eBook Formats and Readers ?'s

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by ConRefit79, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Anyone else moving to all-ebooks for their TrekLit collection? I've started going that way recently, starting with the Vanguard series and now Typhon Pact / Titan.

2. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When I get an eBook Reader, I will.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have. I get all books (not just Trek ones) via Apple's iBooks.

4. garoo1980

garoo1980 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

How about a slightly different topic. Anyone heard about this site?

http://www.thenovelnetwork.com

Scam? It looks like a scam, but like all good ones its probably too good to be true, but close enough in price I'm still tempted!

5. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had, several years ago, but when S&S decided to charge absurd prices for their ebooks I just gave up on the line.

6. garoo1980

garoo1980 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Pretty much. Whenever possible I always get the ebook version. with a Kindle there are some availability issues so I have broken down and bought the book.

Seriously, how can a store get printed copies of it faster than a FILE can get loaded on a server? :(

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Me too. Ever since I got my Nook I've been getting almost all of my books as Nookbooks from B&N. Some Star Wars and James Bond are the only things I can think of right now that I haven't been able to find as NBs.

8. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Star Wars is really irritating. I see no reason why ALL the SW books, past and present, shouldn't be on Kindle.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Definitely looks like a scam to me too. "All content found within the member’s area is the property of The Novel Network"? What the hell does that even mean? The content is the property of the publishers, not those sheisters. Somebody should report them.

10. tmclough

tmclough Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ever since getting my ebook reader, all my fiction reading, with one exception, has been ebooks. I have a large (for me) collection of unread paper books that I plan to, or already have, re-bought as ebooks, as I find the larger font sizes much easier to read.

(The exception was a copy of Warped, which I already owned in HC format. The main reason I didn't buy it in ebook format was because of the lack of availability of most major ebooks back then (April of this year; think "Agency 5 fiasco").

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really wonder how they decided which ones to release, it seems pretty random. What I really cracks me up is that's it's mostly the post ROTJ books which alot of people haven't liked, and the stand alones which alot more people have like aren't available in ebooks. You'd think they'd want to release the one people have liked better.

12. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

What happens is S&S gives a release date for the title. The pBook (paper book) is usually released before this date. The eBook is not released until the release date.

13. Julio Angel Ortiz

I see a number of fellow Nook owners here. Anyone have their B&N profiles set to "public" so that we can follow each other? I have yet to use the "Lend Me" feature... need more Nook friends! :rommie:

My B&N profile, BTW, is:

http://my.barnesandnoble.com/julioangelortiz-profile

14. sfroth

sfroth Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've been buying my Trek via ebook exclusively since 2004. I've bought just about every format available (if you count the various ePub styles as one format).

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I might set one up later.

16. Julio Angel Ortiz

I guess to answer my own question, I have a large amount of TrekLit (80+) in eBook format from eReader.com, which I started purchasing in 2001. When I bought my Nook, I removed the DRM and converted them to EPUB. Going forward, I am purchasing all TrekLit in eBook format.

17. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

...doesn't the Nook support eReader format books in addition to epub?

18. Julio Angel Ortiz

Apparently it does, but not well. I read reports of half of the books not showing up with the proper metatag information like book title and author, so instead of dealing with the hassle, I went through that process.

19. aaon80

aaon80 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I've now purchased about 3 books via the Kindle store for use on my iPhone and iPad. I am generally quite satisfied with the books and formatting, with the exception of section breaks, which tend to get rendered as simply an extra blank line, a break which can be barely noticeable. Still, all in all I am quite pleased.

20. ares93

ares93 Commodore Commodore

Noticed the same thing on my iphone. But the books display just fine on my kindle. Maybe its something with the iphone app itself...