ENTERPRISE BRIDGE SET?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Galileo7, Apr 13, 2019.

?

Do you like or dislike the ENTERPRISE BRIDGE SET?

1. like it

182 vote(s)
    94.8%
  2. dislike it

10 vote(s)
    5.2%
  1. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not what I wanted. I have Said repeatedly what I would have preferred as a proper realistic update since discovery started. Look at what Enterprise did with the sets. They gave them updates in texture and function. I'm not saying do it exactly like that show did but a bit further even. But what Discovery has done is a total departure. It's much larger and the layout (despite what so many here are saying) is not the same.

I find is odd that there is so much acceptance of this shows aesthetics and story revisions....but when Enterprise came out fans did not accept it and nitpicked the sets and minor canon violations to death. That show got it more right compared to discovery. It respected what came before.

As a reboot Discovery would be perfectly fine. I'm hoping that eventually this is where they ultimately go. Because it seems that Paramount cannot move the franchise forward. So I am fully expected a new series with Kirk and Crew within the next 5 years. Lol

2. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

They made "virtually exact versions" of most of the sets except for the most minor of details.

That is exactly what they did, nothing else. And I enjoyed that, too.

3. Dar70

There were indeed changes. Again I would not want them to go exactly that route. But a good starting point would have been to get the dimensions and layout close to correct.

4. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Enough said. Enterprise re-created the TOS bridge verbatim, save for replacing the static "space" images with displays. But otherwise, it was a carbon copy. So indeed, you wanted precisely what you said you didn't.

5. Serveaux

Only the most minor. The bridge railings were curved and a few displays were animated. Gosh, amazing updating!

You keep contradicting yourself.

nope.png

They paid remarkable attention to detail in recreating the layout and angles of the TOS set. No one else, other than the folks faithfully recreating the original a couple of times for modern Trek shows like TNG, DS9 and Enterprise, has come as close - or, really, cared to.

Oh, wait, there's a second turbolift now?

upload_2019-4-17_23-12-34.png

6. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They made two other tiny changes. The railing is curved instead of segmented and the buttons have labels (that are invisible on screen).

7. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

Roomy. I think my entire house will fit on the bridge. Aside for this minor size issue, I liked it.

Longinus likes this.
  8. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    I hate to bring it up, but with the Enterprise being obviously upgraded in size, why would anybody believe that the bridge wouldn't also be enlarged?

9. WarpFactorZ

Someone posted this image earlier:

[​IMG]

The console clearly ends and is not continuous to the view screen. There was another picture from later in TOS that shows this. I submit this as canon evidence that the second turbolift was always there, but never seen.

Has there ever been footage of a from the left of Spock's station all the way to the viewscreen? If not, it never happened!

Noah_23 and Pindar like this.
  10. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think there were some labels in TOS as well. I'm probably wrong.

11. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It wouldn't surprise me if there were some labels.

12. Dar70

Apparently you didn't read my post above this one.....and there were more updates besides the static displays...

13. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/the-ceiling-of-kirk-s-bridge-transparent.213823/
    There are pictures in this thread that support a continuous console layout.
    The removal of the console
    next to Spock‘s, was clearly done for camera placement.
    It‘s a trick used all the time in movies and tv to show a cutaway view of walls and doors.

However, as we can all agree that they didn‘t set out to recreate a 100% identical version, that is not a problem.
    The goal was to get as close as possible to the original within the design language of modern tv and Discovery, obviously.
    And the job they did was tremendous.

14. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe one day we’ll get the proper one.

15. Shamrock Holmes

Shamrock Holmes Commodore Commodore

IMO, what they were actually trying to create was a (minimally) TOS-ified version of the movie bridges (which had the benefit of being built once the concept of modern computers had been realised, rather than purely redoing the TOS bridge.

Definately my favourite bridge of the DSC era, maybe top three, certainly top five Starfleet bridges overall.

16. starbuck

starbuck Captain Captain

What would you do with hd tv and 4k screen that show up detail, would you have the 60s bridge not touched for modern tv

17. WarpFactorZ

I know the real world reason the console is moved. I'm just saying that in universe, it looks like the console is split, and therefore a turbolift must be there. In fact, the TOS Enterprise bridge is the only one to have one turbolift. The rest -- TAS, TMP-TUC, DSC -- have two. Either the bridge lost some important consoles in the refit, or we have to believe the TOS bridge always had two.

18. Serveaux

I believe TAS put a second exit in a section of wall to the port side of the main viewer, where there had previously been a half-wide station:

beyondthefartheststar_356[1].jpg

The refit bridge was larger in circumference, and each station occupied 30 degrees rather than the 36 of TOS. So there was room there for another turbolift.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    TrickyDickie and Galileo7 like this.
  19. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    [​IMG]

I think (but not sure) this if from Norman's POV when he first enters the bridge in "I, Mudd".

Henoch, Galileo7 and seigezunt like this.
  20. Serveaux

There are two full stations and a half-station forward of the Science station on the starboard side of the TOS bridge.

STD puts the second turbolift where Jefferies' drawings indicated the "Navigation Computer" station to be:

Enterprise-bridge-floor-plan[1].jpg

Galileo7, Csalem and Jadeb like this.