Excelsior class in the alternate reality

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by mattman8907, Oct 14, 2021.

1. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

The more I rewatch Star Trek Into Darkness, and I see the Configuration of the Dreadnought class and the USS Vengeance, the more I realized that if Starfleet redesigned it a little bit and took out the weaponry and added some lightining, I feel like it could be the Kelvin Timeline's equivalent of the Excelsior class. what do you guys think?

Admiral Archer and publiusr like this.
  2. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

The dramatic role is the very same: that of the big bully who challenges the Enterprise and falls from on high.

Both ships look the part, with their visual bulk and muscle already, before we consider the dimensions themselves. Both nevertheless could distinguish themselves as hero ships as well, or at least serve plausibly in supporting roles - basically a function of TPTB choosing to make them variants of the basic Enterprise shape, only with some "evil" bits added.

Timo Saloniemi

3. Jayden Dersch

Jayden Dersch Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Did you guys know that they are coming out with a new one in 2023-2024 called Star Trek 4

4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll believe that when I'm in the theater.

5. Jayden Dersch

6. Jayden Dersch

How do you rise in the ranks?

7. fireproof78

Probably started out as such and then Marcus maximised it.

8. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I think the Dreadnought-class was very much its own thing as a skunkworks ship for Section 31. I believe it was built solely as a warship and was never intended to be anything other than that, IMO ("we ain't exploring s:censored:t"). In comparison, the Excelsior-class may have been designed to be the most advanced multi-purpose ship of its time, capable of carrying the full range of Starfleet missions, and that versatility may have been a key for its longevity in the Prime Timeline.

publiusr likes this.
  9. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Patiently.

A member's rank is dictated by their post count, according to the structure described here. Membership in the lounges is also governed by the length of time one has been a member, and functions independently of rank.

I wouldn't spend too much effort on worrying about rank, if I were you. Just find conversations to join and people to talk to, and the ranks go up by themselves more quickly than you might expect.

Richard S. Ta and jackoverfull like this.
  10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's similar only in as much as it's the "bigger, badder, more advanced ship"

Discovery season 2 gave Starfleet Prime an entire fleet of similar big black deathships of which the Vengeance would presumably be the flagship.

11. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When I first saw the Vengeance in the trailer, I said "Oh cool -- they're doing the Kelvinverse Excelsior".

somebuddyX and Enterprise1701 like this.
  12. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought the Vengeance design was a little too brutish and utilitarian to compare to the Excelsior.

Kor

BillJ and Richard S. Ta like this.
  13. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Rewatch? Yikes.

14. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

I actually liked the movie. Yes It has it faults every movie does.

15. fireproof78

Absolutely. One of the few films I rewatch regularly.

Ovation and saddestmoon like this.
  16. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Into Darkness is a big mess of a movie, but I find it very enjoyable and engaging. Especially Cumberbatch's performance. I certainly re-watch this one more than Star Trek: Beyond, which I found rather dull.

Kor

publiusr likes this.
  17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love Into Darkness. Awful "Khaaaaaaaan!" yell aside, it's a fantastic movie. Very few films convey a situation going completely out of fucking control like the last act of that one.

18. fireproof78

Yup. The two or three whole seconds (someone will time me now, no doubt) do not ruin the whole film for me. Rather difficult for two to three seconds to do that in any film. Otherwise I would never watch a lot of movies again.

Richard S. Ta and burningoil like this.
  19. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would have far rather seen Spock issue a whispered, but dripping with menace, "Khan". Simply as a counterpoint to Shatner's scream.

20. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Excelsior was dubbed "the Great Explorer" meaning it was a new generational vessel. As we know, UFP vessels would journey out into space for five EARTH years because of the strenuous tasks a vessel endured, and with "The Great Explorer it would go farther away from what the normal vessels could've done which would extend longer tours of duties out into deep space, also there was a new space warp which fold the dynamics of the space time continuum, Trans Warp, where the possibilities were unprecedented.* As much as the Vengeance did resemble the Excelsior and it did have the JJ-verse version of Trans Warp, I was a bit confused at the evolution of star vessels enveloping that world so quickly. The Enterprise was that series' generational vessel... it's state of the art.

*Something I always thought TNG warp speed transitioned to; in the 24th century it was no longer called "Trans Warp Drive" but reconstituted as Warp drive. This would explain why the sfx appeared differently from TOS movies to TNG era.

Dukhat, publiusr and KamenRiderBlade like this.