Poll Dune (2021) Spoiler/Rating Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by wayoung, Sep 1, 2021.

?

Rating?

1. A+

18 vote(s)
    23.4%
  2. A

26 vote(s)
    33.8%
  3. A-

14 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. B+

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  5. B

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  6. B-

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  7. C+

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  8. C

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  9. C-

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

Hartzilla2007 likes this.
  2. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Hear that, Titan cheapskates?

Commander Troi likes this.
  3. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

The shooting script has leaked online, a ‘For Your Consideration’ entry for the Academy Awards.

- When Paul describes Duncan’s death in his vision, he mentions Duncan was clean-shaven. “Whew, okay, not gonna die! I shave for no man!” Paul also mentions he started getting visions of Arrakis a month before anyone talked of them moving there.
    - Duncan gets a send-off party before heading to Arrakis (this is where Gurney plays the baliset). “Duncan, you’re a fine fighting man, but you look like a barbarian,” Leto tells him. “Tonight, that beard comes off.” Duncan gets an ‘oh SHIT’ look on his face as Gurney hands Leto a trimmer. We then see Duncan leave Caladan the next morning, clean-shaven and sharing a haunted-looking farewell wave with Paul.
    - An extra bit of dialogue from the Baron when he first talks to Rabban: “To break a virtuous man, give him a burden too heavy to bear. A lesser man would drop it: but a good man will carry it ‘til it crushes him.”
    - Extra dialogue from the Reverend Mother in the box scene. After Paul pulls his hand out of the box: "No woman-child ever withstood so much. I must’ve wanted you to fail." Then, after 'You have more than one birthright': "You’ve proven you can rule yourself. Now you must learn to rule others. It’s something none of your ancestors learned." (heard in the trailer)
    - When the Atreides vessels emerge from the Guild Heighliner over Arrakis, we get our first glimpse of Stilgar as he watches from the surface. “So… he has come.”
    - Just after the scene of Paul at the palm trees, Leto receives an ornate chest in his office – filled with severed human fingers. The note inside reads: “My dear cousin Leto, welcome to Arrakis. There’s a lot to learn. I thought I’d give you a few pointers. Baron Vladimir Harkonnen.” Gurney studies one of the orange-tipped fingers, and concludes: “Spice workers.”
    - Paul has a vision of a long-haired, dirty-looking Gurney, in Fremen garb with blue-on-blue eyes. “They say everybody here is addicted to it,” Gurney’s voiceover is heard over this, as he prepares and smokes spice from a hookah. “They say it’s everywhere - in the food, in the air…I say it’s good for the spirit.”
    - After Paul reveals Jessica’s pregnancy to her, there’s a moment after she leaves where he stares at the sandworm fresco on the wall with a troubled gaze. Shadout Mapes approaches him. “You are touched by Shai-Hulud. The vision is a gift. Don’t be afraid to see.”
    - Leto then approaches Paul as he stares out at the city at night, noting how much the Lisan-al-Gaib legend troubles him. “Legend is a pretty word for a lie,” Paul says. “I think you’re afraid it might be true,” Leto replies. Startled at how perceptive his father is of his troubles, Paul bares his soul: “How can I make my way if my destiny was written before I was born?” Leto’s answer: “If I tell you one day you’ll find yourself on a mountaintop… what does that change? You still have to climb the mountain. Destiny grants us nothing - and takes nothing away. We have to fight and bleed for the future we want. Because when all’s said and done, there’s only one way to find out if a prophecy is true… we earn it.” The two hug.
    - After Jessica vows to Leto that she’ll protect Paul (which ISN'T in this script!), and Yueh hands Paul his sleeping pill, Leto gives Duncan a small object and sign-language tells him: “Leave at dawn. Give this message to the Fremen. Trust no one.”
    - Gurney originally sang a sad song on his baliset (‘They Call No More’) inside the Arrakeen barracks to the troops. The song would have played over Leto and Jessica’s quiet bedtime moment.
    - After the battle, Hawat is bound and dragged before a gloating Piter. His only words: “Checkmate, old friend.”
    - In Paul’s vision of Jamis as his friend, Jamis says: “Deep in your heart, you know it’s not you. You are not the One. Don't take that burden on your shoulders. You are free.”

What WASN’T in what was listed as the ‘Final Shooting Script,’ but we know was shot, was:

- Jessica and Paul martial-arts sparring
    - Dr. Yueh giving Paul the Orange Catholic Bible
    - Jessica getting Dr. Yueh to open up about his wife
    - The hunter-seeker attack (which made it into the final film!!!)

Commander Troi and David cgc like this.
  4. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

other than the Box scene, I don't think any of the others from the shooting script would have added to the story.

5. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"They tried and died." Is one of my fav lines in the book and I was pretty disappointed and surprised it didn't make it into the final film. I wonder if it was in the script.

6. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Sorry, it's not. I reckon Jessica will be saying it to Paul in Part II, as he contemplates taking the Water of Life himself after seeing her do it.

7. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

We saw it again today, but in a theater this time, and WOW. It made a real difference - a far more immersive experience.

8. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Jodo’s Dune book from Aviaplans just sold for a mint as per CBR. Nearly 3 million

9. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think a rerelease of Dune with some more footage would be huge at the BO next year. I still think the film needs some more Yueh scenes to get that real gut-punch of betrayal.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think they ever once mentioned any of those wars in my schools. The only reason I've even heard of them was because of all the historical dramas and documentaries I watch.
    Was it leaked or released on purpose? For a while Disney publicly released all of their potential Oscar scripts on their own website.

11. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

13. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

Not in the shooting script but I think the scene with Dr. Yueh would have been important as his motivation is vague in the movie

14. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

In the book, it's Jessica who falls more under suspicion by Thufir Hawat, who seems oblivious to the possibility that someone such as Yueh might be coerced and thereby his conditioning compromised. For her sake, it was a good job he didn't know who her father was. It always seemed a bit odd to me that the Bene Gesserit could foist their sisters onto the great houses as concubines without any vetting.

15. Marc

when you think of how manipulative the B.G's are it shouldn't and the important they placed on the breeding program it shouldn't come as surprise.

For the some-one in one of the Great Houses, being a Bene Gesserit would probably be enough anyway.

16. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Dune has been nominated for the following Oscar categories:

Best Picture
    Best Adapted Screenplay
    Best Original Score
    Best Sound
    Best Production Design
    Best Cinematography
    Best Makeup and Hairstyling
    Best Costume Design
    Best Film Editing
    Best Visual Effects

Undoubtedly, it'll win some of the technical awards. It's very unlikely it'll win Best Picture. If anything, it would be the second film a la Lord of the Rings but I wouldn't hold my breath no matter how good it is. Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Original Score at least seem possible.

17. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Best Sound definitely

18. Marc

also been nominated for a raft of BAFTAs.

19. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With that many Oscar nominations they HAVE to re-release it in theaters, no? (Westside story too)

20. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They've been re-releasing it in IMAX regularly, basically whenever IMAX has a blank spot on its schedule they've been tossing it back in to fill it, since it's such a money maker for them. Check your local schedule each week.

I just want a blue ray with the IMAX ratio. I refuse to buy the current one as is. Such an obvious double dip.