Entertainment Weekly interviews Abrams, Quinto, Nimoy

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Admiral Buzzkill, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Tralah

Tralah Wasting Time Until May 2009 Fleet Captain

:guffaw: I loved this part too! I wonder if Quinto is left-handed and Nimoy is right-handed. I can do the Vulcan salute with my right hand really well, and I'm right-handed. I can sort of manage it with my left hand but it's not as good and it's harder for me to keep it in shape long. I do think almost anyone can learn how to do it if they are persistent enough to practice with the necessary muscles. I couldn't do it with either hand at first when I became a Star Trek fan, but I practiced and gradually mastered it with my right. Yes, yes, I'm loser. ;)

2. Balthier the Great

Balthier the Great Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

you had to master it? I can do it pretty naturally with either hand. I always figured anybody could.

of course, I can wiggle my ears, and nose and roll my tongue. Maybe I'm double jointed er something.

3. RookieBatman

RookieBatman Commodore Commodore

I remember when I was in maybe third grade, putting a carrot in between my second and third fingers to stretch them out. Now I can do it with both hands effortlessly (not sure if that was actually why, or if normal growth just gave them the needed dexterity).

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

When I was thirteen I looked into the mirror and discovered that I could raise one eyebrow. I was very pleased. :lol:

5. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Was this intended to be ironic? :lol:

6. Tralah

Tralah Wasting Time Until May 2009 Fleet Captain

Yep, you must be! My fingers did not want to part in the middle. I was 14 or 15 when I became a Star Trek fan and I had to practice with those muscles to be able to do the Vulcan salute.

7. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can do the Vulcan salute with both hands, no problem. Y'all must have some genetic defects. :p

Of course, I can only wink with one eye, and even though I'm right-handed, I can only shoot pool left-handed. :(

8. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm right handed and it's the reverse for me. But I can do it with my left hand, just not as easily. I have to concentrate to get my fingers to cooperate. :p

9. Lumen

Lumen Vice Admiral Admiral

I can do the "Vulcan salute" effortlessly with either hand.

:lol: Oh, that's great.

And some encouraging words from JJ:
    That's exactly what I want to hear. :thumbsup:

10. RookieBatman

RookieBatman Commodore Commodore

I can wink with both eyes, but I can only raise my left eyebrow (I'm also right-handed).

11. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

I can only do the Vulcan salute with my left hand, too. I can't raise only one eyebrow, though :(

12. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

Dang, you all sicken me! :lol:

I can salute, wink, nod, raise eyebrows and do anything else menttioned here with no effort. Y'all need to loosen up! :p

...I any case, it seems that everything is going pretty well at camp Abrams...looking forward to story/casting details.

13. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

I can do the Vulcan salute with either hand and do it with four fingers crossed (middle over index, ring over pinkie).

14. the_wildcard

the_wildcard Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmmm good to see Quinto is doing so much research. He knows Trek fans will pay attention to all details, lol.

15. Just_Bob

Just_Bob Commander Red Shirt

I enjoyed this thread up to this point. Sheesh.

Dennis, thank you for posting the EW interview link. It is "all good."

16. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm one of those. No matter how much i've practiced it I cannot do the Vulcan salute for the life of me.

17. Crazy_Uncle

Crazy_Uncle Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

After reading that article I am more at ease than ever that this movie will turn out really good. I like that JJ has a story to tell and that he knows that he can't please everyone. I also like that Zach seems to have a lot of respect for Nimoy and is really interested in learning more about the character from actor that originated him.

Not to go off topic but is there anything in trek mythology that says that doing the vulcan salute left handed is insulting? I consider myself quite versed and can't seem to come up with anything.

Oh and I can do the salute with both hands but trying to raise either of my eyebrows is like trying to make a pot of water boil by just thinking about it. It just makes my head hurt.

18. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't do the eyebrow thing either. Wiggle nose, yes. Ears, no.

I like how this thread has degenerated into "Which Body Parts Can You Wiggle?" :lol:

TELL US WHO KIRK IS ALREADY! We're goin' crazy here...again...

19. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

I can do the eyebrows and the salute. I only wiggle my privates in public, in front of old ladies and small children

20. KeepOnTrekking

KeepOnTrekking Commodore Commodore

Personally, I haven't heard anything about being left-handed as insulting. I do remember a cartoon in Starlog some 20 years ago where the first pic had a Vulcan saluting 2 humans and saying "Live Long and Prosper." The second pic had him doing the same salute except with his whole hand was turned upside down so that the fingertips were pointing down. He flashed this greeting at some Klingons and said "Die immediately and decay." For some reason, it still sticks in my head to this day.

Chalk me up as another one that can do the hand salute with both hands and arch either eyebrow up on cue. I must have had WAAAAAAAY too much time on my hands as a kid! :vulcan:

Carol Pruitt likes this.