Enterprise D Virtual Tour

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Candlelight, Sep 22, 2015.

1. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually I was thinking it was the soundtrack music that triggered it, although I'd prefer silence to that god awful Galaxy Quest theme. YouTube's IP control is on full these days.

Really hoping this project continues. I wanna support this guy. Come on, having all 42 decks to roam has gotta be worth flipping a few bones his way.

I ripped the vid in full HD before it was taken down and WOW!! Does it ever look awesome on a big screen TV. Gave me the chills. It'll be a cold day on Vulcan that CBS Interactive Inc gives us anything 1% this awesome.

2. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

What "Galaxy Quest" music? There's no score from GQ in there. The asteriod field sequence has sound design, the approach and landing in the shuttle bay is the opening credits from "Star Trek: First Contact" and the closing scenes and credits music is the closing scene and end credits music from "Star Trek: Generations".

3. firstresident

firstresident Ensign Red Shirt

Once again, copyright claims keep the fans from seeing wonderful work that took the artist many hours to complete. How can this keep happening?

4. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

#thanksObama

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

IP owners have a duty to protect their intellectual property. If they don't make these kinds of claims, no matter how petty, it makes it harder for them to do it in the future; perhaps under a more legitimate complaint. If they don't do what they can to protect their copyrights they risk what they don't protect falling into the public domain.

It's possible for them to give permission to a project like this without any money exchanging hands, just so long as IP-owner is aware and has given permission to use the property.

It's easy to want to blame a copyright holder in cases like this; but it must be remembered that these people OWN and control these properties and want to keep it that way. If just anyone can do what they want with others' work then that sort of makes the original owner's efforts more trivial, less likely to succeed and unprofitable. If something is unprofitable what's the point in doing it? Then you're left with no one producing anything because there's nothing to be gained from it.

They have a duty to protect their IP, that's all they're doing. Protecting it so they can retain it. I suspect something will be worked out and a happy middle-ground will be reached. Even if it means the person creating this cannot use the sounds/voices from the show and has to use generic ones.

6. ALF

Of course there wasn't. I was referring to the fan series that used the Galaxy Quest theme as its opening, Hidden Frontier. The choice was both confounding and irritating, to me anyway. They are still on YouTube, although now it seems the theme is different (maybe I can watch it now!)

The appeal process. It's not something most people want to wander into casually. I've had a couple fan mashups taken down - not something I care to fill out paperwork and fight for.

7. tharpdevenport

Nicely put. Though I'm not sure how much can be worked out here. If sound effects, like the ship's hum, are copyrighted, they can probably work that out with Paramount (and/or CBS). They'll probably -- to have official permission, -- have permission from CBS to use the name "Star Trek", but the voices excerpts and music will likely have to go; you probably have to deal with some group like SAG for the use -- even if free -- of the recorded voices. And I don't think the AFM is going to let the music be used for free.

8. Karzak

Karzak Commodore Commodore

I doubt it was the sound effects that triggered this. There are plenty of videos on YouTube that utilize the same sounds and they haven't been torn down.

More than likely this was a combination of the result of the widespread attention the video got in the last two weeks online and YouTube's overzealous reporting/takedown system, which has frequently been known to remove videos and disable accounts -- like Star Trek Continues' last offering, "The White Iris" a few weeks ago and even accounts of normal people like our very own J.Allen.

There is often no rhyme or reason to it and YouTube is like the Charter Internet of video hosting services -- you'll never get a decent answer out of them because they never respond.

Hopefully the video is uploaded elsewhere, or we'll all just have to hope and pray billcosby might be willing to share his copy with us.

9. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

As a designer and a BIG fan of the D, I'm thrilled to see this and hope it can be completed. Wonder what Mr. Probert thinks about it? He used to post on this board occasionally.
    I'm not bothered about all the leisure space we see. Half the ships compliment are civilians and family and the regular crew needs off-duty activity space as well. I think the real challenge will be how to model the science labs and experiment areas. I mean, what will 24th century scientific equipment even look like?
    Even though they couldn't show it in the '80s, one would assume shuttles come and go to the Enterprise all the time. As a "college town in space", the results of experiments, various scientific findings and discovered artifacts, as well as all kinds of personnel, must be moving to and from the ship almost every time she stops in a system to explore. The main shuttle bay in the render looks appropriate for all this.

10. tharpdevenport

It's all about the copyright protection identification software they use. Sometimes they get you within a minute of uploading something, some times it takes years before they find you, but eventually they do, even if you use ten seconds of music. Every video will eventually get found. Until they perfect the detection program, there will always be a crop up and a crop down; just because one stands while one goes down, means nothing.

And then you have studios that have people who actively hunt for violations and actively report to Youtube. Enough copyright claims against a channel, and the channel goes the way of the dodo or Erik Estrada's career.

Youtube doesn't have to explain itself, like it or not, it is the other way around: users agreed to the terms of use and the TOU specify what you can and cannot upload. I personally think some studios should give some leadway: don't worry about taking down that 15 second clip from "Family Guy" -- enjoy the free promotion; don't worry about taking down that TV series or TV movie that has never been released and can't even be rented -- consider if building an audience for a forgotten show you may release some day.

11. Karzak

Karzak Commodore Commodore

I'm not disputing that. I simply cited other, concrete and established examples of times when videos and accounts were suspended and the likely reasoning behind those instances. It's much more likely that this is what happened here.

12. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

13. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well that seems to be a sad ending to a potentially glorious project

14. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Who wants to bet this is being spotted as a wonderful opportunity for TNG fans everywhere and it'll be back up and running before you know it?

No, me either.

15. Sybok Was Wrong

Sybok Was Wrong Commander Red Shirt

There's a photo gallery online of the Pacific Princess ship interiors from "The Love Boat" before the liner was scrapped.

That picture gallery gave me the same feeling as the Enterprise D video. It looked "wrong", dated and tacky.

I take issue with the stairs because that's plain wrong. However it was overall a good attempt by the artist and I hope they build on this work!

16. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Why?

17. ALF

Yes, the stairs are in the Sternbach blueprints, not canon but considered, 'official.' There will always be a need for stairs as occasionally the lifts go offline. Nothing wrong about it whatsoever. Everything right about it. I cheered when I saw the stairs. I said, "yes! at last a chance to see every micron of this ship." I'm still angry at Simon and Schuster (sp?) for the misleading marketing of their Enterprise D "virtual tour." :lol: Sybok may have been wrong, but Sternbach was on the nose.

I thought the artist did a brilliant job of extrapolating not only Federation style and design but considering also a Hollywood tv series produced in the 1980s, warts and all.

I had some thoughts about why the video was taken down... indeed fan films, mashups and other projects use Trek's IP willy-nilly and for the most part those projects fly under the radar. Perhaps it was the asking of money to continue the work that triggered the C&D (we're assuming it was a C&D) from CBS/Paramout/Viacom/Whomever.

Maybe the project should be taken 'underground.' This work must be completed.

18. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can't see that being an issue. Look at all of the crowd funding that projects like Phase 2, Continues, Renegades and Anaxar are doing. How many hundreds of thousands of dollars have they raised off of the Star Trek IP so far?

I think it's more likely the case that CBS has already licensed out the rights to projects like this (such as On Board the U.S.S. Enterprise, from just 2 years ago) and they don't want to risk losing the paying licensee(s). The difference being that CBS is not actively working on any TV shows, but they do currently have vendors paying for the rights to produce games.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  19. ALF

Hmmm. Maybe you're right, trekker670. Infringing on a current project does seem more likely - and as I recall, a number of radically awesome ENT D projects have been shelved in the past couple of years.

20. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

Ughhhhhhhhhh! 1.2 bazillion TOS fan films are being made and something as awesome as this is "infringing" on something else?

Okay, then I expect to see whatever project that this is infringing on to (1) actually come out, and (2) be close enough in concept to this to warrant a C&D.

This is beyond frustrating.