Dumbass Japanese and Greenpeace ramming in Australian waters!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by TheMasterOfOrion, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I suspect that one day Sea Shepherd's actions will result in *them* committing murder, but even I wouldn't advocate killing them. Not unless it's in self defense of course. ;)

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

The high seas are a little different than being in someone's terrestrial territory. Different laws apply, and there's considerably more discretion and autonomy for those who ply the oceans. That's why we still have things like piracy.

In my opinion, what the Japanese do is not substantially different from piracy: they take what the law says they cannot, and then engage in violence against those who try to stop them. Fuck 'em. I hope the Sea Shepherds sink every last Japanese whaling ship they find.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ And what if a Sea Shepherd action *does* end up costing a human life? Would you be so quick to defend them then?

I'm not denying that whaling needs to be stopped, but if the Japanese are not allowed to commit violence against whales, then "S.S." cannot be allowed to commit violence against *them*.

4. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

then you have no clue as to what entails murder.

Please read a law book.

5. Robert Maxwell

No, I wouldn't condone taking human lives--on either side. Since the Sea Shepherds are not trying to do that--they are only trying to harass the Japanese out of committing their crimes--I don't have much of a problem with what they do.

6. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

You should have left that at "somehow I don't think," because that's how you typically respond to topics. You make a naïve emotional argument without doing any research or logically thinking things through first. Hence the "I hope they shoot back at the terrorists!" comment.

No shit. Welcome to my first post in this topic where I already established that a couple of pages ago. Does calling them vigilantes and vandals strike you as saying their actions are legally justified? But then, you already knew I said that and you're just trying to misrepresent what the disagreement here is.

To clarify though, I've got no problem with blocking the operations of whaling ships at sea (which is what they were doing here) or scaring away the whales to prevent them from getting killed. What I do have a problem with is scuttling and deliberately ramming ships, because even if there is no intent to harm anyone, the possibility is there.

The military and law enforcement agencies of the non-whaling international community aren't doing anything. Have you missed that part the last several times it's been mentioned?

Yeah, well, you've been backpedaling furiously ever since you made your first comment advocating exactly that.

7. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

And harrastment in small boats doesn't go anywhere near the basis for murder (intent) - however deliberately running over that small boat with a much large vessel when the collision could of been avoided i,e the ramming was deliberate could be arged as intent.

8. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I can't say about the laser lights, but they certainly used an LRAD (Long Range Acoustic Device) against a helicopter. I've seen that on film.

9. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

I'm with you. I always cheer for the Japanese while watching the show only because the SS asses put human lives at risk.

Not that I really like whaling. And I really dislike what they do to the poor dolphins. :(

10. Robert Maxwell

They are primarily risking their own lives, in order to save species that are protected by international law. More power to 'em.

11. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

Primarily, but they are also risking the people on the research vessels.

12. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Locutus is on a roll in this thread.

13. Robert Maxwell

Once again, my favorite mod of all time.

14. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I was pissed that he made the comment about MoO blaming Ron Moore. I was all ready to come in and say the same. I imagine he took one of his Moore rants, changed a few words and posted the opening post because it reads just like it.

15. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Research vessels? Congratulations on being the only person actually buying into that lame cover story. Plenty of cowards on the International Whaling Commission accept it because they don't want to have to deal with the problem (which is why people like Greenpeace and Sea Shepherd have to step up - albeit with different methods), but everyone knows it's bullshit.

I'm sure the Japanese learn so much by slaughtering 1,200 whales per year, while somehow most countries manage to study whales just fine without killing them en masse.

Look at all that "research" they're doing (whaling pics, so don't look if you're squeamish):

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5046/yushinmaru2503136432615.jpg
    http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/2446/japwhaling500x500t32564.jpg
    http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/6365/minke216849192.jpg
    http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/3563/whalejapan3wideweb470x3.jpg
    http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/1276/563588446971547.jpg

16. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

I ain't down with whaling either. But two wrongs don't make a right. And this comical band of idiotic amateurs are going to cause a real mess on the seas at some point.

17. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

Yes. Perhaps their time would be better spent with political persuasion. Change their research focus to the other other other white meat - manatees. Although with global cooling killing some manatees off they could study polar bears.

18. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

One thing I really wonder is why the Sea Sheppards don't take a little direct action to the whaling ships. And by direct action I mean setting a charge on the side of the whaling ship and sinking the damn thing.

After a few sinkings the insurance costs would bring whaling to a stop.

Not that I advocate such actions but the logic seems compelling.

19. darthraidr

darthraidr Commodore Commodore

ugh, how anyone can side with the sea shepherds is beyond my understanding... have you not watched the show? the sea shepherds are an incompetent lot, their captain is focused far more on media attention than the well being of his crew.

South Park, Cartman doesn't care

yes, whaling is bad. fix the problem through the proper channels, not weak ass vigilante acts... not by lying about what happens and playing the victim card when your own retarded actions come back to bite you in the ass...

20. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

A couple of reasons. One, they don't actually want to cost human life. Even if they equate whales as pretty close to humans, they don't tend to see them as superior. Two, they'd lose their flag and registry because no nation would support them. Then they would legally be pirates and pretty much be screwed because the Japanese government could use their full resources against them.