Emmy Nominations: Discovery Picks Up Creative Arts Nominations

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by MvRojo, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I hope it's for something else in that episode. The Klingon make up is okay, but not award worthy.

2. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe the network execs, but Netflix, and to a lesser extent Prime and Hulu, are employing a ton of people in Hollywood. So I'm not sure why they'd be that pissed.

guyute03, BillJ, Greg Cox and 2 others like this.
  3. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

Saru's make-up is great. The "Klingons" look like Orcs and barely move their mouths. Andorians and Tellarites look good but not award worthy. That robot thing on the bridge looks awesome.

4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

What else would it be though?

Can't be the Orions, they're not wearing prosthetics.

Well I guess Saru.

5. AutoAdmin

AutoAdmin Machine of Death Administrator

A new news article has been published at TrekToday:

The 70th Annual Emmy Award nominations have been announced and Star Trek: Discovery has received two nominations. The first nomination was for...

Continue reading...

6. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

one hyperintelligent glowing multi-coloured blob of ionized gas, please

7. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Worst makeup nod since the Oscars nominated "Suicide Squad." Hopefully "Altered Carbon" and "Ash vs the Evil Dead" and both "Walking Dead" shows got nod's.

Jason

8. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

I assume ITDUDE is being facetious, but here is the article about the selection and voting process:

"How are Emmys nominated?
    Voting is done by peer judging panels. ... Most categories have two voting rounds, with separate judging panels in each round. The top entries in each category are announced as the nominations, and then the top entry is announced as the Emmy winner later at the awards ceremony."

Man, the accolades continue to pile up for season 1 of this little show. Once again, congratulations are in order. The DSC team really did a great job this past season. :)

9. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Well, it's nominated for an episode that's way heavy on walk-on background critters. So if the award is for "Show that ran the most paint and rubber in a week," well...yeah, maybe.

ITDUDE and CorporalCaptain like this.
  10. Jayson1

[QUOTE="gblews, post: 12538657, member: 2
    as the Emmy winner later at the awards ceremony."

Man, the accolades continue to pile up for season 1 of this little show. Once again, congratulations are in order. The DSC team really did a great job this past season. :)[/QUOTE]

Yes but how do the bribes get carried out? That is what I want to know. :) My theory is each judge receives some blu rays or dvd's of the shows they have to watch to make a judgment. Whichever case the blu-ray or dvd comes in that has the most cash in it, gets to be nominated. The one that has the most out of the top 5 highest ranking bribed shows gets to be the winner!

Jason

ITDUDE likes this.
  11. Serveaux

The "accolades" for this sprawling, bloated, massively expensive and disorganized project are somewhat overstated in some quarters.

Acting? Writing? Direction? Art design? Costume Design? Effects? Uh...Best Hairstyling?

IMG_20180704_165511.jpg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    pst likes this.
  12. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

We'd completely forget you hate the show if you didn't remind us daily.

13. Serveaux

That's not actually a consideration.

Or did you have a correction you wanted to make? There are a lot of Emmy categories - maybe I missed one.

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I like the show, but it hasn't produced anything award worthy yet. Well, maybe Wiseman's performance. I really liked that. ;)

Jinn and Jayson1 like this.
  15. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

It's nominated but I won't hold my breath for a win. Why? Because it's Star Trek. Doesn't matter if it's Discovery.

Of course, if I turn out to be wrong, it's a case of I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than crushingly disappointed.

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

As noted in the article, TREK shows haven't been nominated for acting awards since Nimoy back in the sixties. And Trek has never been routinely nominated for directing or writing.

For better or for worse, we tend to get relegated to technical categories. In that respect, DISCO is doing just as well as it predecessors when it comes to Emmy nominations. Unless I'm forgetting the year VOYAGER swept the acting awards? :)

Jinn, Vger23 and Lord Garth like this.
  17. Jayson1

DIdn't Patrick Stewart get a nod in season 7 of TNG or was that just the show for, best tv drama, that year?

Jason

18. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

I doubt they'd win against Westworld for prosthesis but Sound Editing was well done on the show.

19. Jayson1

How does "Legion" not win for Sound Editing? That show has brilliant sounds.

Jason

pst likes this.
  20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

It's not genre, but I'm thrilled that Sandra Oh picked up a nomination for KILLING EVE, which is sublime.

CorporalCaptain likes this.