E-Cards on email ; anyone notice more of them?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by DarthTom, Aug 16, 2007.

1. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Has anyone been noticing lately on their e-mail a lot of supposed greeting cards from a family member or friend or 'long lost HS buddy' that ends up being advertising:?

I've been getting a lot of them. Is this a legal advertising tactic?

2. TerriO

TerriO Writer-type human Premium Member

It's not. It's a virus spreading around the 'Net. Snopes.com has info on the subject.

Part of the virus includes a variant on the Storm Trojan.

It's a nasty thing. Delete them when you get them. I specifically told everyone I could think of not to send me any eCards for my birthday yesterday, because I already have my computer set to delete those files. And hell, I've got a Mac. I've just got years of PC virus parnoia behind me.

3. Deleted 2

Deleted 2 Vice Admiral

It's spam; The authors don't care if it's legal or not.

4. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My dad just told me today that he's been getting a lot of e-cards lately, though he knew they were most likely a virus and has been deleting them.

5. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

It seems to come in discrete bursts. I'll get a bunch of ones where you have to click the link, and then click a second link on the resulting site to get infected. Then I got some that had the virus embedded (which was stripped out by my ISP), and now I'm getting external links again (which are a lot more british. My "mate" sent me an e-card? Jolly good, old chap).

6. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

i remember they were 'cool' briefly when they came out, but I really don't know anyone sending e-cards anymore, viruses aside...