• D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D-

• F

• Total voters
Crossposting this from the other Dune thread
Putting this comment here - along with a spoiler - because it's more generally related to both films rather than being specific to Dune Part 2, but the
reveal that Baron Harkonnen is Lady Jessica's father
has me thinking about a line that was included in Part 1 ("You have a wonderful kitchen, cousin") and makes me wonder if Denis, Jon Spaihts, and Eric Roth might've meant that line to be taken literally (as opposed to Formally, as in the novel), which would actually be a cool little nod to the above-mentioned spoiler.

The worms are the worms.
The spice is the spice.
The worms are not the spice.
The spice is not the worms.
laughing-lol.gif

Is there a date for BluRay also? Two months seems to be the new norm, lately.

It's available for pre order but I don't think an actual date is out yet.

I'm still holding out for the special edition in the IMAX ratio. Denis said in an interview they are coming. He thought the first had already been released :shrug:

What are the odds they come out with a Blue-Ray supercut combining Parts 1 and 2 and calling it a new movie - Dune?

Low. Denis doesn't do alternative cuts. I expect a blue ray with both in one package, but not both cut into one movie.
I appreciate this quote from Villeneuve:
It seems as if his scenes will never see the light of day as no director’s cut of the film is planned, with the filmmaker telling Collider: “I’m a strong believer that when it’s not in the movie, it’s dead. I kill darlings, and it’s painful for me.”

Difficult stance but I think it's a good one. The film making process is about decisions.

While it's a shame we won't ever see director's cuts from him, I fully respect Villeneuve's reasoning behind not doing them.

As for combining the two films, he went to great lengths to make the first film conclude in such a way that doesn't feel like a cliffhanger, simply the natural conclusion of that part of the story (much like The Lord of the Rings). Combining the two films would miss the point of the means of devising that ending.

Villeneuve says he won't put deleted scenes back.

‘Dune: Part Two’ Deleted Scenes Will Not Be Released

“I’m a strong believer that when it’s not in the movie, it’s dead,” the director told Collider when asked if he will release deleted scenes from the film for its upcoming Blu-ray release. “Sometimes I remove shots and I say, ‘I cannot believe I’m cutting this out. I feel like a samurai opening my gut. It’s painful, so I cannot go back after that and create a Frankenstein and try to reanimate things that I killed. It’s too painful. When it’s dead, it’s dead, and it’s dead for a reason. But yes, it is a painful project, but it is my job. The movie prevails. I’m very severe in the editing room. I’m not thinking about my ego, I’m thinking about the movie … I kill darlings, and it’s painful for me.

Is there a date for BluRay also? Two months seems to be the new norm, lately.
No date has been announced. I'm personally expecting it around June based on how long after the theatrical release Part 1 was released on Blu-Ray. But that's strictly me talking out of my ass and shouldn't be taken as a serious indication by anyone else.

Reading between the lines, was Tim Blake Nelson meant to play Count Fenring?

Villeneuve says he won't put deleted scenes back.

‘Dune: Part Two’ Deleted Scenes Will Not Be Released

All together now-----

We want Thufir.
We want Thufir.
We want Thufir.
We want Thufir.

If they had omitted five minutes of Chani's continuous griping, Thufir needn't have had the rug pulled out under him for the third time. All that loyalty to the Duke with zero payoff.

So I'm still thinking it seems like they changed the Fremen translation of "long live the fighters"?

it's supposed to be "ya hya chouhada"

I enjoyed it a lot. Stunning cinematography and sound design. Some really well put together setpieces when the Fremen were raiding spice harvesters and such. Acting was good all round with no real weak links (Christopher Walken didn't really get much though.) Didn't feel like it dragged at all even at over two and a half hours, so it's hard to see where they could have fit in some of the missing scenes from the book. And having just re-read the book I was certainly aware of how much was moved around, changed or just outright omitted. The movie keeps its focus on telling the story of Paul trying to avoid his destiny, and, as much as this is internalised in the book, it makes a lot of sense to have Chani and Jessica personifying the two sides of this. Zendaya does a very good "this jihad shit is a bit much!" face and Chani certainly has a ton more to do here in the book and I think that's for the best. And Rebecca Ferguson is excellent as this version of Jessica, possibly the best performance in the movie. I did think maybe they went too far with her at the end when she looks so excited about the holy war beginning though?

Austin Butler (or was it MATT SMITH?) was a lot of fun as Feyd, a worthy successor to Sting. I loved how Geidi Prime looked and the weird fireworks and everything. Javier Bardem was so good at playing all sides of Stilgar and has the funniest moments.

There are definitely moments, lines ("Tell me again of the waters of your homeworld, Usul"; "She gives water to the dead!"; "Try looking into that place where you dare not look! You'll find me there, staring out at you!" and characters (actual born murder toddler Alia! But I did appreciate the ten seoncds of Anya Taylor-joy) I miss from the book but I can understand why they were left out and I'm not going to argue the movie would have been better with them. I DO think it would have improved the stuff with the Emperor somewhat if they'd included the Spacing Guild. It wouldn't have taken much time and would have helped explain how Paul is able to take control and how the Fremen are able to carry out their holy war (can Fremen even fly spaceships? I guess so, here!)

But yeah it's good I like watching worms kill people.

Last edited:
Back