Poll Dune (2021) Spoiler/Rating Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by wayoung, Sep 1, 2021.

?

Rating?

1. A+

18 vote(s)
    23.4%
  2. A

26 vote(s)
    33.8%
  3. A-

14 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. B+

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  5. B

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  6. B-

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  7. C+

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  8. C

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  9. C-

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

My mom has never read the book or seen the other adaptations, so she went in completely blind. I have read Dune, but there are a lot of movie and TV adaptations, that I watch without familiarity with the source material, and I really appreciate it when people use spoiler warnings and codes for stuff from the source material. I'm actually planning on watching the Wheel of Time series on Amazon Prime and there is almost no way I'm going to be able to get through Eye of the World before it comes out on the 19th.

2. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

I've been watching YouTube reaction videos today as well, from people going in completely blind, and they are hooked, totally wrapped up in the film. So on that score Denis completely nailed it to the wall. They all want to see the second half, and a few are saying they want to go to the theater and watch it again in IMAX. :techman:

Commander Troi and wayoung like this.
  3. JoseNoodles

JoseNoodles Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The film had excellent production values and soundtrack. The acting was good. I was mightily disappointed that the story was split in two. There was a lot padding and extra scenes that contributed nothing. I think the whole story could have been told in 2 and half hours. It's more annoying considering the movie has yet to make back its budget, putting the production of part 2 in doubt.

4. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Stunning visuals and riveting score made for a very enjoyable revisiting of this story.

Minus the ending, I thought it had pretty much all the same story beats I remember from the Lynch version, which I think gives credit to Lynch.

I do hope it gets the ending it deserves, and sequels if there is any more story worth telling.

Commander Troi likes this.
  5. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

It’s crazy to think that there was still an hour left of the movie after the attack. It didn’t need to be that long

6. yotsuya

yotsuya Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The sinking of the Titanic is one of those epic stories that everyone on this planet should know.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just out of curiosity, have you read the book?

8. yotsuya

Well there's quite a bit in the first movie. There's quite a bit of sci-fi channel version. So an hour left is not surprising considering how much story is in that section.

9. yotsuya

You seem to think I was saying that the 84 movie didn't change the ending. That's not what I said.

If they do something that substantially changes the story that is worthy of spoiler notification. If they don't change the story there are no spoilers because anyone can look up what happens. Anyone. A book, two movies, this movie of the first half of the story. All of them are pretty much the same. Spoiler should only apply if there's something new and different and exciting that no one's expecting. Plotting along the same old story with the same points means there are no spoilers.

10. thribs

Didn’t feel as drawn out in the miniseries, and they had additional scenes.

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It's also a historical event, not a story. As such, a greater chance for familiarity than a SF novel.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  12. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

And? Not everyone does.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  13. thribs

If you lived in Belfast it’s hard not to know. :)

14. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And you're the only one who feels that way. You asked a question and have been answered.

15. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Spoilers mean different things. Some people don't want a game ruined for them by even a score. Not sure why this is in question.

Also a great point. Not everyone enjoys reading or history. Films are entirely different matter.

16. JoseNoodles

Yes, I have. I know the book is not the quickest read, but that doesn't mean a film adaptation has to be as slow paced. It doesn't have to add content to prolong the length of the film. Like that bit with Idaho finding Paul and Jessica and going to Kynes' lab seemed unnecessary. Kynes sacrifice, while more action pack in the film than in the book, ultimately doesn't add or change much about the story either. I mean if they wanted to add content, maybe they should have somehow worked in Count Fenring and his wife ;)

17. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It does have a storytelling purpose. It shows how and why thumpers are used, and how they call worms. That's why Villeneuve focused so much on it, so we'd understand what happens a short time later when Jamis uses one to save Paul & Jessica. And so we'd understand what Jamis means when he says he saved them with his thumper. It also shows the Fremen worship of the worms to a greater extent than before, and provides another example of desert power defeating Sardaukur.

It's not my favourite scene in the movie, but it has multiple purposes.

Edit: It also replaces the scene from the books where the Fremen kamikaze the Sardaukur troop transport, showing the Fremen discipline and utilitarian approach to battle/death. Now it's Kyne's suiciding herself to kill the Sardaukur.

18. JoseNoodles

Ok, good point. It does establish the importance of thumpers and the Fremen's reverence for sandworms in a way that doesn't require much exposition. As someone familiar with the story and its re-tellings, the importance of the thumpers and sandworms seems like a given to me, but I forget that not everyone who watches the movie will have read the novel or even be familiar with the story beforehand.

Commander Troi and wayoung like this.
  19. thribs

Arrakis really needs Burt Gumner. Then those pesky worms won’t be a problem.

Mr. Adventure likes this.
  20. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

...the sandworms are only a problem for the offworlders. Not for the Fremen.

Commander Troi likes this.