ENT Forum Get To Know You Thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Top41, Dec 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paradon

Paradon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm 18 this year, and I like animals and Star Trek. You can always catch me watching animal documetaries if you come to my house. I have 4 tarantulas ( and planning to get much more...possibly into the hundreds or up a thousand tarantulas ), one emperor scorpion, a ball python named Wally, 10 hermit crabs, and 2 species of frogs. I know it sounds silly having that much tarantulas, collecting them as a hobby, but it's a growing trend among a certain group of avid collectors. I'm an animal lover! :lol: That sounds cheesy, doesn't it? Anyway, I started watching TNG and then DS9 after my bro introduce it to me. I also enjoy building things, only a little though. :p And you call me Bobby or Rob...or whatever you want for a few dollars. :lol:

2. dex

dex Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My name is Andrew, and I'm 21. I major in EE at the University of Washington, although that has the potential to change very soon.

I like sci-fi and fantasy in general. Of the various choices, my favorites and Star Trek and LOTR.

I first began watching Star Trek during first run TNG episodes. I feel that DSN is the best completed series. The most recent BSG has great potential for a great series.

Ironically, I didnt get into LOTR until the movies came out. I thought they were bad, but thats because I hated Lord of the Flies, which I somehow subconsciously related to LOTR.

I am an avid computer hobbyist; I spend time reading technical documentation more than I should and spend more money than I should on it.

3. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

I'm Dorian. I'm 38 years old, married for six years to a man I never dated who announced out of the blue one day that he was in love with me and asked me to marry him. We'd only been friends to that point. I've never regretted it. :) I never finished college, which I've always deeply regretted.

My passions are historical books about the era of the American Revolutionary and Civil Wars, any work by Dean Koontz, Caleb Carr, Steven King or Carol O'Connell, world politics, and Star Trek (TOS, DS9, and ENT are my faves. TNG and VOY are so-so IMHO). I am not a science fiction/genre fan, which is probably odd considering that I love Trek. LOTR, SG-1, BSG, Firefly, Farscape and Buffy all leave me thoroughly unimpressed. Unless a particular character grabs my attention, like Sigourney Weaver's "Ripley," I really don't care for genre at all. Go figure. I only enjoyed Star Wars as a kid. I wouldn't have watched the prequels at all had it not been for one of my favorite actors, Ewan McGregor, being cast. My favorite shows other than ENT right now are Gilmore Girls, 24, Judging Amy, QAF, and Everwood. The History Channel is my favorite.

What else? I tutor with my local literacy link program which helps adults with reading difficulties. It's extremely rewarding to help people build self esteem and get a new lease on life. I recommend it highly. I have a cat I love dearly named Sparky and a half dalmation, half Shelty rescued from a trip to the pound named Chloe the wonder mutt. No children, unfortunately. :( The quadrupeds are my babies. :)

4. Paradon

Oops, I forgot to mentioned I also like Enterprise and have 2 large dogs, one collie/doberman mix and German bloodline working German Shepherd. I also watched Voy until the end and rewatch the begining because I felt asleep the first time during the first two seasons and stop watching the first two season after.

5. PreHensile

PreHensile Commodore Commodore

Screenname is PreHensile, dedicated to the second greatest character Voyager ever created -- Janeway's prehensile plant from "Survival Instinct". I guarantee you Lisa would support me with this view, especially since the greatest character would have to be the Auburn Queen.

Real name is Brian. I'm 20.3 years old, and am a junior at an east coast university, doubling in film and classics with a Latin concentration. I work as the technical director and stage manager of a respected dance theatre on campus (as in nationally recognized -- not campus recognized), along with shooting and editing hired work. And I write screenplays and specs like a maniac.

The first real introduction to Star Trek I ever had, past the films, was a TNG episode I can't recall. I saw that, then "All Good Things...", then nothing until Voyager's "Threshold", which I caught on a whim. Ironically enough, it was the, ahem, brilliance of "Threshold" that sparked my curiosity. From that point on, DS9 and Voyager were must-see programs. Past the simple fan boy association, I also have a small professional association with Enterprise, so that helps to keep me coming back every week. Right, Top? ;)

Past that, I obsess over films and theatre. You might question my sanity about this, since my favorite film is EYES WIDE SHUT, but you know what? It's Kubrick's best, and arguing otherwise with me will result in you having an unfortunate meeting with a colostomy bag. Film scores are the greatest pieces of music ever, except for classical and the occasional Tears for Fears song. 24 should be worshipped, Buffy is the shiznit, and my caffeine has 4% blood in it.

6. Dessa35

Dessa35 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hello. I'm Trenur.
    I'm a 26 year old Economics major at a California State University. I started watching TNG when I was a kid and have loved ST ever since. DS9 is my favorite of the series because it's just plain fun. ENT is great too and it's the only TV show I watch regularly--in fact, it's nearly the only TV I watch, period.

I would have hobbies if I weren't so busy with work and school. Those hobbies would probably include reading scifi. Now that I'm on winter break from school, I'm going to take up Yoga again. Might read some Tolkien, too. I saw Return of the King tonight--excellent. Does anyone know if there are any Tolkien books covering a period AFTER the Return of the King?

Tren :borg:

7. Paradon

I also like baseball, basketball, football, and soccer. I know Brazilian jujitsu and a some Thai boxing.

8. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This all reads like an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting.

Hi my name is George and I have a Trek problem.

I have been watching since TOS first aired in the UK when I was very young.

I am now 34 and still enjoy watching it.

I recently moved to a village just outside of Edinburgh but I still work in the centre of town.

I work in the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh providing IT support and I run the web site.

I do a couple of other affiliated websites for the College too, this is the one I enjoy doing the most.

I used to work in the College Library which was established in 1682 and was the first in Scotland specifically intended for the study of medicine.

It has some very cool stuff in it.

This alchemical scroll being one of my faveourites.

I will have been with my childhood sweetheart for 19 years in January, we live together with our 2 cats Kira and Sisko.

It was her that convinced me A Night In Sickbay[i/] was an good episode.

I love most Sci-Fi shows, SG1 and Farscape are probably my faveourites at the moment but it changes depending on my mood.

My favourite author right now is probably Haruki Murakami.

I love DVD's I currently buy them at a such a rate that I will never be able to watch them all.

I recently got The Twins Effect as result of Lady C's avatars.

She is right when she says:

9. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

I'm Tim and I am 21 years old male. I live in Manchester, located in the Northwest of England.

I've watched Star Trek since the UK premier of TNG in the late 80's, as a result I have a soft spot for TNG but like all of the Star Trek shows equally - they all have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Besides Star Trek, I enjoy sports, martial Arts and binge drinking with mates! :D

10. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

This is an interesting thread. Well, at least it was up until now...

The true name of RJDiogenes is Rick from Boston (Hub of the Universe, Beantown); I'm 42, SWM, E&FS. ;)

My job is managing a hospital-based midwifery/doula program which services a large urban population. It's fascinating work. Right now, I have 92 women (and, over the past 10 years, literally hundreds) working for me, of all ages, from all over the world, of all ethnic backgrounds, from dozens of cultures, and dozens of countries; talk about living la vida Star Trek. Another interesting thing about this job is that the office building I work in used to be the Maternity Building; I was born two flights up from where I'm sitting right now.

I first became interested in SF when I was in grade school, resulting from my obsessions with dinosaurs and astronomy. I started out reading comics (e.g. Fantastic Four, Magnus Robot Fighter, From Beyond the Unknown, and Dan Barry's Flash Gordon newspaper strip). I started watching Trek late in the 3rd season, just before it was cancelled; but then good old Channel 56 picked it up and I watched it every night for years. Other favorite shows throughout the ages include, but are not limited to, the original Outer Limits, Lost in Space, The Night Stalker, Tales of the Gold Monkey, Babylon 5 and Firefly. The only shows I'm watching regularly at the moment are Enterprise, Alias and Angel.

My favorite author is Arthur C Clarke (I still have the two issues of Galaxy that serialized Rendevous With Rama that I bought off the newstand). I also love Asimov, Heinlein, Niven and Gibson. Having recently read Chindi and Omega, I've been buying up Jack McDevitt's backlist (Deepsix is next on my list). I belong to the SFBC, BOMC, QPBC, SABC, and am a much-too-frequent visitor to Amazon (not the one in South America).

Magazines? Oh, yeah. I subscribe to Analog, Asimov's, F&SF, Weird Tales, Absolute Magnitude, Realms of Fantasy and Fantastic for fiction; for non-fiction, I subscribe to Archaeology, Discover, Popular Science, Science News, Smithsonian, Natural History, Wired, Islands, American Heritage, American History, Rolling Stone, Starlog, Comic Book Artist, Femme Fatales, Air & Space, High Adventure and probably a couple of others that slip my mind at the moment. I also subscribe to about twenty or so comics. Do I own lots of books? You should see my apartment; on second thought, maybe you shouldn't...

I belong to several organizations, including Save The Children, the Smithsonian, Southern Poverty Law Center, The Cousteau Society and The Planetary Society.

Other interests: I have a music collection going back to the 1930s (but I prefer late 60s through early 80s, for obvious reasons); love old movies (especially bad old movies... and new movies that pretend to be bad old movies); old radio shows; old pulp magazines (can only afford reprints, sadly). I could go on and on, but I see your eyes are glazing over; as it says in my profile, "Let's just say the arts and sciences and leave it at that."

Hobbies? Aside from the above, I also write (including two Trek stories for Strange New Worlds which were rejected for overuse of original characters-- maybe I'll post them someday), I do some cartooning and I've been experimenting with interactive fiction and 3D modeling (mostly Poser and Bryce).

Most importantly, though, I have a nephew Jason (5) and a niece Marissa (4), who are my favorite people in the world... and make me very happy I never had kids. :D

One-line character description: An uberliterate Bohemian couch potato who somehow grew up to be a workaholic against his better judgment.

Merry Christmas, everybody (I'm an atheist, but I'll celebrate any holiday where I get presents or the day off :cool:).

11. Drone Leader

Drone Leader Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Interesting diversity. I’m Neal and approaching my mid forties currently unemployed. I stopped looking for work with the arrival of our first child last year. My wife and I met while serving in the military at a gathering of friends called The Wednesday Night Star Trek and Pinochle Group (WNSTPG – say it “Wince Pig”). After completing half a career in the military, I taught Computer Science at one of the other respectable engineering colleges in the Pacific Northwet not mentioned so far.

Although old enough to watch TOS, I didn’t see it until I caught it in syndication in the early 70’s. I’ve tried to catch all the Trek shows as they come out, but business trips and moving to new bases (some where UPN wasn’t readily available) made that difficult and caused me to have a slight bias against arc shows (although I enjoyed B-5 and Dr. Who, this made these a challenge to watch).

Fortunately there are DVDs! Our one-year old daughter stops whatever she’s doing while the opening credits play for TNG, DS9 and Enterprise. So we have high hopes that she’ll be the Trek geek her parents are.

...Guide Us Landru

12. Video Chick

Video Chick Commodore Commodore

Hey all. My name is Lorie and I'll officially be 30-something in a few weeks. As my screen name says, I'm a video chick -- that is I'm a female who has worked in video production most of my life. I've done everything from produce a (bad) local children's program, direct local newscasts, wrote and edit promos to shoot events and webcasts for nice clean corporate video. I love lighting, but editing is my calling. I've also acted in a few very low budget films shot in PA.

I started to watch Trek because my brother forced me. Really! He would take over the TV to watch syndicated TOS when we were kids and talk me into watching. When TNG hit the air I was the only one he'd allow in his room to watch with him. I blame him for getting me hooked.

I took a college course on Trek (first approved by Rodenberry) and got really involved in all kinds of Trek my first two years of college. Then I got burned out, and discovered other things...I've come in and out of Trek for the last few years and finally started watching earlier this year. My husband had never realized how into Trek I was until this summer when I started surfing the net for a "fix." :lol:

I've been married for 6.5 years. I have a 5 year-old daughter. In my spare time I play flute in a community band. I've also held several pageant titles that have given me opportunities to talk to people about the dangers of low self-esteem and eating disorders.

Oh, and I spend much more time here than I should ;)

13. J Archer

J Archer Commodore Commodore

My real name is David, and i'll be 17 at the end of January. I've been a Trek fan since...1993/94.
    I started watching TNG because it was always on after some cartoon I watched after school (ducktales or something), and my mum always watched it so one day i did too.
    My fav Trek is ENT (which explains my user name and avatar) and my fav movie is Nemesis or Insurrection.
    Apart from ST, I like to read, watch tv, mess about with computers and go out on my bike (once the neds have deserted the streets)

14. wolf359

wolf359 Captain Captain

hi, i'm alan, 38 years of age and have spent the last 18 married to my childhood sweetheart. i have a 17 year old daughter and a 15 year old son. i've been a trek fan since the beginning. my order of merit would be
    tng
    ds9
    tos
    tas
    voy
    ent

my alltime favourite trek moment would be sitting in the cinema watching TMP on the day it was released, and seeing the old girl for the first time on a 30 foot screen, i think my jaw was on the floor throughout the entire spacedock scene :)

15. Top41

Top41 Vice Admiral Moderator

I actually work for a book review magazine. Don't get to read on the job, though--there are more mundane things that need to be taken care of on a day to day basis. But I do get to read books prior to their publication dates, which is pretty cool!

I admire that you can do the technical stuff--that must be very in demand!

I think I might know a little something about that. ;) :lol: :D

This thread is really cool--I've seen so many of you posting around the forum, but there's a lot I didn't know about you guys!

Another fun thing I wanted to add--I've met a lot of people on the board. Too many to list, actually! I met quite a few when I went to the big Trek convention in Las Vegas, and then I made a great group of BBS friends right here in Chicago. We hang out every few weeks, either for drinks, dinner, movies or even the occasional Trek marathon! :D

16. Searcher

Searcher Ensign Newbie

My name Gbagobo but i am her name Searcher because i love it so! Helo to you fans!

17. emily_reich

emily_reich Commodore Commodore

hey y'all! i know this is a BIG shocker but my name really IS emily :D.... i know, i'm REALLY original with names, huh? :D

i'm 17 (almost 18! yay! i can almost vote!! :)), but most folks here already know that... so i'm the youngun' for now... :evil:

let's see, just to solidify my geekhood, i should point out that i LOVE science and just about any sci-fi... i can't wait to go to college so that i can get my doctorate in marine biology and my masters in zoology... plus, i'm minoring in music and theatre (and maybe dance too, i haven't decided yet honestly... :D)... my mother says i load my plate up too full, but whatever... i would never forgive myself if i went for anything less... :D.... anyway... i hope i get accepted to the university of hawaii manoa, cuz i REALLY wanna go there (if anyone lives or has lived in hawaii, do share... i'd like to know a little more info about the area... :))

anyway, as you can tell, i love rambling... yes indeed.... my absolute, number one BEST skill is my ability to talk longer about NOTHING than the average person can talk about anything.... :evil: it doesn't make me many friends, but hey, what can i do... my friends are geeks that way, and they're the best kind... :D

i have a dog (well, three, but only one is mine... :D) named tiki... (she's from hawaii too... i can't wait to take her there... :)) she's small and black, and really annoying sometimes but absolutely adorable... :)

anyway, way back when i think i mentioned that i love just about all things sci-fi *checks to make sure...* yes, i did... :D i used to hate star trek, until i actually WATCHED it about 4 and a half years ago (it was DS9's the emperor's new cloak as i found out later :)) which followed the last few minutes (ironically) of VOY's 5th season finale equinox, which i caught the end of apparently.... :D anyway, i was hooked from then on and i've been an ABSOLUTE trek geek ever since... :) i've been training my little brother too.... (he's four, and he pointed out to us the VERY first time he saw an ep this season that "she's wearing a different dress!"... referring to tpol obviously.... oh yes, we have trained him well... :evil: :borg:)... aside from trek though, i also caught an ep or two of farscape and if i got sci-fi at this household, i would watch it again, cuz it was good... :)

the only other thing i watch on tv besides trek is gilmore girls :) i mostly hate tv.... :D

i'm currently reading the hitchiker's guide to the galaxy (GREAT book :D)...

that enough info for ya?? i think you're all about emily'd out now so i'll stop for your sake... :D

18. emily_reich

emily_reich Commodore Commodore

there are a couple folks from teh BBS here in teh portland/vancouver/seattle area but i've never met any of them... it would be fun to do so though... :)

next time there's a convention in the area we should all meet up... hang with our "homies" from the BBS... :D

19. John F.

John F. Commodore Commodore

Hi....My name is John. I'm 49 so I guess that I've been a fan since TOS first appeared. I'm married with 4 daughters (26, 24, 19, & 6). I also have 5 grandkids (8, 5, 4, 3, & 2). The youngest 3 live with us, so there's never a dull moment in our house.

I don't really have a favorite, I like TREK in all of it's forms, including the novels. Besides the STAR TREK books I read other SCIFI & I think they are called TECHNO Thrillers, books by Tom Clancy, Stephen Coonts, and others.

That's about it.

20. Kingrobber

Kingrobber Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hello,
    My screen name is Kingrobber. I teach virtual reality/computer graphics at a university. I'm 28 and male (Yes, very young to be faculty). I've been a star trek fan since 1987 when I watched the premire of TNG. Before then the only thing I knew of ST was that "guy with the pointy ears". Been hooked ever since. I like to view many of the posts, news here, and especially the CG projects that many of the fans post here. Since working with VR is my specialty, the holodeck is something I would like to see reality someday. (I don't think we will have to wait until the 24th century for it either.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.