E-Book Pricing Alerts

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Apr 4, 2017.

1. 2of1million

2of1million Captain Captain

It’s best to read Homecoming first and then the Farther Shore.

DeepSpaceYorks likes this.
  2. DeepSpaceYorks

DeepSpaceYorks Commander Red Shirt

Thanks both, I think I'll skip it then. I don't need another book on my 'to read' pile :lol:

3. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

It's not great, but if you are going to be reading the Kirsten Beyer Voyager eBooks, then you do want to read the Christie Golden Voyager eBooks first because the first Beyer Voyager eBook fixes the problems Golden created so you need to know what those problems are.

4. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm going to have to disagree. I read Full Circle without having read any of the four Golden post-series books, and all of the relevant information was delivered. That said, I would not discourage reading Golden's books, either. Those two duologies have their fans, and I have very much enjoyed a lot of Golden's Star Wars work.

Corran Horn, JoeP and Jinn like this.
  5. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

Well, I'm going to have to disagree with your disagreement. I think the Golden books should be read first as it make a more cohesive storyline.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    Alwaystrekkin likes this.
  6. dstyer

dstyer Commander Red Shirt

...or, to paraphrase, Kill [Read] them all; let God sort them out.

:shrug:

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I read the Golden books, I think Beyer did a good enough job covering them that they aren’t necessary to enjoy the Beyer books. But it is up to the individual reader whether or not to read them.

Corran Horn and Smiley like this.
  8. historypeats

historypeats Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't seen any official announcements regarding January's discounts, but the following e-book titles are available for $0.99 on Amazon US:

TOS #3: The Klingon Gambit, Robert Vardeman
    TOS #31: Battlestations!, Diane Cary
    TOS #79: Invasion! Book One: First Strike, Diane Carey
    TOS: That Which Divides, Dayton Ward
    TNG #2: The Peacekeepers, Gene DeWeese
    DS9 #21: Trial by Error, Mark Garland
    DS9: The Ferengi Rules of Acquisition, Ira Steven Behr
    Dark Passions, Book 2, Susan Wright

9. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

These are all now on sale on the Canadian Kobo store too, which seems to support that these would be the regular monthly sale titles for January, rather than a US-specific (or Amazon-specific) sale.

I think the only repeat in this list is Dark Passions, Book 2, which looks like it was on sale a year ago, in December 2019. (But at least at that time, it was paired with a sale-priced Book 1! :lol: )

Oddly, Kobo appears to credit someone named Shlomo Nakdimon as author of Invasion!: First Strike:

[​IMG]

I was curious as to why that might be, so I did some Googling, and found out Shlomo Nakdimon was the author of a book called First Strike: The Exclusive Story of How Israel Foiled Iraq's Attempt to Get the Bomb. OK, so the first part of the title is the same, but it seems an odd mistake to make, when the actual author is right there on the cover. But then I found that the incorrect attribution is also on the S&S site:

https://www.simonandschuster.ca/boo...n/Star-Trek-The-Original-Series/9780671040956

So that certainly explains why Kobo has it wrong, but the error seems even weirder coming directly from the book's publisher.

Elwro, Koric, Reanok and 2 others like this.
  10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

All of the e-book stores have TNG: Dominion War Book 3: Tunnel Through the Stars have Esther Friesner as the author instead of the real author, John Vornholt. I've check Amazon, Google Play, and Nook/Barnes & Nobel they all have her down as the author . The funny thing is, the Nook page actually includes John Vornholt's name in the address, but then still has Esther Friesner as the author on the page itself.

11. Avro Arrow

Interesting! In addition to Tunnel Through the Stars, she is also credited on the S&S site for the Double Helix omnibus, and the audiobook of TNG: Contamination, both also instead of John Vornholt! Even though the individual version of Quarantine, and the non-audio version of Contamination are both correctly attributed to Vornholt. (And, of course, she is also credited with TNG: To Storm Heaven and DS9: Warchild, which she, you know, actually wrote.)

According to Wikipedia, Friesner and Vornholt were both born the same year, but other than that similarity, I can't really see what would lead to this mix-up.

(Unless she actually did work on these, in an uncredited capacity, or something? I've found a few older listings of non-ST books with Vornholt's name on the cover, but where Friesner is also mentioned in the listing.)

Koric likes this.
  12. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Trust me, John Vornholt and Esther Friesner are two totally separate people. This is just a weird-ass glitch.

Corran Horn and Koric like this.
  13. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

S&S published both First Strike titles, so the issue is probably somewhere in their own databases.

14. Avro Arrow

Indysolo and Koric like this.
  15. Koric

Koric Commander Red Shirt

Hey all,

Here are the Star Trek eBook Deals January 2021 at .99 cents

https://www.simonandschuster.com/c/ebookpromojanuary2021

ST DS9: The Ferengi Rules of Acquisition
    By Ira Steven Behr

ST VOY: Dark Passions Book Two
    By Susan Wright

ST TOS: Battlestations!
    By Diane Carey

ST TOS: The Klingon Gambit
    By Robert E. Vardeman

ST TOS: First Strike
    By Shlomo Nakdimon

ST TNG: The Peacekeepers
    By Gene DeWeese

ST TOS: That Which Divides
    By Dayton Ward

ST DS9: Trial by Error
    By Mark Garland

All of the ebooks are available until January 31st.

All the thanks goes to @historypeats and at @Avro Arrow for beating me to it, as I was putting this all together. LOL GREAT TIMING on my part. :) But, I also wanted to let everyone know the end date for the deals too.

I also wanted to say Happy New Year 2021, and sending best wishes to everyone on the forums!!!

Please be safe and well.
    -Koric

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    Corran Horn, Avro Arrow and Indysolo like this.
  16. Happenstance

Happenstance Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Have the UK ones come through yet?

17. David Weller

David Weller Commander Red Shirt

As far as I can see, it’s the above apart from Battlestations and The Klingon Gambit (which are not even available as ebooks on AmazonUK)

Happenstance likes this.
  18. DeepSpaceYorks

DeepSpaceYorks Commander Red Shirt

Can I read the first book of Invasion as a standalone?

19. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes. The Invasion! novels are all pretty standalone, though there’s a slightly stronger link between the TNG and VOY books.

Corran Horn and DeepSpaceYorks like this.
  20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Bought the TOS books that were on sale this month.

DeepSpaceYorks likes this.