Enterprise in Discovery; cool or too much?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Mage, Aug 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrekE

TrekE Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

This is a new tv series. If the creators can't make it interesting enough to stand on its own, they shouldn't be making it. No to the Enterprise. No to cameos from young versions of Enterprise personnel. No to overlapping story lines. It's a big Galaxy. We need to see new parts of it.

ichab and Hoshi3 like this.
  2. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Pike should be Command. The UPF is large in volume so a random meeting of Enterprise and Discovery seems unlikely.

3. Kevin Wolff

Kevin Wolff Captain Captain

First might be the "mention" this season. Then the redesigned pre-refit in the 2nd season perhaps. Then later......Pike. Think about how if you can get Spock off the ship (I know he wasn't with Pike the whole time, but he was 10 years prior) and not have deal with the big 3 TOS icons, you could tell a bunch of stories from Pike's mission. Isn't it more of the same? No. Pike is Picard more than he is Kirk. Number One, the ultimate feminist and a human computer without having to be heavy handed about AI. And the doctor could be the alcoholic for a change instead of the engineer. All joking aside, you have the makings of a completely new show with nothing really in common with Kirk's era other than the ship's shape. I believe not only could Pike and co. be potential guest stars on DSC, but could be the next series. Bring Spock in mid-series after recasting yet again (which is becoming commonplace in all genre) is seen as acceptable

4. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Not if the Discovery is leaving a starbase just as the Enterprise is arriving.

5. Long Syntax

Long Syntax Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wouldn't mind seeing the NX-01 as a museum in an episode of DIS (yeah, I went there:techman:)

Relayer1 and Ovation like this.
  6. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

We could finally see Robert April outside of TAS.

7. Delaware123

Delaware123 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It might be cool to see Robert April in command.

8. Cranston

Cranston Commander Red Shirt

I'd have been happy to see a Constitution-class ship (or two) at the Battle of the Binaries, unnamed but there. As far as the Enterprise, given Burnham's connection to Spock, they can't really bring the E in unless they deal with that relationship and bring in Spock as a character. Which could be interesting, and would be a justifiable way to bring them into the story, but I'm not eager to rush into it. If the show becomes really successful and goes several seasons, a Spock/Burhnam story might be interesting. But this early, it would be too much.

9. Cranston

IMO, a much more fun ship to see would be the Farragut under Capt. Garrovick. It would make me smile, but without all of the Pike/Spock/Enterprise fan service baggage. (And don't mention Lt. Kirk, even though we'd know he was probably on board).

10. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Now that Burnham has mentioned the Constitutions and specifically the Enterprise as having special significance (in being a good career move), there is added justification to actually showing one.

We don't know why Burnham thinks the class or the individual ship is significant - perhaps she's just picking a random class from a broader appropriate category (like she picks a random ship from the class) solely because her brotheroid serves aboard one. But the significance is there now, and therefore

1) at least a storyline featuring "career moves" would be within its rights to show a Constitution, perhaps even Pike's ship,
    2) since Spock does exist in this "timeline" (the writers seem dedicated to maintaining a single reality consistent with everything else here), a family visit would make sense, and
    3) the so far cryptic objective significance of the Constitutions could also bring them to storytelling forefront.

I don't know if we're better or worse off thanks to all this, but at least we're off.

Timo Saloniemi

11. MrPointy

MrPointy Captain Captain

I'd like to see the Connie Defiant in Discovery.

12. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

Show it from the outside only, the 1964 Cage version, with the round nacelles. Assume that the displays and controls and gizmos inside look like those on Discovery, and that Pike and crew are wearing the blue uniforms.

13. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

In the novel tie-in remains in effect, the Constitutions are just like they were in 1964/2254. Pike and his crew have special duty uniforms for their special place in the fleet. The ships look odd to some people because humans are weird about style and changing it so often.

Ships are crazy powerful compared to most other starships. USS Defiant showed this off for once in the Mirror Universe of the 22nd century, but it seems this class is still crazy powerful even in her own time period and universe. These are the kind of starship you both want and don't want on the front lines. You want them because they will outclass almost everything they encounter, but you don't, just in case the Klingons disable one....you don't want that technology to fall into their hands.

Considering the Enterprise, despite being an old ship by the middle of Kirk's Five Year Mission, was still considered one of the best ships in the fleet by the Romulans, and while the Klingons insult her, know its not an easy ship to defeat in a fair fight. And that command or even assignment on such a ship is an honor and/or privilege....even if the turnover rate for Redshirts is kind of high.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd like them to show a totally different ship, but say it's the Connie Defiant.

And then everyone still keeps saying it's the same universe as TOS.

15. Brainsucker

Brainsucker Captain Captain

Wait, there was a Constitution Class Starship in the battle of Binary? Which is it?

16. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

That would work. We never actually saw the Farragut, so there's no reason to believe she was even a Constitution, let alone looked exactly like the Enterprise.

It would give the producers a chance to have their cake an eat it - show us a subtly revamped Connie to tie in better with the Discovery look, but don't contradict that the Enterprise still looks like she always did.

Jesse1066 and Cranston like this.
  17. Cranston

No, there wasn't -- I was saying that it would have been the perfect opportunity to put a Constitution Class ship in without ladling on the fan service too heavily.

18. Rich

Rich Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'd be down for seeing the Enterprise under Christopher Pike. Just depends on how far they go with it all.

Hell the ship has already been name dropped along with the Constitution class.

Feron likes this.
  19. ScottJ85

ScottJ85 Captain Captain

I think the occasional reference to the Enterprise is fine, maybe showing a Constitution-class from time to time, but actually including an appearance of the Enterprise would be too much.

20. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pike is Captain of the Enterprise at this time, not April.

Maybe she mentioned it because her brother was on board, not because it had special significance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.