Spoilers ENT: Rise of the Federation: Uncertain Logic by C. L. Bennett Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Mar 14, 2015.

?

Rate Uncertain Logic.

1. Outstanding

27 vote(s)
    40.9%
  2. Above Average

30 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. Average

6 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. Below Average

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  5. Poor

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I do recall Christopher once mentioning perhaps some day trying to come up with a title that spelled out ROTF:LMAO when someone around here pointed that out to him. That'd be neat if he did it.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ That doesn't count as a story idea, does it? Because if it does, he may not be able to.

3. Idran

Idran Commodore Premium Member

That's as much a story idea as Therin of Andor's many times over being a namesake.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

5. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Moderator

Therin is very proud of his name having appeared in the novels. :)

So Idran's response is that a meaning for ROTF:LMAO is not a story idea :techman:

(Giving a reason for the book to be called ROTF:LMAO would be, however, so nobody try it!)

6. Idran

Yeah, what trampledamage said; I meant if one namesake isn't a story idea, another wouldn't be either :p

7. ryan123450

ryan123450 Commodore Commodore

Just finished this the other day, after having waited several months to get around to it. I really love the vast cast of characters in this series that gives it a more sweeping, "galaxy" wide quality than it could otherwise have had. In general it's great that the Enterprise cree has all gone in different directions, unlike TOS who stayed together far too long to be realistic. I look forward to the next book, and I'm glad this series is in the hands of someone who loves the show and really gets what is is and should have been.

Late reply, I know, but I wanted to say that yes, several of us on the board put alot of effort into that discussion, and I think my interpretation of the resulting timeline is extremely accurate to the info we've gleaned from the Litverse. But there are several irreconcilable aspects to the data, and some things just left up to interpretation, so my end product timeline contains some of my own preferences mixed in with the "facts."

One of those irreconcilables relates to the placement of "Journey to Babel", so I will have to revisit that discussion now that another piece of data has been given to us. Although based on the problem you point out in what I have quoted below, there may be no way to unreservedly accept Sarak's new birthdate at any rate.

8. ryan123450

Christopher, did you establish (or has anyone established) how long a Vulcan pregnancy lasts?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Roddenberry's Inside Star Trek album from the '70s includes a somewhat squirm-inducing segment in which he interviews Ambassador Sarek (Mark Lenard in character) about the specifics of Spock's conception and birth -- strictly out of scientific interest, of course. According to that segment, a normal Vulcan pregnancy is 13 months. I couldn't find any other reference to conflict with that, so I went with that figure and alluded to it in Tower of Babel, in which we first encounter the pregnant T'Rama.

10. ryan123450

Also Christopher, going back to the Sarek birthdate discussion, what do you make of the fact that Sarek is already 202 in "Sarek" set in December 2366?

I had considered that perhaps Vulcans counted their age from the date of their conception. Going by 13 months before his birthday, he would be 202 in December 2366. But his age in Journey to Babel would end up setting that episode in October 2266. That would be considerably too early by anyone's reckoning. So I discounted the "date of conception" theory.

Basically the two times in canon that his age is given aren't really reconcilable under the commonly understood timing of TOS.

11. Christopher

Easy. Picard misspoke.

12. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

Why have S&S changed the format of Trek paperback books? It's no longer the mass market format. It's that long tall (not nice to hold) format. This is a very good reason to read eBooks.

But anyway, I do have to say this was an excellent read. I really enjoyed it.

13. Idran

What do you mean, JWolf? Trek paperbacks from today don't feel any different to me.

14. Christopher

My copies of Uncertain Logic are all standard MMPB size.

15. Dimesdan

Dimesdan Living the Irish dream. Premium Member

"Looks at thread"
    "Looks at book shelf"

Nope, no different at all from fifteen years ago.

As they say, the more things change, the more they very much stay the same.

16. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Admiral

JWolf may have received a book that wasn't properly guillotined? Pocket has only changed height once for their MMPBs, with #14 ("The Trellisane Confrontation") of the numbered TOS novels.

17. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or one of those print on demands which are trade paperbacks.

18. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Admiral

I was going to suggest that, but I thought this format applied to out-of-print books? My local book shop has sometimes mistakenly ordered these in (and put them in my standing order) when an older Trek book suddenly becomes available again and is listed in the Pocket/Gallery catalogue. The margins and gutters are very wide, even though the internal text still looks formatted for MMPB.

19. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

The photo of the books in the box look taller than a standard MMPB. I don't have a pBook edition. I have an eBook edition. I'll check out pBook next time I am near a bookstore if there is one in stock.

20. Christopher

If you mean the photo on my blog, I'm looking at one of those very books on the shelf in front of me right now, and it's the same height as all my other MMPBs.