Ethan Peck cast as DSC's Spock

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Lawrence B, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I wouldn't say pseudonymously crediting an actor is the same thing as giving out false information. It's not like they called attention to it or actively spread a rumor. It was something people had to go looking for in the credits. It was more like passive camouflage than active deception.

On the other hand, there have been cases in other Trek productions where people have actively stated falsehoods to conceal a spoiler. I remember Alice Eve being asked in an interview whether Cumberbatch's "John Harrison" was Khan, and she blurted out "He's not Khan" immediately and emphatically. I think Simon Pegg issued similar denials.

2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

No. He looks fine without it

[​IMG]

JKM and fireproof78 like this.
  3. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Although not played by Ethan Peck, young Spock's portrayal of using holographic dragons to chase out unwanted visitors may very well inform Peck's performance. Strangely enough, I actually find myself warming to that scene--imagine, if they had the budget, that Spock used a holographic monster to chase out Nurse Chapel in 'Amok Time', instead of him throwing plomeek soup at her.

4. Kane_Steel

Kane_Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Facially, he looks exactly like the guy from the Halloween picture;
    [​IMG]

Willing to bet his Spock, no matter how good or bad his acting is, will be very Divisive... just because he looks so drastically different to Nimoy.

5. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Commodore Commodore

there's even less resemblance than between the Red Angels and the STO Iconians, but whatever

6. LizStargaryen

LizStargaryen Lieutenant Red Shirt

Weird that some fans need post-Nimoy Spocks to look just like him... 12 years after Nimoy emphatically gave Quinto his blessing.

(What Nimoy didn't seem to want: the character to die with him. Strangely, not all of his fans seem to agree.)

JoeP, Ovation and Nerys Myk like this.
  7. Yistaan

I would have been fine with Star Trek Beyond mentioning that Ambassador Spock discovered a way to return to his own timeline, with the Vulcan elders passing on farewell gifts to Kelvin Timeline Spock.

It's a fitting sendoff that gives a happy ending to a character who endured for half a century, and puts off any explanation as to whether the character died with the actor. If they just HAD to address it, it could have been saved for a Prime timeline work (i.e. the Picard show would have had Picard say that he was there when Ambassador Spock peacefully passed away).

Ronald Held and LizStargaryen like this.
  8. Kane_Steel

Quinto had a great resemblance to Nimoy. Quinto is so weird looking.

Nimoy was a weird-looking man. Long face, long nose. Devilish features. Very appropriate casting for an alien. Definitely unconventional in his attractiveness, which is what made scenes like this so funny;

His look as Spock is damn iconic in American pop culture.

9. Tuskin38

I think you need glasses, they look nothing alike.

10. Kane_Steel

The features are similar enough. And completely no resemblance to Nimoy. Ending up with an awkward-looking Speck.

If Speck ever shaves the beard off, the fan reaction will be interesting to see.

11. Tuskin38

No, they're not. They're nothing a like.

God, just call him Spock

12. Kane_Steel

13. Tuskin38

Why are you acting so immature?

I'm going to stop responding to you on this topic.

ozzfloyd likes this.
  14. Yistaan

I don't think Leonard Nimoy would approve calling an actor who's taking on his role the nickname "Speck".

15. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Commodore Commodore

Spimoy wouldn't, I'm not so sure about Spinto

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

You have an odd definition of "weird". Without the ears and eyebrows Nimoy is not very "devilsh".

JoeP likes this.
  17. LizStargaryen

LizStargaryen Lieutenant Red Shirt

Glad you posted that DS9 scene, because Dax speaks for millions of us. "Weird" and "funny" are subjective, because there are plenty of us (women who like men, gay guys, sentient aliens) who really, really...

...appreciate
    long faces and noses.

So is Christopher Reeve's Superman. He was iconic in American pop culture too. But I loved Dean Cain, Brandon Routh (bad script, but he was good), and Henry Cavill in the role. Appreciating Tyler Hoechlin's take on him on DC TV as well.

The 11 Actors Who've Played Superman

Sure, Nimoy's performance and embodiment of Spock of Vulcan created the character. But an iconic role is more than the actor who fills the suit... or the shoes... or the ears. If we're truly fans of the character, we should want Spock to live on, not preserved in amber like some dragonfly from the Triassic.

JoeP likes this.
  18. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Awww, leave Sane K'teel alone,
    It's his prerogative to be curmudgeonly Vulcan-like when trying to get a rise out of others.
    :biggrin:

19. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nope.
    Precisely so. The fact that individuals want Spock to be buried with Nimoy is tragic, to say the least.
    [​IMG]

JoeP likes this.
  20. Tuskin38

According to TrekCore, the first publicity image they were given of Spock was labelled '207', so Episode 7 might be the first time we see him outside of flash backs.