Enemy of the World, The Moonbase and Web of Fear DVD extras

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by The Squire of Gothos, Jan 11, 2014.

1. The Squire of Gothos

The Squire of Gothos Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was a bit disappointed to see there weren't any extras on the DVD of The Enemy of the World.

Why was that and will there be any on the Moonbase and Web of Fear releases?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

There simply wasn't enough time for any bonus features to be done for Enemy of the World. Presumably, the same will be true for Web of Fear. There are rumours of a special edition release later on for the two which will include bonus material.

The Moonbase on the other hand will have animated reconstructions of the missing episodes and other bonus features.

3. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

They wanted to jump on the iTunes bandwagon and release Enemy as quickly as possible but secrecy was paramount so they couldn't involve anyone to make extras for them!

4. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

According to Steve Manfred, the reason the DVDs are coming out so much later in R1 is that BBC Worldwide was hoping that the UK would release a version of Enemy or Web with extras - but it's not happening.

5. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll wait until they do before buying. Until then, I have the iTunes download.

Mr Awe

6. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Same here. I already have digital copies of it so, without any extras, there's no reason to get the DVDs. The reason I could see is to have a complete library and that's something I won't have anytime soon considering I'm focusing more on Big Finish audio plays.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  7. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

I am a sucker, and so I will be getting the DVD despite also having the digital versions. Also because the iTunes versions won't stream to my PS3, so I can't watch it on my TV.

8. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Moon base has a commentary and a making of documentary.

9. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep. Moonbase and - probably - Menace are normal releases, in the pipelne for ages with time to prepare lots of add-ons. Enemy and Web are, relatively speaking, rush releases (and they are probably hoping we'll later double dib. Or treble dip after itunes)

10. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

Has there ever been any word about season sets for Classic Who? The current model is pretty archaic, and I can understand them wanting to complete the DVD runs of those eras that aren't complete. I've got a pretty sizable collection of Who DVD's, but with having to move a couple of times in the last year, and with them eating up so much space, I'm realizing that I'd kill for season sets and am hesitant about buying any more DVD's (although I treated myself to a Troughton ep at Christmas).

11. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

There's been speculation about Season sets once the Singles are done, though, I'm not sure if there's been any confirmation that it will actually happen

12. The Wormhole

It's my understanding they prefer releasing the stories individually as it allows them to give each one singular attention where a season box set you'd have the less popular ones being overlooked. Plus season sets just wouldn't be a practical approach to Hartnell and Troughton.

13. diankra

However, that point is about to become redundant, with only two more individual releases to come, unless there's more recoveries or they animate up Crusade.
    And season sets are surprisingly possible for half of Hartnell and Troughton, thanks to the animation-completed stories...
    Season One: Only Marco Polo's missing, and the narrative gap is at least covered by the telesnap precis.
    Season Two: Animate up Crusade 2&4 and that season's 'complete'.
    Season Six: Is already 'narratively' complete thanks to the Invasion animations, in that Space Pirates is a rare 60s example of a totally skipable story - not a verdict on its quality, it's just that there's no lead-in from/to the surrounding stories, no characters/monsters from old stories, or brought back later (unless you reckon that the Colony in Space IMC used to be the Issigri Mining Corp, as the New Adventures suggest); there's not even the usual throwaway line about it in the next story ("Och, Doctor, the mud in these tranches is even worse than in the tunnels on Ta").

So all three of those could be put out as season sets, with suitably worded cover copy. And even Season Five would hold up surprisingly well now if they just animated up the missing episodes of Wheel in Space (seeing as Wheel 1 would explain, if only in passing, Victoria's departure). I could see that happening, by the way, as it would also mean every Cyberman story 'existed' 'complete'.

14. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

Overlooked how and by whom? Care to clarify?

15. Sindatur

So, do we know what's happening with Web of Fear Ep 3? Is it a Recon, an Animation, The recovered episode with restoration completed finally, or skipped over, or whatever other possibility?

16. diankra

No, but as it's out in the UK in three weeks I'd guess a vanilla release of the iTunes version with better picture quality.

17. The Wormhole

What I mean is the less popular stories would be less likely to have commentaries or story-specific bonus material like a behind the scenes documentary. A full season set would likely just include a season encompassing documentary that would just focus on the popular episodes and the landmark ones while the less popular or even the "average" would not be paid any attention.

Then again, the Classic Who seasons that were released as sets (Key to Time and Trial of a Time Lord) have their stories presented as though they were individual releases packaged together, so I guess anything is possible.

18. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

I believe people with review copies of the disc have confirmed it's exactly that. Which leaves the rumor sources who claimed the episode was being held back for the DVD in a bind... or would, if the new claim wasn't that it's being held back for a Yeti box set. (Wouldn't that be nice? And you never know; maybe it's even true.)

19. Sindatur

The Lost in Time Collections have incomplete Serials, and there's a couple/few(?) single episodes as extras, plus a couple Reconstructions. But, would this be the first time, there was a DVD Release with only a single episode missing that wasn't Recon'ed or Animated?

20. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

It is recon'd: the same recon from iTunes is on the DVD.