Ending of The Tholian Web

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Vandervecken, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Spock's Barber

Spock's Barber Commodore Commodore

Spock-o could have quieted McCoy for most of the episode with a quick neck pinch. :biggrin:

TLOZ Lover likes this.
  2. TLOZ Lover

TLOZ Lover Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well, Kirk gets annoyed with Scotty for stopping by Sickbay to check on Mira in TLOZ instead of being in Engineering where he assumed he was. Just saying...:shrug:

3. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

There was a crisis that called for his services there then, though.

TREK_GOD_1 likes this.
  4. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

Spock is clearly the more formidable one of the two. McCoy is going up against a tougher adversary than himself. Spock's also in command... he is and must be prepared to take this stuff on. Is it fair of McCoy? Not always, but when he goes overboard, there's often some influence exaggerating his irascibleness. Sometimes McCoy is trying to speak truth to power, and sometimes he's right, or at least has a point worth listening to. He does it with Kirk, too.

5. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I always thought it would have been interesting if Spock had donned a gold tunic after the service where Kirk was declared dead. I suppose it would have been presumptuous if he had also put on captains braids....

6. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Seconded! If only there had been enough time and money for a Nimoy-sized gold shirt. :devil:

Trek never could make up its mind on the issue. Riker got captaincy of the E-D twice, but the fourth pip only once. Data got to change his shirt once for the XO job, but not twice, and not for his stint as CO. Dax didn't bother wearing red when CO of the Defiant. Etc.

Timo Saloniemi

7. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Commodore Commodore

Quite right. With spacesuits to make for that episode, an S3 low-budget episode at that, there is no way they had the time or money to put Nimoy in a gold tunic. It would have to be made for him, because a star shouldn't wear a shirt that doesn't fit. And William Ware Theiss was so late with the spacesuits that director Ralph Senensky got fired over the delay. There was literally no spare capacity that week.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Search4 likes this.
  8. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Sorry if this thread is a bit old but I watched "The Tholian Web" the other day and was wondering about Kirk's last orders.
    McCoy seemed to think that Kirk's last orders might affect the current command of the Enterprise after he died.

Surely nothing Kirk could have said would affect the captaincy of the Enterprise. His time was gone.

If in the last orders Kirk said I want Ensign Ricky in charge, would that affect anything. Surely he can't hand down the captaincy like he was royalty.

Thinking about it really the last orders were useless. It wasn't until the end of the episode that MCoy showed Spock any respect at all and I don't think Spock needed any of McCoys advice.