemma, the requirements of the series and our expectations of courtroom drama. The show's heroes can't sit passively while the guest star lawyer saves the day. With that in mind, the defense lawyer might have been written as competent and willing, helping the protagonist, but unable to overcome the weight of evidence. Cogley, though, is written as a memorable eccentric character, and is set up as the champion of human values against the dehumanizing machines. In a typical courtroom story, our expectation would be that he will outsmart the other side or come up with some crucial evidence that destroys their case. You think he must have an ace in the hole, because he's not cross examining the witnesses. He also hints at something when he talks to Jamie. But he can't outshine the stars, so after all that set-up, he just rests his case and sits down. Of course that's when Spock comes in with the evidence, and then Cogley gets his speeches about rights and machines. All very righteous, but not really his doing, he's just capitalizing on Spock's fortunate detective work.

2. Steven P Bastien

Steven P Bastien Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3 steps ahead of where I was 2 seconds ago
    Very interesting comments.

For me, the episode does not really hinge on how good or bad Cogley is. No matter what Shaw says to Kirk about needing a good lawyer, the case is hopeless and she knows it. She cares about Kirk and just wants to give him the best chances, since she intends to do her duty.

Cogley blunders badly by not being aware of the video and this leaves Kirk in total disbelief that a video so damning even exists. This is such a rookie mistake that it is clearly a writer's error. It creates a nice dramatic effect, but at the expense of credulity. Everyone knows the defense gets to see all evidence and that is the most damning piece of evidence. If Star Fleet has some strange rule about keeping evidence secret until the trial, then the writer should tell us that. We have to ignore this mistake because it is a script flaw, pure and simple. We forgive it because we love Star Trek and the rest of the episode has real quality in it.

The heart of the episode is about character, not about skill. Kirk shows character by standing his ground. Kirk's crew show character by standing by him. Shaw shows character by doing her duty but also being fair and caring to Kirk. Cogley shows character by believing his client and respecting his wishes, and then fighting like a dog when he is given a glimmer of hope. Jamie shows character by showing forgiveness where forgiveness should be impossible... and so on.

Marsden, ZapBrannigan and J.T.B. like this.
  3. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Good point that that Cogley can't outshine our heroes. I didn't like it when Gary 7 did that. It probably wouldn't have hurt though for Cogley to send Spock to check the computer in a last ditch effort saying something like - if you believe Kirk is innocent you've got to prove the computer is lying. That way both he and Spock would look good.

Yes very well said and we all knew that Kirk didn't do it and the series wasn't going to end here. Through the process of proving his innocence we got to see how loyal Kirk's crew were to him and how easily his captain friends turned on him.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  4. Steven P Bastien

Oh, and how I wanted to see a scene where Kirk gets to confront those two guys at the bar that gave him a hard time. Lol Obviously the writers did not want to be that petty, but I can imagine a scene with the two of them groveling for forgiveness, or at least Kirk punching them both in the nose.

5. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, the pieces were there; how well they were put together is another question.

And speaking of Jamie: I think in the script -- or maybe I'm thinking of the Blish version -- she was supposed to realize from her father's letters that it was possible that he would try to frame Kirk. As it's left in the final cut, the way Cogley seems skeptical of her change of heart, as a kid I always wondered if she knew Finney was alive and didn't let on.

Despite its flaws, I always like the episode. In fact as a youngster it was one of my favorites, because of all the world-building details about the rest of Starfleet, ranks and serial numbers and medals, Kirk's earlier career, the chart of ship numbers etc. I think I gave it a 7 when we were rating episodes a few years ago.

Well he is a captain and they are still lieutenants, that pretty much says it all. No need for him to reach down to their level.

6. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And groveling? The last thing we need is someone bowing down to almighty Kirk. Or Kirk getting into fisticuffs with fellow officers. Maybe a subtler gesture, such as a friendlier Timothy mentioning something about catching up with Kirk again at Starbase 5 or something. Or maybe sharing an old story about Ben with Kirk, never mentioning his earlier words again.

7. Steven P Bastien

Of course that would be better. But, man Kirk was mad enough to spit neutronium when he stormed out of that pub.

8. Steven P Bastien

I did also, but whatever the intent was in previous versions, or even the final version, the acting indicates (to me at least) that she does not know he is alive or is really suspecting that. She comes across as sincerely concerned because she does not believe that Kirk would have deliberately tried to cause him harm, as she accused him of murder previously.

If the intent was that she was protecting her father's secret, she should have seemed more nervous and guilty looking. I think we have to make our own judgement based on her demeanor, although I'm sure some would disagree with my personal opinion of what that demeanor was.

Cogley's response does open the door that she could be hiding something, but I took a different meaning from his response. I interpret his astonishment as further proof to him, that Kirk can't be guilty because even the daughter's opinion is that. It becomes one of the final nails in the coffin for Cogley that somehow the computer log must be wrong. He just needs to figure out how.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  9. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The ship was orbiting in the reverse direction.
    This should have been made available to Cogley via discovery (the prosecution is required to send evidence to the defense prior to trail).

Maybe Cogley needed a computer to view the video, and therefor refuse to look at it?
    Would Kirk also punch Jamie, Shaw and Stone?

That scene make me wonder if Kirk was particularly well liked prior to this episode among his fellow Starfleet officers.

Attributes of the actors that play them appear in the characters they play, Shatner wasn't liked by his coworkers, maybe Kirk isn't either?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  10. Steven P Bastien

Hahaha, yeah and he couldn't even get the email telling him that the information was available.

No, they were acting appropriately for the situation. Although, Kirk did his fair share of punching in other episodes, including a cold-cock to an unsuspecting woman and punching a diseased kid that was defending his tricycle. Of course, they gave him sufficient motivation to do those things. :)

I suppose those two other guys were acting appropriately too, being angry that their friend was dead. But, I'm only joking about the punch, as that would be out of line. Although a scene where they "eat crow", apologize or just feel bad would not be out of line. I don't really expect that kind of thing to be written into an episode, but in my imagination I like to add additional scenes to each episode.

11. Samuel

Samuel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought Cogleys lawyering brilliance was in getting the board to agree to reconvene on the bridge of the Enterprise. Using the argument that Kirk should get to confront his accuser.

Steven P Bastien likes this.
  12. MAGolding

MAGolding Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The ship need to keep applying power to stay up in a number of different episodes. Thus it seems that in some episodes the ship could been using power constantly to hover in a position and would start to fall the instant that power was cut off. The explanation for doing so in one episode probably won't be good for another episode.

Of course the Enterprise went into orbit in just about every episode and never lost power in most of them, so we can't tell if it need constant power in those episodes.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  13. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Does anyone know where a records officer would be assigned on the ship? I'm struggling to understand what's the purpose for a records officer on the Enterprise?

14. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Not recusing yourself when the accused is an old boyfriend of yours, meeting with him outside of court, and giving him inside information on the prosecution's planned case is far from acting appropriately.

Cogley wasn't that great of a lawyer, but Shaw was far worse.

15. Steven P Bastien

LOl, ok but still not something she should be punched for (by Kirk, I mean, for whom she was bending the rules for).

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  16. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Perhaps he oversaw all the yeomen. Ship's library/computer database/personnel department?

STEPhon IT likes this.
  17. Steven P Bastien

Whatever the records officer was, it seems to be in important position as it is 1 of the 3 positions where the most critical computer access is granted. Seems strange to put that guy in a dangerous pod, where the red-shirt is supposed to go.

STEPhon IT likes this.
  18. Laura Cynthia Chambers

I could see the records officer post having part-time duties/duties that he could easily delegate to his second in command while he does something he's done before or was also trained for.

I could also see him switching shifts/duties with the officer who was supposed to be doing that, which would support Finney's plan to get revenge on Kirk.

STEPhon IT likes this.
  19. Steven P Bastien

Except that Kirk assigned him because he was "top of duty roster" and the ion storm came up suddenly. How, did Finney orchestrate such a bold plan so quickly?

20. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Called in some favors? Or heck, just changed the records. He can do that.

Marsden and Steven P Bastien like this.