DuckTales reboot coming to Disney XD in 2017

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Chris3123, Feb 26, 2015.

1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I hope you feel better soon but at least you have excellent company. Enjoy!

2. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

That was a lot of fun! And darn it, seeing the Three Caballeros reunited was a hoot!

3. The Nth Doctor

I loved the Christmas special. A wonderful double twist on A Christmas Carol, both for Scrooge and Dewey, and we get to see more of Scrooge's past along with young Della and emo Donald (:lol:). Lots of nostalgia for all, including glimpses of living Duckworth, young Beakley (flirting with the Ghost of Christmas Future, because of course), earlier Beagle Boys, and a fleeting moment of Goldie.

Plus, we get to another glimpse of Della madly working on the moon. She promises a reunion soon and I hope that's true. I don't want them dragging that out much longer.

Best moment: "Ugh, time travelers." :guffaw:

Dick Whitman likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

That was great! Did you notice Russi Taylor voiced young Donald? She voiced Huey, Dewey, and Louie on the original Ducktales. Which is fitting because before her the triplets were usually voiced by Clarence Nash in the exact same voice as he did for Donald Duck.

I read in another forum the end credits done in tribute to the opening credits for “Mickey’s Christmas Carol” were done by the exact same artist!!! Though I am annoyed because I watch the show though the “Disney Now” app and they reduce the end credits to a really small size. I am going to try and find a better way to watch it.

Random_Spock likes this.
  5. The Nth Doctor

Oh, of course! I saw her name in the credits and recognized it, but I failed to put the two and two together.

Nice bit of trivia about the end credits art. I wouldn't have noticed that connection because I don't think I've ever seen Mickey's Christmas Carol.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

You should. There are a lot of references to it in the episode. Jiminy Cricket played the role of the Ghost of Christmas Past. Which is why it’s a cricket here.

7. The Nth Doctor

Yeah, the A.V. Club review noted that the three ghosts here were references to that special.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I like Russi Taylor's Donald voice better than Tony Anselmo's. It sounds like Donald Duck, but you can actually understand the words.

Speaking of words, I love it that "Wendigo" turned out to be "When'd 'e go?" And they spent the first half setting up that gag with the repeated reminders that time travel is about going "when" rather than "where."

9. The Nth Doctor

Yeah, I loved the wordplay with Wendigo, too. I figured it out pretty quickly but it was still fun to watch it play out.

10. The Nth Doctor

The show finally returns tomorrow with "What Ever Happened To Della Duck?!"

Snaploud likes this.
  11. Peach Wookiee

I am watching right now.

12. Christopher

Pretty bold to build an entire episode around an essentially new character, with only the briefest glimpse of Scrooge. Focusing exclusively on Della's survival narrative made the story pretty intense and emotionally engaging, although I had to struggle to suspend disbelief about the cartoon science. (Okay, even if chewing special gum supplies you with oxygen on the nigh-airless moon, how does it make sound travel? And how the heck did that photograph waft down from the ship?)

And yeah, Della is Donald's sister, all right. They have the same temper.

13. Peach Wookiee

I want to know how...
    did a limb amputation with no anesthesia!!

14. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Tourniquet anesthesia would make the most sense. Apply a broad low pressure tourniquet for thirty minutes, and you should be able to remove the limb without major pain. In this case, the crushing weight on the leg may have acted as a tourniquet. Alternatively, it's possible Della was able to create a make-shift tourniquet ala the guy from the movie 127 Hours.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  15. The Nth Doctor

I didn't get to watch until today but it was well worth the wait. I love the long-awaited heavy focus on Della and what she's been doing all these years. I initially didn't like the reveal that she's been just on the Moon this whole time, but the episode quickly established the pain of Della being so close yet so far away.

I really enjoyed the conflict between Della and herself, Della and the rocket not working, and Della and the moonmite, to the point that I really didn't like the reveal that there was alien civilization living underground this whole time and Della never noticed them (or vice versa). She was there for ten years, four of which she spent actively exploring the Moon for gold and yet never saw them or any evidence of them, nor did she remark on this discrepancy upon meeting them.

So while the third act was a bit deflating in that regard, I still loved the overall episode. I just didn't see the need for the Moon people because Della could've easily resolved her conflict with the moonmite without them and then discover a secret cache of gold because of the moonmite.

Yeah, the cartoon science was definitely sketchy but once the moonmite appeared, I was willing to suspend all disbelief.

16. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hearing the Moon Theme from the NES game in the show was already a wonderful treat, but then Disney went and added lyrics to it. I love this show.

For Comparison:

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  17. Christopher

I don't get why people get nostalgic for the tinny music from the DuckTales video game rather than the spectacularly rich, orchestral Ron Jones score for the TV series. I guess maybe it's just a matter of repeated exposure for people who played the game a lot. But to me, it sounds terrible. Pretty melody, but poor execution.

18. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Spot's Meow Premium Member

Do we know when the next episode airs? I thought with last week's Della episode we were going to be back for a few, but I didn't see a new one today, and can't find any information about when it airs.

19. The Nth Doctor

Yeah, I thought we were getting a new run of episodes, too, but I also couldn't find anything. The one useful page I found was for the month of March and it seems that's all we're getting for this month.

20. Teelie

Teelie Vice Admiral Admiral

It is odd. There is nothing else listed for when new episodes will air. Surely they will be within the next month though.