Exciting! - An "Old man's War" film now in the works!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Hyperspace05, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

This is (IMO) very exciting news... Paramount has purchased the movie rights for John Scalzi's epic Sci-Fi novel "Old Man's War". :bolian:
    Wolfgang Petersen (director), Scott Stuber (producer), and David Self (screenwriter) are attached to the project:
    http://www.deadline.com/2011/02/paramount-buys-old-mans-war-for-wolfgang-petersen-and-scott-stuber/

For those who haven't read the book (you should!), here's a quote about it from the story I linked to:
    I'm a huge fan of this series of books, so I'm certainly looking forward to this. And they better do it justice!

2. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Truth is a Three Edged Sword Premium Member

I heard the news earlier today, however I never read the book. So I downloaded it to my iPad and just read the first two chapters. Not far enough in to give an assessment but I like it enough to continue. Will report back in when finished.

3. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

It's often cited as a new classic. It certainly was a fun read.
    Let's see if this gets off the ground.
    Took Hollywood long enough to find out about it....

4. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I hope they can pull this off.

5. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's a superb book, and it is Hollywood friendly in that the central character is an old man adjusting to being in a young man's body (ie, nice cameo for the old man, plus a handsome youngster for the main plot).
    But... very political, and very much character -led. If those bits get lost in favour of only the space battles, it'll be one of those 'I prefer to remember the book' films.

6. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

Some have explained the book(s) as "Starship Troopers meets Avatar"... And I think it is a pretty good and concise explanation. (It is of course more than that also)

Scalzi is IMO one of the most interesting current SF authors.