Episodes you love until.....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Grant, May 2, 2020.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

While I’m not exactly Discovery’s number one fan, I thought Rainn Wilson did a nice job with the character.

2. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Also, Roger C. Carmel died over thirty years ago, so....

(Rest in peace.)

3. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

There is no Trek reality.

Therefore, no "other reality."

Recasting is part of producing ongoing drama. You can have a franchise that lasts a few years with one cast or one that goes on forever with new performers. Some will prefer one or the other, but it's not possible to have both.

JonnyQuest037 and Qonundrum like this.
  4. MAGolding

MAGolding Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So having Roger C. Carmel portray Mudd in Discovery would certainly be an interesting casting choice, though his performance might be rated as lifeless.

5. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Laurence Olivier was cast in Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow long after his death. And he took the job.

publiusr and JonnyQuest037 like this.
  6. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

He did. And that was, far and away, the only episode of DISC's S1 that actually felt like Star Trek.

7. Methuselah Flint

Methuselah Flint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Whilst I personally like Gideon a lot, I guess you could argue all is intriguing until the point you realise the logic of the plot and the empty ship does not make sense. Certainly, Kirk's first few moments pre and post-teaser are full of mystery.

Qonundrum and Grant like this.
  8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

It should never have been possible to make Kirk think he was actually on the Enterprise albeit deserted. Even if they duplicated the ship in layout there would have been countless little telltale signs to tell whether it was the actual ship. How could they possibly duplicate the crew’s personal possessions or distinctive signs of wear on bulkheads, decks and equipment?

Methuselah Flint and Grant like this.
  9. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

I mean the second he sat down in the chair if he did I don't remember if he sat in the captain's chair in that episode but if he did he would have known it's not the same chair. Same thing with his bed or the sounds of the ship or the way the doors on the turbolift sounded when they opened and shut our minds know all of these details down to the millimeter and the decibel. Absolute rubbish that they can build a ship that would fool him for more than a minute even if they had the plans.
    What they needed for the plot to make any kind of sense was the fact that he was drugged or doped or in some kind of delusion that they were forcing onto his head. But yes momentarily at the beginning when he's first there not a bad start to a mystery

Warped9 and Methuselah Flint like this.
  10. Methuselah Flint

Methuselah Flint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed. He suffered a memory lapse. Perhaps he had concussion or was drugged? Obviously nothing on screen suggests this, so we can only go on what we have, but nonetheless there's plenty to theorise surrounding the episode.

11. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

The first guy who played Romeo is the only guy who should ever play him!

12. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To be honest why did they have to resurrect the character in the first place? The idea of Mudd and Klingons doesn't sort of gell! :wtf:
    JB

ZapBrannigan likes this.
  13. MAGolding

MAGolding Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If I remember correctly in those days there weren't any female actors in England. So female roles would have been played by boys. So should the first boy who played Juliet be the only person to ever play her?

dinnae ken and Methuselah Flint like this.
  14. Tribble Threat

Tribble Threat Commander Red Shirt

Yes, and he should have kept playing her until he was 90 years old!

15. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Basically, it's the reverse of this thread: the episode premise stinks, until the point where they do tell the audience that yes, Kirk is drugged, and indeed in the throes of a fatal disease. Whatever authoritative analysis we got out of him was but the feverish rantings of a debilitated victim of an illness, seen through his own, sadly uncritical eyes.

Although of course the episode premise stinking is an artifact of the 20th century. By the early 21st, we should be wondering how the Gideonites could ever get even the slightest detail wrong, when imaging methods ITRW are already close to perfection and should be expected to be yet improved in the next two hundred years. Any visitor to the ship could have been carrying the necessary imager, and would have gotten the complete tour of the ship just like all the other visitors Kirk welcomed.

Timo Saloniemi

16. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Let's see:

Miri: LOVED it for the first act, but once we get into the "nyah nyah bonk bonk" stuff, I'm out.
    Dagger of the Mind: Holy Christmas, what a great episode....until we get downstairs. Helen Noel is totally unprofessional and Dr. Adams is badly miscast.
    The Omega Glory: I can't tell you how much I love this episode until the mystery is revealed to be a non-event. Before even the flag shows up, the "they live centuries because it's natural" makes Tracey an idiot instead of just a fanatic.
    The Enterprise Incident: Great stuff but when Spock and the Romulan Commander play footsies, the episode just crawls.

Since we're brining STTMP into it's a solid film until they reach the cloud. Then it dies. But, to its credit, the moment Ilia comes back as a probe, I get really interested again, because there's plot movement.

17. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Regarding the casting, obviously they had to recast and Mudd is no more iconic than Spock, Pike and Number One, who were all recast - and quite well - afterwards. Heck, the entire original cast was recast for films, so complaining about the idea that Mudd was recast is your priviledge but it's not that awful. What I objected to was the way he was written. The Mudd we knew was at best a charming rouge and at worst a drug peddling criminal. But DSC's Mudd was a true bastard with no objections to having Lorca killed. The original Mudd was "a man you love to hate." This Mudd...I just f'n hated him.

johnnybear and ZapBrannigan like this.
  18. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's it exactly. Too dark, too mean, and we don't feel a wisp of empathy for him. But going super-dark is today's shortcut to "good."

plynch and Warped9 like this.
  19. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My point really was why bring the character back? Just to invigorate the fans of the original series to like their new show? What else could it be? His second episode was just a nod to I, Mudd with his Stella appearing at the end! :crazy:
    JB

20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I generally stay out of the discussions regarding DSC and the forthcoming SNW because there is simply too much different from what came before. Continuity means shit to them and I cannot accept this as the prime timeline--it's just not. Sure it could be enjoyed on its own, but I just don't give a damn.

Call me narrow minded, but seeing what they're doing to the Trek I knew is just too damned much. Hell, they couldn't even get the Enterprise right. The last I saw the real 1701 she was berthed in the Smithsonian.